Nikon 55-200mm or sigma 70-300

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Guys. Just bought my new 85mm 1.8g for my camera today and the very nice guy was also selling his Nikon 55-200mm VR
AF-S f/4-5.6G ED

I'm looking at selling my 70-300 sigma kit lens and possibly buying this lens... I know they are both entry level lenses. But what would you guys say is the better lens? Would I miss the 300mm for lunar shots etc. Or would the money be better spent by just getting rid if the 70-300?

How do you find the Sigma at 300mm? If it's getting soft beyond 200, as many of these kit zooms do on the longer end, then it might be worth it. You get VR with the Nikon. I had the 55-200 but didn't like it, I used it until I could get an 80-200 2.8, a much better lens. Later I got the 70-200 Vr II - bit of a step up, but if you can find a lens you're happy with and save up on side for something brighter and sharper.

Hi Guys. Just bought my new 85mm 1.8g for my camera today and the very nice guy was also selling his Nikon 55-200mm VR
AF-S f/4-5.6G ED

I'm looking at selling my 70-300 sigma kit lens and possibly buying this lens... I know they are both entry level lenses. But what would you guys say is the better lens? Would I miss the 300mm for lunar shots etc. Or would the money be better spent by just getting rid if the 70-300?
What camera.? If it’s one of the 24 mp sensors the 55-200vr is supposedly better suited according to some,ie Thom Hogan but then you’d lose the xtra length ,
I’ve had the 70-300 AF-P vr which is considered better than the older versions on the 24 mp sensors but won’t work fully on-older nikons and the 50-200vrii, the 70-300 was excellent but so was the 55-200.

Last edited:
AF-S f/4-5.6G ED

You would be better too look at a different lens. At the budget end of things the Tamron 70-300 v.c is pretty decent and can be picked up used for very cheap money. It's a cheaper option than the Nikon 70-300vr and just as good, the v.c on the Tamron is actually better then the Nikon vr. The Nikon 55-200 is okay for what it is but will have a big impact on your reach. It will have better I.Q than the Sigma you currently have which is a bit rubbish.

The 55-200 is a nice little lens but the reality is switching form your Sigma won't really achieve much, you're just switching form one cheap lens to another.

If you want to see a difference you need to head up the chain, so that's something like a Tamron/Nikon 70-300 with VC/VR. After that you will be looking at the f/2.8 lenses which are typically much more expensive.

Back