Nikon 28-70mm f2.8 af-s d making squeaky noises?

Name
Wei
Edit My Images
No
Hi all, I was wondering if anyone's encountered this problem either with the same lens or with any others. It happens especially in low light if the camera is struggling to focus.

I've done a few searches on the net and some people have said that it is common and I shouldn't have to worry if it is squeaks during manual focus.
Any ideas what it could be? Thanks .

Wei

It is fairly common on aging Nikon lenses, I've had a few that have done it. If it squeaks in Auto and Manual the focusing system lubrication has dried up or is no longer effective. If it just squeaks in Auto then it could be the autofocus motor on the way out, slightly more of an issue. On some older lenses the motors are no longer available so there's not much you can do about it.
I just used mine and didn't worry about it.

Last edited:
Could well be the focus motor on the way out. My 80-200 AF-S did it for the first few focus actions then would settle down and be quiet. I put up with it for year or so until I got more missed focus problems shooting my lad's football matches and sent it to Nikon who replaced the motor [at a not inconsiderable cost].

Bottom line, if it's working fine, don't worry about. If it's actually beginning to miss focus more, then it could be expensive.

Thank you both for the replies. Much appreciated. I forgot to mention that I actually sent the lens in for repair with nikon about 3 years ago. In that span of time I've had about 10,000 actuations with the lens attached. I've never been rough with my kit.

Deckard , when did you get it fixed with nikon? My concern is as wee jock says, some motors may already be discontinued. If so, it'll be quite painful if I can no longer fix the autofocus should it go wrong.

Thank you both for the replies. Much appreciated. I forgot to mention that I actually sent the lens in for repair with nikon about 3 years ago. In that span of time I've had about 10,000 actuations with the lens attached. I've never been rough with my kit.

Deckard , when did you get it fixed with nikon? My concern is as wee jock says, some motors may already be discontinued. If so, it'll be quite painful if I can no longer fix the autofocus should it go wrong.

Don't worry about this lens not being able to be fixed it can be. It's still one of the mainstay lenses used by professional photographers. Nikon will support it.

Only last month as it happens. I was quite worried about my 80-200 AF-S as they were only made in relatively small numbers and I'd read tales of people not being able to get the motors, but it wasn't a problem. As Nick says though, the 28-70 was a much more widely used bit of kit, support shouldn't be an issue if you need it.

I got the same lens that the auto focus die. It was squeaking for 2 years before it die.Went back to Nikon and the repair cost is £700.

Dunno if the 28-70 should cost more or whether it depends on the repair, but my 80-200 cost a slightly more reasonable [if still painful] £410 to fix.

Could you guys recommend any alternatives to Nikon for servicing (an attempt at prolonging it's life) or motor replacement ?

And just out of curiosity, does the newer 24-70mm have the same issues and lifespan?

Dunno if the 28-70 should cost more or whether it depends on the repair, but my 80-200 cost a slightly more reasonable [if still painful] £410 to fix.
I've also got a 80-200mm f2.8! Hoping that it won't squeak at me anytime soon.

I had the SWM replaced in my 70-200mm vr2 replaced last month at fixation - the motor cost about £160 and the labour was about the same. Total cost was £350.

Could you guys recommend any alternatives to Nikon for servicing (an attempt at prolonging it's life) or motor replacement ?

And just out of curiosity, does the newer 24-70mm have the same issues and lifespan?

I'd love to know how much it would have cost with Nikon, I can't see it being cheaper though.
I wouldn't have thought so. For my 80-200, Nikon charged me £188 for the SWM, £10 for a misc part and £139 for the labour, but then VAT on top of that.

Fixation and Lehmann's are the two names I see frequently used on the forum for repairs alongside the manufacturers.

Back