Nikon 50mm Options

Edit My Images
No
As per title. Looking for a 50mm prime for my D750. Don't think I can really stretch to the 58mm, unless I sell my 24-70. For weddings, portraits. engagement sessions etc.

50mm F1.8
50mm F1.4
50mm Sigma Art
58mm F1.4

Depends what you're after really. The Sigma is the sharpest of the bunch, but it's ~£450 and big and bulky. The two Nikons are lighter and the f1.8 can be had for £100. The 58mm is silly money but if you get a good one then it can be awesome. The bokeh is beautiful.

Last edited:
When I had Canon DSLR's I had the old non Art 50mm f1.4 and at the time I thought I could never need a better 50mm. I had the Canon 50mm f2.5 at the same time and I've read that it's Canon's sharpest 50mm but the Sigma at least matched it in the centre of the frame at every aperture the Canon could match and the Sigma was quicker to focus too.

I think that the old Sigma 50mm f1.4 is well worth a look for anyone looking to buy a 50mm.

I have never really got on with 50mm lenses since I moved to a full frame camera, always liked them on DX maybe that's why I like 85's on full frame so much.

Have tried the following:

- Nikon 50 1.8D Not that sharp wide open, noisy because of screw driven a.f (Have had 4 of these)
- Nikon 50 1.8G shaper than the D version wide open but still not bitingly sharp (Have had 3 of these)
- Nikon 50 1.4G soft wide open, no better than the 1.8G at f/1.8 (Have had 3 of these)
- Sigma 50mm Art very inconsistent a.f even after fine tuning using the camera and the dock micro adjust (Have had 2 of these)

Not gonna be buying any more 50's :)

The art is ridiculously sharp and renders very nicely, my copy is pretty consistent, as much as a f1.4 lens can be. The 58 seems like a lottery for a big ticket price. The 1.8g is nice and small but can't compare to the art or ex dg IMHO. Neither can the 1.8d but it's alright for a 1st portrait lens on a nikon dx.

I've got a fairly elderly f/1.8 AF. Pre even the D series. When I was tempted to upgrade to an f/1.4 a few years back, I was advised by the salesmen in the shop to stick with what I've got unless I needed the extra 1/3 stop. I've had it for years, it was the first lens I added to the kit zooms when I got back into photography with an F65 some years back. Won't AF on bodies that don't have the AF motor in body but works very well on the D750.

Thanks.....I want the 58 really but it's very expensive in comparison to other lenses. The 1.8g seems to be the best value for money and is so small for travelling it would be great.

Might rethink my lenses and keep my 85mm and look at a Sigma Art 35 instead. Could get a 35 and have £500 left instead of buying the 58.

Personally I would do that. I have the 50mm 1.4g but hardly use it (I am probably not a 50mm fan). The 50mm 1.8d I did not like, I was put off by the bokeh. The 35 1.4 is however excellent and I find it a more useful focal length. I would love a 58 1.4 though...

Back