Nikon 50mm AF-S or 35 AF-S

Name
Daniel
Edit My Images
Yes
I have been looking at both of these lenses and I am really stuck as to which one to get, I am worried that the 35mm may be a bit short and i do like the sound of some f/1.4 glass.

Daniel

literally no-one can decide this but you... I suggest you have a look through shots you have taken already and what focal length they are taken at, then look into buying an appropriate prime based on that.

Quality wise I don't think you will be disappointed in either!

literally no-one can decide this but you... I suggest you have a look through shots you have taken already and what focal length they are taken at, then look into buying an appropriate prime based on that.

Quality wise I don't think you will be disappointed in either!

Any idea if there is anywhere in Norwich are that i could try both of these lenses out?

I'm also looking at one of these lenses

which would be best for the occasional portrait ?

thanks

I'm also looking at one of these lenses

which would be best for the occasional portrait ?

thanks

Portraiture was one of the main reasons as to why I was leaning towards the 50mm cause on my D40 it would be a 75mm tele :) (and on your D60(y))

Portraiture was one of the main reasons as to why I was leaning towards the 50mm cause on my D40 it would be a 75mm tele :) (and on your D60(y))

Well to be honest i was just talking about crop factor in another thread and got shouted at by Puddleduck :p

When i talk about crop factor, i am talking about it after reading Ken Rockwell's pages for hours on end! and we all know that "Ken Rockwell isn't the Chuck Norris of photography; Chuck Norris is the Ken Rockwell of martial arts."

Any idea if there is anywhere in Norwich are that i could try both of these lenses out?

I happened to be in my two local camera shops today which are part of fairly big chains (Jacobs and London Camera Exchange) and they both had both of these lenses in stock. I only noticed as I found it quite suprising compared with a couple of years ago where I was crazily hunting round camera shops looking for the 50mm with no success (in the end I had to order off the net).

If you have either of these close by I am sure they will have them for you to try and you may get lucky and find a second-hand copy (LCE had a second-hand 35mm f2 in today).

I have had both of these lenses and have to day I much prefer the focal length of the 35mm for everyday use. This shots on this flickr page here were all taken with the 35mm. They're only snaps but hopefully give you an idea of the quality of the lens.

I happened to be in my two local camera shops today which are part of fairly big chains (Jacobs and London Camera Exchange) and they both had both of these lenses in stock. I only noticed as I found it quite suprising compared with a couple of years ago where I was crazily hunting round camera shops looking for the 50mm with no success (in the end I had to order off the net).

If you have either of these close by I am sure they will have them for you to try and you may get lucky and find a second-hand copy (LCE had a second-hand 35mm f2 in today).

I have had both of these lenses and have to day I much prefer the focal length of the 35mm for everyday use. This shots on this flickr page here were all taken with the 35mm. They're only snaps but hopefully give you an idea of the quality of the lens.

Ah cool thanks :) i have both quite near so i shall try both! and i wish i could snap up a cheap second hand 35 F/2, but i need the AF-S motor! Stupid D40, i loathe it!

Well to be honest i was just talking about crop factor in another thread and got shouted at by Puddleduck :p

Because its nonsense.

A picture speaks 1000 words. Here is the 35mm f/2 and the 35mm f/1.8 focused on the same object, both at miumum focus distance.

The 35mm f/2 was shot on my D700 in full frame mode. The 35mm f/1.8 was shot on my D700 in crop mode.

35mm-1.jpg

If anyone still wants to insist 35mm magically becomes longer, feel free :)

puddleduck: was the camera in exactly the same position for those two shots? The one on the right (in crop mode) seems to go closer in, surely this is the 1.5x crop factor and why the lens seems longer?

See that does seem quite a big difference focal length wise to me. Although the actual length doesn't magically change the fact that a smaller part of the image is enlarged to fill the frame gives it an effective working length similar to that which a 50mm-ish would in fx mode.

just read what I have posted above and sounds gibberish... but hopefully someone will understand what Im talking about

wilsnunn: As Jordan has said, you've answered your own question really, go for the 50mm... you just need to decide whether the 1.4 justifies the massive premium over the 1.8 for you now.

just read what I have posted above and sounds gibberish... but hopefully someone will understand what Im talking about

wilsnunn: As Jordan has said, you've answered your own question really, go for the 50mm... you just need to decide whether the 1.4 justifies the massive premium over the 1.8 for you now.

Well i also use a nifty fifty already but sometimes find it isnt zoomed out enough :bonk: i think i need both!

And puddleduck, i meant if you used the f/2 on both FX and then on DX! Try putting those 2 together in a comparison, i know that all the crop stuff using DX only lenses is rubbish!

Daniel

Or if you shoot a 50mm on fx and then on dx and then compare, that is where crop factor comes in! We all know nikon can do the maths for us :p

Only insofar as I prefer 35mm over 50mm as a useable focal length, but I also tend to use the 70-200 for portrait work rather than anythng shorter, which doesn't really help you make up your mind :LOL:

Only insofar as I prefer 35mm over 50mm as a useable focal length, but I also tend to use the 70-200 for portrait work rather than anythng shorter, which doesn't really help you make up your mind :LOL:

Thanks Flash, very useful! Hmmm i wonder if andy is gonna come back at me with anything :p He is taking his time. I am about to try the repair on my flash, just need to find a screwdriver!

Because its nonsense.

A picture speaks 1000 words. Here is the 35mm f/2 and the 35mm f/1.8 focused on the same object, both at miumum focus distance.

The 35mm f/2 was shot on my D700 in full frame mode. The 35mm f/1.8 was shot on my D700 in crop mode.

35mm-1.jpg

If anyone still wants to insist 35mm magically becomes longer, feel free :)

Err....the one shot in crop mode looks nearer 50mm than 35.....:LOL:

Err....the one shot in crop mode looks nearer 50mm than 35.....:LOL:

It is not helped by the fact that the f2 focuses closer than the f1.8, and Andy states he set them both at minimum focus, so the f2 on the FX would be closer to the subject by 50mm.

I think Andy was showing there is no difference between an FX lens and a DX lens of the same focal length.

It is not helped by the fact that the f2 focuses closer than the f1.8, and Andy states he set them both at minimum focus, so the f2 on the FX would be closer to the subject by 50mm.

I think Andy was showing there is no difference between an FX lens and a DX lens of the same focal length.

Problem is, it looks (to me anyway) as if there is a difference, but the test would really need to be done with both camera/lens setups on a tripod at exactly the same distance, otherwise it's a wee bit pointless...

Problem is, it looks (to me anyway) as if there is a difference, but the test would really need to be done with both camera/lens setups on a tripod at exactly the same distance, otherwise it's a wee bit pointless...

Ah, i was talking about putting a FX lens on a DX body (y)

Try that andy!

Back