NIKON 50mm 1.4 ais lens advice

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi I am contemplating getting the above to go with my F3. Is there any difference in the various age lenses. They did run for a long time . Are any better than others please!

No, all 50mm f1.4 are good I dont think the design changed very much over the years.

If your buying used then I would get from a reputable shop if off auction sites then read the discription closly and make sure there is a reutrns policy.

Simple because there are a lot out there and some are proably in better shape than others.

Enjoy :)

If it helps at all.

I have a 50mm f1.4 AI-S and it's sharper wide open and gives an overall less affected and more modern look than my Nippon Kogaku 50mm f1.4 but I think the f1.8 pancake I also have is sharper, it's that's any priority. I have the close focusing version of the f1.8.

Ken Rockwell has some good pages on these lenses. Here's his page on the 50mm f1.4 AI-S.

Last edited:
Thanks it seems it is as I thought, I already have a very nice 1.8 but I believe my F3 came with a 1.4 from new. I have been lucky buying on the internet. The F3 was advertised as "good". Turned out to be completely unused and without a mark and with original leather case. also unmarked.

If it helps at all... again...

I don't know if you'd consider the Nippon Kogaku 50mm f1.4 or even the smaller and lighter f2, assuming they'd fit your camera. This would mean moving away from what the camera should have and you may not want to do that but I do like those all metal and glass old lenses with the scalloped focus rings.

Again thanks but I want to keep it all as original as possible, although I do know what you mean and I agree.

There seem to be plenty about in good condition so you shouldn't have a problem finding a nice one. Mine looks new.

Back