nikon 400mm f/5.6 PC on modern bodies

Edit My Images
No
Hello searched the net in vain for this info. Am considering buying this old lens on the strength of the rave reviews it gets for its optics. I shoot mainly people and will use it for what i hope will be unobstrusive street photography. My questios are:

1. is it compatible with the d700/d3 (i know some pre-ai lenses can damage modern bodies) - reading some people's reviews (Bjorn at naturograf, for one), i get the impression that this is not an issue with this lens.

2. what kind of metering would be supported on such a combination. From what i have read i get the impression only spot and centre-weighted.

thanks for your help.
mainoo

IIRC, so long as it's F mount it'll go on absolutely no problem, you'll just be stuck with the job of manually focusing and such. As far as exposure goes, it'll be mostly guess work but centre weighted usually works best for me on Canon. Just check the flange distance on the lens and correspond that to the maximum allowance on your D700/d3 :)

DO NOT TRY AND MOUNT IT IF YOU ARE UNSURE OF THE PROTRUSION! One movement of the shutter hitting the lens in the mount and it's bye bye shutter mech!

Thank you both for your responses. I am confused by the apparent contradiction between the strict injunction against mounting this lens on the d3/700 and Bjorn Rørslett's apparent endorsement of it on fx bodies here

can anyone help me make sense of it?
thanks

Back