Nikon 50mm vs 58mm f1.4

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
No
I am getting back into dslrs deciding between 50mm or 58mm f1.4 as a carry around lens. From what I have seen and read, the bokeh of the 58mm seems to be only marginally better (to my inexperienced eyes). Not sure if it is actually worth the extra money. Anybody had experience with both lenses and can help me out?

I am getting back into dslrs deciding between 50mm or 58mm f1.4 as a carry around lens. From what I have seen and read, the bokeh of the 58mm seems to be only marginally better (to my inexperienced eyes). Not sure if it is actually worth the extra money. Anybody had experience with both lenses and can help me out?
There's been some talk and photos posted on the D750 thread about the 58mm vs the 50mm. I love the look from the 58mm, although it is not as sharp as the 50mm. Nikon have specifically designed it this way, as well as (apparently) not fully correcting spherical aberrations in order for it to render beautifully, which IMO it does. Of course this is very individual.

If it's for everyday shooting, get the 50mm. A lot of people photos and portraits the 58mm might be justifiable but it's something ridiculous like 7 or 8x the price

If it's for everyday shooting, get the 50mm. A lot of people photos and portraits the 58mm might be justifiable but it's something ridiculous like 7 or 8x the price
4.5x the price of the Nikon 50mm f1.4.

Thanks for the replies. I did consider the sigma ART, but weight is quite a big factor for me. I'd probably go for the 50mm and get other lenses >_<

There's no perfect lens. Each one has a mix of qualities. I've seen meaningful photographs taken with a Holga! So overall it's about flavour ... & maybe you could list your desired lens characteristics in order of preference, although they all have to act in concert.

Apart from contrast and colour rendition, bokeh is the big hitter for me - but lesser things are also in the mix ...

Last edited:
Back