Nikon 300mm f4

Name
Sean Cameron
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone, I need some advice.

I have a Nikon 300mm AF-S ED f4 lens that everyone on the net seams to rate really highly. I have never been that impressed compared to my 70-200 2.8 for instance. Today I took my new D800 to the local lake to test it out on a monopod. Again I'm unimpressed with the results. I took a number of pictures with speeds of 500 - 640 and an iso of 800. The detail just isn't there. I was using the DX setting as well as the full frame. The lens is the same with my D3S and D3.

Any advice, is it me or a Friday afternoon lens?

Sean

My 70-200 2.8 VRll is super sharp but the 300 f4 I used to have was pretty sharp, I never had issues with it - if you are getting the same poor results on all three cameras then it certainly sounds like a bad'un.

Hi Sean
I guess if it's poor with all three cameras then you've answered you own question.
I assume you've tested it stopped down a little and mounted solidly rather than on a mono-pod.
I had a 500 f4 which was ok at f4 but stunning stopped down only a little.
Or I may be teaching my granny to suck eggs.....
cheers, cw

Hi Sean,

I've had and used my 300mm f4 for three years. Initially I had concerns it might have been front-focusing, but I think this was a combination of other factors rather than an actual fault because it resolved itself without any help from me. It's been perfectly fine for the last two years and I do use it a lot.

Oh -- I certainly would expect the 70-200 f2.8 VRII to be the better lens out of these two.

Sean, I have both lenses mentioned and have used them on a D300/700 and 800. My 300 is as sharp as the zoom across all three bodies.

Sadly, it sounds like it may need a visit to Nikon. Hope you get it sorted, it is a damned good lens.

it was the only thing that kept me with nikon ,sadly the electronics in the cameras led me to changing back to canon ,just wish canons 300 f4 was as good as that old nikon

I would try the micro adjustment. I've found I needed to micro adjust for a DSLR before. I've found my 300 f4 to be very sharp, there is not much in it between the 70-200 f2.8 vr1. The 70-200 edges it for me but not by much.

Wow Rob, now that would be impressive

Best comparison I can do is this

70-200 f2.8 vr1 D7100

Puffin
by Rob'81, on Flickr

300mm f4 & 1.4tc D7000

Puffin
by Rob'81, on Flickr

300 f4 on its own D7000

Black Kite Close Up
by Rob'81, on Flickr

All of these are processed RAW files in LR4 but it is a stunning good lens. The 300 f4 and 1.4 TC is a great combination. I'm soon going to be selling mine on as I've upgraded to the 300 f2.8. I'm going to sad when it goes, it's such a great lens and so much lighter too. I hope you get it sorted out.

Last edited:
Back