Nikon 300mm 2.8 £3199 jessops !

Yes seen that this morning I've seen john Lewis following cheapest price for weekend now they were. £3399 last night guess they matched jessops and now jessops stocked out, john Lewis do good extended warranty but I think jessops were offering 3 year accidental warranty for £129 extra wish I'd pulled trigger now lol

Yes seen that this morning I've seen john Lewis following cheapest price for weekend now they were. £3399 last night guess they matched jessops and now jessops stocked out, john Lewis do good extended warranty but I think jessops were offering 3 year accidental warranty for £129 extra wish I'd pulled trigger now lol
Then you would have kicked yourself because John Lewis offer their 3 year total care warranty including accidental damage for only £50

Accidental damage

If your product is damaged accidentally, Added Care means you won’t have to pay for repairs.

Breakdown
If your product breaks down during the John Lewis guarantee period we’ll get you up and running, at no extra cost. Added Care allows you to enjoy that same level of protection for a total of 3 years.

New for old replacement
If we can’t repair your product, we’ll arrange for it to be replaced with one of the same make and model. Or, when not available, one of a similar specification.

No excess
If your product is accidentally damaged and you need to make a claim, there are no excess charges to pay and it won’t affect your home or travel insurance policies.

Worldwide cover
Your product is covered for accidental damage outside the UK for a period of up to 30 days in any 12 month period.

Collection or at-home repairs
Depending on the product, we’ll either collect it by courier for repair or arrange a call-out by one of our authorised and accredited technicians.

I'll get a dozen :-D more money than sense :-o

I've had this lens for over a year (cost me about £4000 :eek:). It is excellent wide open. It also give nice images from 1.4x TC wide open, and from 1.7x and 2x TCs when stopped down 1/3 or 2/3 of a stop. This gives me 300mm F2.8, 420mm F4, 520mm F4.8 and 600mm F5.6. It's fast enough for birds in flight even with TCs attached. With the 2x TC attached it still retains its normal close focus distance making a great long range dragonfly lens. If you can manage the budget and the heft - it's a fair old weight - you'll not get better in this mount.

Find my tamron 70-300 vc excellent, sharp all the way through to 300mm lovely build quality, focusing quick all for £250 ;-) :)

Yep broke the bank :)) and you can walk with it:-D

Last edited:
Yep broke the bank :)) and you can walk with it:-D
Joking aside, for the money its not a bad lens actually, quite sharp in the centre wide open but a bit soft at the edges, but f/5.6 just doesnt do it for me, did think it was better then the Nikon VR one though as that was soft all over at 300mm.

I find the bokeh good enough to rule out the edges subject always sharp unless I get it wrong,:-o one of the best value lenses there is

I find the bokeh good enough to rule out the edges subject always sharp unless I get it wrong,:-o one of the best value lenses there is
Thats great for portraits etc, etc where nothing towards the edge is even in focus, not so good for work which requires sharpness across the whole frame.

Well no all depends what your shooting of course

The sigma 300mm f4 a great lens if you can find one and a lot less than £4000

The sigma 300mm f4 a great lens if you can find one and a lot less than £4000
But its not f/2.8 and nowhere near as fast to AF as the 300mm f/2.8 VRII, nor will it even focus witout hunting in dark conditions, nor is it weather sealed, nor is it even still supported for spare parts by Sigma, nor is it even still made, nor has it got VR, nor is the IQ as good, nor is it as well built, the list is endlessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

True but it is built like a tank though and sharp if you have a good copy, had 2 a few years ago on a canon was a superb lens if you could live with short comings

Back