Nikon 50 1.4 D or G ?

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
No
After selling my Fuji gear to buy my first full frame camera, I am looking for a 50 1.4 auto focusing lens for my incoming Nikon D750 -

My Heart says buy the 1.4 D with its nicer build and aperture ring etc. but my head says buy the 1.4 G with its newer optics and less noisy auto focus.

Is there anyone who has experience of both of these lenses? I've read pretty much all the reviews and there doesn't seem to be a huge amount of difference in optical performance, maybe the G being ever so slightly sharper etc. but is it really going to be that noticeable? How would both lenses fair at 1.4 in the real world?

Dan

The G has better contrast wide open - and if you don't need f1.4 the f1.8G is just about as good as the f1.4G and half the price

I'm not intersted in the 1.8

I can deal with a lack of contrast as long as the sharpness and clarity are still reasonable. No one would expect a 50 1.4 to be razor sharp wide open, but it still has to pass as perfectly usable when used wide open or it defeats the object of having 1.4.

I wouldn't think the edges to be anywhere near good at 1.4, but I would hope the central part of the image would still be to a good standard.

When the f1.4G was first introduced, all the reviews struggled to find any significant difference between the D & G examples apart from the obvious. Certainly little to choose in the quality stakes, unless you need the quieter performance.

The D however has that all important aperture ring and is a slightly smaller lens overall. I have used both and currently retain the D because I prefer/need the aperture ring for some applications. I certainly regard it as one of my core lenses and wouldn't exchange it unless I was going for the Nikon fit Zeiss 50mm f1.4, (which I might do someday). But the Zeiss loses the autofocus function at the expense of optical performance, and we shall not even get into discussing the Otus f1.4 55mm.

Last edited:
I had the 1.4d/1.8d/1.8g

The best of the lot in the d800.....the 1.8g. Followed by the 1.8d. The 1.4 d was (to my eyes) horrible wide open on the d800. Passable stopped down a bit. The 1.8 g is much better value. I shoot at 1.4 with my 85mm instead which is much contrastier/sharp wide open.

I'd avoid the 1.4d having had one

Last edited:
nice thread, im in the same boat and about to get the 50mm 1.4, may look at the 1.8 as I wont use it at 1.4 a great deal.

Im looking for a 50mm that can produce lovely sun flares, much like the canon 50 1.2L...

RGds

I have just ordered the 50mm 1.4G - although I have to admit the 1.8 G looks like a cracking lens for the money, I knew I would always have the 1.4 on my mind (bokeh whore and all that). Used 1.4 D's seem to be going for around £150 on eBay, I was nearly tempted to give it a bash but thought what the hell.

Back