Nikon 35mm f1.8 G AF-S DX

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
Been using a nifty fifty on the D80 however it sits at 80mm on a DX which is too close sometimes.

I've seen Nikons new 35mm, has anyone used this and how did you get on?

Do a search here and you will find a lot of threads on this new lens.

I've had a good search but most of it is talk about it, not actual results.Was wondering how people had actually got on with it?

Found a few using google... So it seems to be a 50mm beater on a cropped body, will get one once demand has gone down ;)

I was trying to buy one from Jessops, they had no stock anywhere....

Agreed, I talked to them today - none till the end of May apparently (and price may rise), demand has significantly overcome supply.

Think Warehouse Express have them in stock, dont live far from em either :)

Just bought one from Warehouse Express, & let my trusty 50mm F1.8D go. :(

not had much of a chance to use it properly, but here a quick snapshot from it.

harryd.jpg

From what I've seen of the lens its got pretty hideous bokeh, and much slower focusing that the older AF-D (a la 50mm f/1.4 G)

It also doesn't focus as close - its probably a nice choice for D40 / D40x / D60x / D5000 but personally I lost interest in the lens once I saw the CA, bokeh and slow AF.

Hi mate, thats a bit of a worry...

What would you recommend for a D80 in the true 50mm range?

Well it could be worth trying the new lens anyhow, but I can't see how a DX lens with CA, slower AF and no longer full frame is an upgrade to the 35/2 AF-D to be honest, unless you have a body without an AF motor.

You gain 1/3rd of a stop, but you lose full frame coverage, pseudo macro capability, and you get slower AF, so to my mind its not a clear upgrade at all (and probably wasn't intended to replace the 35/2 AF-D anyhow)

Optically the 35/1.8 is quite sharp, I'll give it that.

Back