Nikon 300mm F/4 ED or ??

Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

I have an opportunity to get a Nikon 300mm F/4 ED (Model before the VR) and just wondered if it was still a good buy? I'd like to start doing more Wildlife photography but the fixed focal length is sort of putting me off.

Currently have a D7100, 35mm, 50mm and an 18-140mm (Which is a great lens but just doesn't have the distance sometimes).

If anyone prefers something else around £500 i.e Tamron or Sigma i am open to suggestions.

Thank you all :)

I was delighted with my Sigma 100-400.

Beautiful pics Oy, exactly what i'm looking to do. Will check out some reviews Mike :)

Works very well with a x1.4 on too.

Great lens for not huge money, sharp as and ultra fast to AF too.....

If the budget allows, the newer VR/PF version is as good or better apparently....

Works very well with a x1.4 on too.
Not very clued up on what i assume would be a teleconverter? Assuming they extend the focal distance? (Forgive my noobiness).
Great lens for not huge money, sharp as and ultra fast to AF too.....

If the budget allows, the newer VR/PF version is as good or better apparently....
Read a few reviews that seem to suggest AF wasn't overly impressive and some that say its amazing...guess it must be an opinion thing but pretty sure a Prime lens would focus quicker than my 35mm 1.8 and thats lightning quick to me.

Unfortunately doubling my budget isn't feasible at the moment unless i take from my other interest.

A prime will always be fast to af as less elements to move...

I had the non vr 300 f4 and loved it, but really want the newer PF version so sold it on and am saving for the newer version.

A 1.4 is indeed a teleconverter and gives you a 420mm F5.6 approx.....

A prime will always be fast to af as less elements to move...

I had the non vr 300 f4 and loved it, but really want the newer PF version so sold it on and am saving for the newer version.

A 1.4 is indeed a teleconverter and gives you a 420mm F5.6 approx.....
Any other benefits for using the Teleconverter? Is around £500 a good price for the F4? Its immaculate.

Having said that i looked up a review for the Sigma recommended by Mike and that looks like it produces some amazing images.

TC's just increase lenght and lose a stop or two...

500 is what I bought and sold mine for and that was mint to.

Thanks for all the advice, i bit the bullet and bought it, £530 all in including delivery.

Will update with some shots when it arrives :)

Well the beast arrived a couple of hours ago. Few things to note - Focus speed is on another level, it simply is lightning quick. Heavy but easy to manoeuvre and lastly - Sharpness overload. I am still at work but will upload some images when i get it out properly. Thank you kindly for the advice :)

Congrats. Superb lens and i've used mine with 1.4x and 1.7x, far more satisfied with this than I am with the 80-400G (or the lens just suits my shoddy technique better).

Back