Nikon 300mm losing auto focus

Name
Craig Thomas
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,

had an issue at last Friday nights game when using my nikon 300mm lens completely lost the focus for the entire second half. got home cleaned the contacts on both lens and camera and seemed to work However, last night lost the auto focus intermittently during the game, swapped bodies and still had the same issue. Anyone have this issue? any insights to eat it might be? otherwise it looks like its off to fixation to get sorted.

Do you have the same problems in perfectly good daylight, Craig

Nope both games when the problem has happened have be night games

So it's fine in perfectly good light on both bodies …….. the problem ONLY happens with night (floodlit), games

Yep basically there is no searching for focus half press to get focus and nothing happens

I have never had such a problem, no real idea, two bodies same results, so logically it's the contacts on the lens but why no problem in daylight?

Also, same problem at both lens settings

Last edited:
Maybe because the issue has only just occurred and it just so happens that the 2 times I have use it at have been at night games. Will give it a test today

Maybe because the issue has only just occurred and it just so happens that the 2 times I have use it at have been at night games. Will give it a test today

All I can add is that sometimes my 300mm f2.8VR will not autofocus in poor light even if there is a bright object in the scene.

i.e If I take a shot of the moon ……. point it at the (dark) sky, obviously it will not focus ……. if I then move it in line with the bright moon … sometimes I have to "kick" it a bit to get the auto focus to move into action and sometimes it "hunts"

I've had that issue where the camera doesn't know what to do so it does nothing (low light/low contrast/waaay OOF). A quick and useful way to kick it out and wake it up is to use the AF-recall function.

i get the same with my 70-200 vr1 i think the focus moter is maybe on road out but cannot be sure

Back