Nikon 300mm f4 PF plus x2 and x 1.4TC, has anyone got any bird shots

Edit My Images
No
We appreciate seeing any images and comments versus others shots at 600mm f8 especially, as I'm just about to grab one

Thanks Dave - I have been following bits and pieces but I reckon there must be a good consensus of opinion by now.

It does look worth buying now as the best I can ever taken when "travelling" by air is the 300mm f2.8VR which is quite a heavy bugger.

seems to be sharper when hand held with a grip on the body

Last edited:
It looks like a good lens - especially if you need to travel light.

I have the old version but don't use it much as I can normally take the 500 with me. But if I travelled alot then the size of the new 300 with TCs would be tempting.

Dave.

Got a Canon 300mm + x2tc wide open at F/5.6 for you to compare against if that's any help?

12197012095_c59dc655fd_o-jpg.41357

ROFPMSL

Got a Canon 300mm + x2tc wide open at F/5.6 for you to compare against if that's any help?

12197012095_c59dc655fd_o-jpg.41357

Here's one taken with the Nikon f2.8 + x 2 TC for you to compare with your Canon

obviously a crop as it is quite difficult to get near the short toe-ed Tree Creeper ..........but at it's at 600mm and f5.6 with the Nikon D7100 - (I would never normally use f5.6 for bird shots so I have only a few images at that fvalue to compare)

the Nikon x TC is reputed to be "soft" and to degrade the image

Tree.jpg

Last edited:
and another that (presumably) shows the weaknesses of the Nikon 300mm f2.8 + TC against your Canon shots

although this was taken at 1/320th sec hand held so could be little sharper if I upped the shutter speed

300mm_f.jpg

I usually take the 300mm f2.8 when travelling but it is just too heavy now to use hand held ....... especially at speeds below 1/500th

I did think about the Canon ...... but the shots I have seen on here using the Canon 300mm with the TC's were a little disappointing, so I think that I will stick with Nikon.

The Canon 600mm f4 is the only Canon lens that I would really want ...... although my 600mm f4 Nikon is good ...... it is just too big for cabin baggage and is difficult to hand hold with any success.

both images were taken a few years ago before I really got into Bird photography so if taken today I would probably not use the same in camera settings

Maybe you could post a few more images to show me the quality of the Canon 300mm f2.8 + TC's

Last edited:
although my 600mm f4 Nikon is good ...... it is just too big for cabin baggage and is difficult to hand hold with any success.

Canon or Nikon Pal the size is massive for hand luggage, have you considered a 500mm f/4 smaller and lighter and takes a 1.4x really well? I was going to buy the Canon 600mm f/4 but with the hand luggage restrictions etc. I only just found a bag to fit it in but that mean't had to leave other lenses behind, so I opted for the 500mm and take 2 more lenses on average with me for my wide angle stuff and landscapes etc. than I could if I bought the 600mm.

Thanks Jerry, received and looked at - thanks for you addition comments on the fvalues

well I have just ordered one, order confirmed, I should get it next week when I'm in the UK ......

I was going to buy one in Japan where they are cheaper ............ but ........... after reading all the reviews and downloading images I reckon the 300 PF plus TC14Ell will help me sort my BIF weaknesses and my travel problems

Thread revival bill just wondered how your getting on with yours now ? I used mine a fair bit last week as its so small it just sits on my peak design clip on my rucksack so always ready to shoot, not used TC's yet but this is one bare through glass in a tea room which was wet too an was really impressed but thinking it seem better close up than distant crops where as the 2.8 seems to crop much better (but then its close on 3x price)

Sharpham Tea Gardens Blue Tit by Adam Sibbald, on Flickr

I know its a bird on a feeder so would not normally post this type of shot on here but was impressed at feather detail from the lens especially though a wet pain of glass at the tea rooms, flickr click through seems better than this post sorry

Here's a few "bird" shots, but I have used it for lots of other subjects

all hand held

300mm at ISO 1000

300mm_1_1000.jpg

420mm

420mm_5.jpg

420mm

420mm_1.jpg

420mm
420mm_2.jpg

420mm
420mm_3.jpg

420mm
420mm_4.jpg

420mm @ 1/80th sec
420mm_6_500.jpg

600mm
600mm_1.jpg

Its not too shabby is it ! that Spar at 1/80th is an impressive capture I am useless at lower shutter speeds (not just this lens I may add) I can see the attraction of using it for butterflies and other close/macro type shots too next year

Both Sparrowhawk shots were taken through the house window

Here's a pig at 420mm

Pig_420mm.jpg

and I posted a load of goats a week ago - all taken with the 300mm PF + TC14Ell

I also find it very good for people, (as well as pigs!!)

Last edited:
Back