Nikon 35mm f/1.G or Sigma 30mm

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
Yes
I was about to pull the trigger on a 35mm f/1.8G, ($155 from eGlobal, which I thought was a bargain), when I noticed that the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM lens can be had for $243... Any advice on which I should get? Is there $100 worth of value in the Sigma? I also plan on getting an SB-700 flash gun as well, so should I just put the $100 towards that?...

Thanks in advance

I have no experience of the Sigma, but will say that the 35 f1.8G is absolutely fantastic on my D7000.

I'd go with the Nikkor then. Older Sigma's are notoriously hit and miss with focus, especially at wide apertures.

According to some reports :D whilst other people have had several wide aperture Sigma lenses with no problems at all :D

I had the Sigma 30mm f1.4 in Canon fit and personally I found it to be a very good lens, sharp from f1.4 and reliable. The only negative things that I can say are that it's a bit big and bulky and that the focus ring feels a bit gritty when focusing manually. I did think that mine was faulty but after trying another in a shop I decided that's just how they feel :D I have read reports of field curvature but I can honestly say that in real world use I never ever found it to be an issue.

PS.
Just a thought on the "notorious" Sigma focus issues which seem to be rampant on the net and which I personally have never encountered. I think that it's possibly a combination of lens and body which causes the problems. I used wide aperture Sigma primes on my 20D and 5D with no issues at all but I did read on one review site that they'd had fewer focus issues with their 20D than with any other body so... maybe the relatively simple focus system of the 20D (and I believe that the 5D has a similar system?) is more Sigma friendly than the focus system of some other bodies?

Maybe if Sigma focus issues are a worry it'd be worth seeking out reports featuring the same body and lens combination you're interested in?

Last edited:
Actually ended up buying from DWI, eGlobal are really popular here in Oz cos of the large markups on official Aussie stock... Id never buy anything of significant value from such sites (I got my body here, from an actual shop). But eGlobal wanted $90 p&p which meant DWI actually worked out cheaper, even with priority, insured shipping!? I paid $490 all up for both lens and flash, so a saving of nearly $300 by going grey!

Back