Nikon 28-70 f2.8 repairable?

Edit My Images
No
Was taking it out to shoot on saturday and i accidentally knock the lens by some accident while hanging it in my black rapid strap.

Now the afs motor sometimes work and sometime doesn't.

Looks like is broken.

I've contacted my insurance, they ask me to get some estimate cost for the repair or some kind of letter if is not repairable and then send the claim form to them.

The lens mount feels abit funny now when attaching the lens and of course the focus motor is faulty. How likely can this lens be fix or repair to new state?

I'm not really bother whether this lens is replace with the newer 24-70 f2.8 or restore this lens back to new. I'm perfectly happy with the optic on the 28-70 f2.8.

Probably best to do what your insurance company has asked and either take to a repair place, or send it off for an estimate

I doubt they will take the work of a few folks opinion on a forum as an estimate of repair costs, and without anyone seeing it, i'm not sure how people on here are going to be able to tell you if it's repairable or not o_O

I don't mean that, the lens is going to calumet tomorrow to get the Nikon authorize tech to check it out. By the sound of the conversation with Imaging Insurance the claim should be smooth process. Is just I can't send the claim form to them until I get a proper estimate quote on the repair etc. I've never claim anything before in my life so I'm just unsure what to do thats all.

I'm just seeking to see have anyone actually repair this lens in recent years and see how much it cost them etc. Initially the guy in Calumet said to me the lens is the mk1 version of the Nikon fast mid zoom and the parts for the lens might be difficult to source and to restore the lens back to new state might proven to be difficult.

To behonest I would prefer this 28-70 f2.8 then the newer 24-70 f2.8 because of the aperture ring. I can shoot video easier with aperture ring on the lens as well.

Tried this lens again and auto focus still works and in fact the squeak noise original was their was gone too.

I will still get it check by the tech and see what happen. If the repair cost is ok i might as well paid it myself and No bother claiming.

my experience is that 9 times out oa 10 a repair is never as good as a replacement.always found things just arent quite the same once something has taken a knock. so if the option is there to get replacement i would choose that just inc ase some point down the road the repair starts having issues then you have to go through the whole circle of testing and repair again.

The insurance want to see quote for repair and replacement.

Replacement would cost 1300 pounds approx and if repair cost 500-600 pounds, the insurance company will most likely to go down the repair route.

Of course if they offer replacement i would take the 24-70.

Got a quote from Calumet and the repair will cost £189.00 inc VAT for parts, labour, clean and check for the lens. My insurance want £150 excess (on my policy) for the claim. For the sake of £40 I didn't proceed with the claim and go ahead and paid for it myself.

If the lens is not repairable then different case.

I actually ask that on the phone, the insurance company said it will only affect my premium if I actually proceed with the claim and they paid out. Otherwise if I don't wish to proceed the claim, it won't affect my premium. I need to up my value next time anyway so the cost will increase lol.

Back