Nikon 50mm F1.4G AF-S Nikkor Lens

Edit My Images
No
Nikon 50mm F1.4G AF-S Nikkor Lens Anyone know If this lens is any good? I have the 35mm 1.8 at the moment, would this make much difference and be better?

Thanks

Err, well for a start it would be 50mm instead of 35mm, that's a difference.

It is also about 2/3's of a stop faster if that's what you need.

Better? depends on what you want...

Was there a reason to add "eerr" I am new to Photography and I simply asking for some help and advice.

However maybe I could have just said; I am looking for a lens which would be good for a bit of portrait and general photography in low light situations that has a good bokeh and would the 50mm be much better and make a big difference to what I get from the 35mm 1.8

85mm f1.8g would be a better match up with you having the 35mm all ready, I know because I have the 35mm and the 50mm and thought the same, unfortunately it's not really a good length for portraits imo, you still have to get a little too close with the 50mm, wish I had put the money towards saving for the 85mm.

Yes I have one is the short answer. below taken with one

I'm sorry... but what exactly does posting a low resolution JPEG prove?

To the OP. Quality would be marginally better, yes, but you'd never really notice in most instances. The biggest difference is the focal length. It's a longer lens, so everything will be magnified and appear closer and you will have a much narrower field of view.

You'd gain nothing really.. unless you feel your 35mm lens is too wide angle for you.

The sigma 50mm f1.4 is better.

No it's not.

In what way is this....

i74W1D1.jpg

better than this....

4bhb91X.jpg

I really don't think the OP realises the difference in focal length though. Most of this advice is really not what he needs IMO. None of this is helping him.

Seriously... unless you want a longer lens to be "zoomed in" more than your 35mm, don't bother. The 35mm Nikkor G is a killer lens.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help, will look at the 85mm, I like the 35mm for portaits and for a few artistic Photographs but I just thought the 50mm 1.4 might be better. I suppose though 1.8 to 1.4 is not a huge drop so probably wouldn't add much?

I have the 35mm F1.8 and the 50mm 1.4D.

Both are excellent lenses. The DOF is just unbelievable on the 50mm.

I haven't tried the "g" version but i am sure this will be just as good.

I use both and wouldn't sell either of them. I know I would regret it.

It all depends on what you shoot. You already have a fast prime, do you need the extra reach? If not, put the money towards a different lens.

An f1.4 in theory should allow more light onto the sensor than an f1.8 all things being equal, but that.s not always the case. It depends on the lighting conditions you are working under you can't compare one lens with another if the ambient lighting differs.

Asking about lens choice is really what you want to get out of it not what others prefer. The best advise anyone can give in reality is to go to a camera shop and try one out with your camera. Also take your 35mm lens and take the same shot as well, then do a comparison. A dedicated camera shop if they are any good will be able to help better

However maybe I could have just said; I am looking for a lens which would be good for a bit of portrait and general photography in low light situations that has a good bokeh and would the 50mm be much better and make a big difference to what I get from the 35mm 1.8

That would have been much more helpful :)

Short answer is unless you are finding the 35mm too short then the 50mm won't really offer you anything extra. The extra 15mm put the 50mm more in the head portrait arena, depending on where you are shooting, which may be what you're after.

I have both lenses mentioned, both are more than sharp enough (even on a 24mp sensor) and both give good bokeh so really it is just down to the focal length.

david
I can't post a high resolution photo due to the limitations of the internet and Photobucket. There is no way, or I can't find one, can I post a 100+megapixel photo on here shot in Tiff on a Nikon D800.

Last edited:
The best advise anyone can give in reality is to go to a camera shop and try one out with your camera.

^This. If you feel you need the 50 to get more magnification because you feel the 35 is too wide for you, then yes, the 50 may well be a nice lens for you. If you just think it wil give you more quality, and focal length wasn't something you were considering, then stick with the 35.

david
I can't post a high resolution photo due to the limitations of the internet and Photobucket. There is no way can I post a 100+megapixel photo on here shot in Tiff on a Nikon D800.

He still doesn't have a direct comparison though, and until a few posts back it wasn't even made clear what he wanted the lens for.

As above.. if you want a longer lens for portraiture as you feel the 35 is too wide, then yes, the 50 1,4 is a super choice.. if a little pricey.

I've owned both nikon and sigma and IMHO the sigma is sharper, offers better colour and contrast and is better built. Of course there's always someone who needs the reassurance of lab test after lab test and I'm not I'm the mood to argue the toss. But from my experience in the real world (yes I know it's a mythical place to many) the sigma is the better lens.

David

I am trying to help the OP as best as I know how. Ok you may well have different ideas but please stop trying to knock what I am posting. The best help you can give is to reply the the original question and let the OP decide for themselves. Its not the first time you have done this to me. So can I again ask with all due respect reply with your in depth knowledge which OP's wants and nothing else

Thank you

If you really want a fast 50mm and are a beginner who isn't likely to be making huge prints or publishing in high-end media then the f/1.8 50mm Nikkor is a better shout.
A fantastic lens, MUUUUUUUUUCH cheaper and your probably not going to miss the slightly larger aperture.

Having had both 50mm f1.8 Nikon lenses, I can say that the 1.8G is excellent, and I know it is better thought of by many than the 1.4D, and not far behind the 1.4G.

I have not tried the Sigma, so can't comment. Any 50mm lens will either give you a little more distance for the same portrait, or a tighter shot from the same position.

Personally I agree with others above that the 85mm lens would be a better pairing with your 35mm lens, and offer bigger differences and more range for your portraits.

Having had both 50mm f1.8 Nikon lenses, I can say that the 1.8G is excellent,

Agreed. If you also don't actually need the 1.4 aperture, makes far more sense, as it's half the price.

Back