Nikon 300mm f/4E PF ED VR

Looks like a 24-70. And that weight loss is great. Others have compared the size/weight between the two 300 mm f/4's to the difference between the two 70-200's. F2.8 and f/4.

Certainly does look like a great travel lens, the originally was fairly compact as it was! Interesting to see when this is out on the market how much the now old model 300mm f/4 will drop to in the used market!

You preordering one Bill? ;)

Hi Joe

I am away until end of Feb, going in a few days …… so not much point till I get back
but I would just like to see the odd test, but I reckon I will order one when I get back from S Africa in late Feb.
I would think that it is ideal with the TC's …. all three of them and a far better bet than the new 80 400mm VR which is about the same price

to me if it is what it says it is ……. it's ideal for my type of stuff and just what I have been waiting for…… I just wonder what the initial demand will be like

This "VR giving 4 stops of light" confuses me a little, presumably it means that a shot at 1/250 sec at f4 on the old lens will be "possible" at 1/60 sec at f4 on the new and still the same "sharpness" because of the camera shake control

….. but each stop doubles the amount of light .. so 1 is doubled to 2 …2 to 4 ……4 to 8 and 8 to 16 ……… which could be another way of looking at it .. strangely

but yes I'll get one because I use the 300mm f4 with the V1 for Dragonflies (as well as other things that fly) ……..

Certainly does look like a great travel lens, the originally was fairly compact as it was! Interesting to see when this is out on the market how much the now old model 300mm f/4 will drop to in the used market!

It's a lens ……….so I would not think it will drop much as there is a big difference between say £700, (old) and maybe £1,800, (new), when you add then hood, (is this another Nikon extra) and maybe a tripod ring, (an extra)

The old model is still great value even at the new sub £1,000 price and many should and will be happy with it

It's a lens ……….so I would not think it will drop much as there is a big difference between say £700, (old) and maybe £1,800, (new), when you add then hood, (is this another Nikon extra) and maybe a tripod ring, (an extra)

I was on about the used market value mate, just like when the 100-400mm got replaced the used prices of the older version dropped a lot, if the 300mm f/4 does the same I maybe tempted to buy the lens back...

Hi Joe

I am away until end of Feb, going in a few days …… so not much point till I get back
but I would just like to see the odd test, but I reckon I will order one when I get back from S Africa in late Feb.
I would think that it is ideal with the TC's …. all three of them and a far better bet than the new 80 400mm VR which is about the same price

to me if it is what it says it is ……. it's ideal for my type of stuff and just what I have been waiting for…… I just wonder what the initial demand will be like

This "VR giving 4 stops of light" confuses me a little, presumably it means that a shot at 1/250 sec at f4 on the old lens will be "possible" at 1/60 sec at f4 on the new and still the same "sharpness" because of the camera shake control

….. but each stop doubles the amount of light .. so 1 is doubled to 2 …2 to 4 ……4 to 8 and 8 to 16 ……… which could be another way of looking at it .. strangely

but yes I'll get one because I use the 300mm f4 with the V1 for Dragonflies (as well as other things that fly) ……..

Fair enough, sounds like the 300mm is simply perfect for you the light weight, better IQ ( I would imagine ) and more than likely to take converters better you going to pick up the new TC-14EIII if you buy the lens?

I'm very surprised at the weight loss. I have been considering switching systems to Olympus as they are bringing out a new 300f4. But this new lightweight 300 could sway me to stay if the IQ is as good as the current 300f4 of which I only bought a brand new one last year.

Regards Gerard.

- no tripod mount? .. but they say that it is not needed ….. but I would have liked to have seen one as presumably using the camera socket is not too good even with a lens this light?

It's not only lighter than the 24-70mm f2.8, it's also only half an inch longer. I've not heard of anyone having problems mounting a camera with the wide zoom.

when you add then hood, (is this another Nikon extra) and maybe a tripod ring, (an extra)

Straight from Nikon UK: "The AF-S NIKKOR 300mm f/4 comes with the new HB-73 Lens Hood and CL-M3 Lens Case."

I find this lens very exciting, not because it's one that I need, but the fact that they have found a way to reduce the size and weight so substantially for telephotos. I long for the day the 500/600 is half the weight and size that they are now. My back will certainly appreciate this on long hikes.

Last edited:
I use a tripod quite a lot with my DP3M which is "featherlight" ……… also the same goes for wide angle Nikon MF glass …… there is a tripod mount available so if it's suitable it's worth considering

The camera mounted on a gimbal is not comfortable

Then why not treat it the same as you do with the DP3 & other wide angles?

As I said, Joe, it's literary half an inch! Now that's what I call compact.

Glad I resisted the "old" model last year. Wonder what the new will do to second hand prices of the old?
I'm sure both are fantastic pieces of glass though.

Wonder what the new will do to second hand prices of the old?

With a price difference of around £1k between new, new and 2nd hand old, I wouldn't have thought too much change really, though it might make a few more available.

I'm currently saving for the older model, (Mk2 as it is now) to go with my D750. So will be interesting to see if the older model drops in price, the weight difference doesn't effect me as it will only be for home use on a tripod.

Can somebody explain the difference between the Mk1 & 2 models, and how do they compare in use. I seen a Mk1 go for £262 on the bay over the weekend, if I hadn't been out I would have bid on it.

Link to Mk1 > http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NIKON-300...n-/231435285756?ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:GB:1653

Can somebody explain the difference between the Mk1 & 2 models, and how do they compare in use. I seen a Mk1 go for £262 on the bay over the weekend, if I hadn't been out I would have bid on it.

Link to Mk1 > http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NIKON-300...n-/231435285756?ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:GB:1653

Frankly, it wasn't that good deal considering this was an old 300mm with scratched? front element.

The old lens was quite good optically. However, it doesn't take modern converters, AF is noisy slower and less reliable than the 2nd gen. It also doesn't focus close which is a killer feature of the newer lens when using for small birds or reptiles. That's why I hesitate to upgrade to 300/2.8 monster. The 2.3m vs 1.45m is a big difference if you shoot small creatures.

The newest generation (3rd) can do focus even closer which is welcome.

Thanks for your replies.

Bit of an old thread I'm replying to here and perhaps there is a later one that I haven't found.

I want to buy this lens, I really do but I can't get one anywhere. I have put it on pre-order with Amazon as I'm off on holiday in two weeks and perhaps it will turn up while I'm away (although I really wanted to take it with me). Wex, Amazon, Jessops all have it as out of stock and it might be because they have had to do a major firmware change due to blurring at 1/125 apparently.

I've been trying to buy one too. I've spoken to a few suppliers but none really know when they may get stock (and indeed how many). I was quoted a very general 6 weeks or so.

Annoyed I missed one via Panamoz last week at a very good price.

I hope it's not like the Sigma 180mm macro that I placed an order for in Sept 2014 and cancelled in April 2015 - and they still haven't turned up in the UK (in Nikon fit anyway).

I've been trying to buy one too. I've spoken to a few suppliers but none really know when they may get stock (and indeed how many). I was quoted a very general 6 weeks or so.

Annoyed I missed one via Panamoz last week at a very good price.

I hope it's not like the Sigma 180mm macro that I placed an order for in Sept 2014 and cancelled in April 2015 - and they still haven't turned up in the UK (in Nikon fit anyway).

DR seem to have them if they're quoting shipping of 2-3 days? Also ask on the DR thread to see if they will give some discount too. > http://www.digitalrev.com/product/nikon-af-s-nikkor-300mm/MTEwMzk3MA_A_A

Thanks Simon. I have sent a pm to enquire.

I do know that Panama rang round their suppliers and there were none to be found. Panama was also a fair bit cheaper than the price being quoted on the DR site.

Curiua, who are an Amazon search engine for european prices? show that you can get the lens from Amazon Germany for £1332. I havent googled translated the page but maybe worth a look. I mentioned it on one of the threads on here recently. Also, if you look at the suppliers section, using this method of purchase seems to be proving popular.

http://www.curiua.com/dp/B00RXM3I9I

I'm seriously considering this lens as well. But i'd prefer to see one in person before committing and the fact that they are all but non-exist at the moment is not filling me with hope.

I have looked at the Sigma 150-600mm Sport but it is a bit of a monster..

I've been looking at the suppliers web sites for a few months …….. all seem to be on back order except (now) Digital Review

I have held back getting one for this reason

I also felt because of the earlier reported problem that it would be better to buy in the UK

what's the problem - cannot they produce enough? ……. or is it something else …… anyone know?

There is/was a VR compatibility issue with the D8xx series. They are offering a free lens firmware upgrade to anyone in that situation. And that should mean any new lenses should already have the updated firmware.

Anyone that wants to try one before committing to buy (eventually), lenses for hire have a few available. I've got one coming at the end of the week

Just ordered mine,the shop thinks 2/3 weeks but we will see.

Anyone that wants to try one before committing to buy (eventually), lenses for hire have a few available. I've got one coming at the end of the week
Cheer Darren. Yes we do have a few but they are proving very popular.

Now we know there is a problem with VR blur and the fact that it has a digital diaphragm and it has a very new technology in the Fresnel lens I am starting to swing back toward the old Nikon 300mm f/4 AF-S. OK, it is half a kilogram heavier and has no VR but according to various sites it is stunningly sharp right across the board. It is also £600 cheaper. Any thoughts?

Now we know there is a problem with VR blur and the fact that it has a digital diaphragm and it has a very new technology in the Fresnel lens I am starting to swing back toward the old Nikon 300mm f/4 AF-S. OK, it is half a kilogram heavier and has no VR but according to various sites it is stunningly sharp right across the board. It is also £600 cheaper. Any thoughts?

Martin

It is a very good lens which I have used and use a lot - quite a few reviews on the net ……. plus search Flickr for images

I have always been very pleased with the lens and it works well with the x 1.4TC - TC14Ell ……. check if the later lll is as compatible
shots at f4 are very good

I would certainly recommend it and you should be able to pick up a mint one for £600/£700 - it is a very sold and well built lens ……… destined to be a Nikon "classic"

also not bad for "close ups" Dragonflies and similar

Last edited:
My main interest in the new lens is its size/weight (given the image quality is reportedly good).
I have a 300mm f2.8 but am seeing the new f4 lens as something that could be on the camera whilst, say, I walk the dogs (quite often see deer and foxes).

It is also reported that the PF is better than the old lens with a x 2 converter

The new lens appears to tick all the boxes for many

Does in come with a hood - the images don't show one?

Has anyone bought a tripod mount yet - (I know many say it's not needed) - but I would want one for certain shots

Tripod mounts are £20 from ebay or stupid ££s from Nikon.

Only box it doesnt tick is that they are rarer than rocking horse poo. Mines been ordered since 16th March...just contacted dealer today for the umpteenth time to be told that Nikon are uanble to provide a date for release of the next batch!

Only box it doesnt tick is that they are rarer than rocking horse poo. Mines been ordered since 16th March...just contacted dealer today for the umpteenth time to be told that Nikon are uanble to provide a date for release of the next batch!

surely the Chinese cannot be "on strike"

Back