Nikon 2nd body dilemma?

Lester

Coming Out
Name
Lester
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, I currently have a D90 and I'm looking for a second body, but I'm not which model to go for? I have a budget of around £400-£500, so I don't know whether to go for something new to replace my D90 and use my D90 as the backup or go for a second hand D90? My current D90 must have taken around 70,000 or more and has been faultless. I love my D90, but I don't know if there anything better for the money or to just stick to what I know? I don't want to go down a model from a D90. This is mainly for motorsports and airshows, where I keep finding myself wanting to change lens, but I know I wouldn't have time and end up missing shots. I use mainly a Sigma 150-500mm, but sometimes that is too big. I don't mind either new or second hand, if a more expensive model new is outside my budget.

Has anyone got any suggestions? :shrug:

Thanks. I'll have a look out for those. Although they do seem to be at the very top or beyond my budget, even at second hand.

There has been a few floating around in the classifieds lately.

Rob

If your shooting mainly motorsports & airshows then I would happily say D300 every time.

You'll get a low mileage one for your budget and they're solid with great AF.

Why spend more when it should do all you need.

Thanks for all the quick replies. I'm swaying towards the D7000, but is it full frame? I know my D90 is not. If it is, what would be the main differences? I'm thinking that if I was to put my Sigma 150-500mm on it, I wouldn't get as far as if it was on the D90?

If your shooting mainly motorsports & airshows then I would happily say D300 every time.

Thanks. I'll look into that.

+111

d300 (not the s) may not be. MPB have some under £400

Just curious, but why not the D300s? Surely that's the latest model? Is the D300 better than the 's' model?

Easy. D300s. Best Nikon dx body bar none.
Bolt a (copy) mb-d10 and some AA batteries and it'll do 8 fps.
And it feels like a camera should.
As for budget, you should be able to find one.
End of.

Easy. D300s. Best Nikon dx body bar none.
Bolt a (copy) mb-d10 and some AA batteries and it'll do 8 fps.
And it feels like a camera should.
As for budget, you should be able to find one.
End of.

Sorted then, best request a mod close the thread.

Thanks for all the quick replies. I'm swaying towards the D7000, but is it full frame? I know my D90 is not. If it is, what would be the main differences? I'm thinking that if I was to put my Sigma 150-500mm on it, I wouldn't get as far as if it was on the D90?

No the d7000 isn't full frame.
The d300s only really adds video over the d300.

D300 or d7000 would be my choice.

Hi, I currently have a D90 and I'm looking for a second body, but I'm not which model to go for? I have a budget of around £400-£500, so I don't know whether to go for something new to replace my D90 and use my D90 as the backup or go for a second hand D90? My current D90 must have taken around 70,000 or more and has been faultless. I love my D90, but I don't know if there anything better for the money or to just stick to what I know? I don't want to go down a model from a D90. This is mainly for motorsports and airshows, where I keep finding myself wanting to change lens, but I know I wouldn't have time and end up missing shots. I use mainly a Sigma 150-500mm, but sometimes that is too big. I don't mind either new or second hand, if a more expensive model new is outside my budget.

Has anyone got any suggestions? :shrug:

Theres a D300 just come up in the classified for £370. Sounds very well looked after and that's what I'd go for.

The D300 is a fine camera and a fair upgrade from a D90. However I was a little disappointed in how it handles shooting above 1600 I.S.O, I found the D7000 to be better.

Depends what you are looking for really if you don't shoot above 1600 I.S.O the D300 will probably be your best option. Much better a.f system than the D7000 and controls and handling are also much better. The D7000 has quite a poor buffer so if shooting at higher fps the D300 especially with the grip is the clear choice.

No the d7000 isn't full frame.
The d300s only really adds video over the d300.

It adds one or two things more. ;)

720p / 24 fps HD video recording
External stereo sound input
Basic in-camera movie editing
Faster 7 fps continuous shooting (6 fps on the D300)
Dual CF and SD card slots (CF only on the D300)
D3 style multi-controller on the camera rear
Interactive settings display screen
Dedicated Live View button (LV is a drive mode on the D300)
Dedicated Info button
Type C HDMI interface (Type A on the D300)
Auto and Extra High Active D-Lighting options
Virtual horizon
In-camera editing (RAW resizing)

OK, a lot of that is to do with the video, but for the OP, 7 fps (in camera) and extra card slot may be the most useful extras over the D300.

For the budget though, the D300 may be the one to go for, it has superior AF than the D7000, and more frames per second. And it is built a lot better too. ;)

Thanks for the replies. I did spot that D300s in the classified earlier, but I didn't want to mention that in case some one beat me to it.

I am more interested in the extra f/s and as I have quite a few SD cards, I would want to keep using them, rather than buying more different cards. So I think the D300s looks like the best option. Thanks everyone for the replies. Now to go hunting.

Back