Nikon 5700 problem

Edit My Images
Yes
I keep a Nikon 5700 in the car for everyday snapping.
I hadn't used it for a while but tried to take some shots yesterday and could only get a black screen through the viewfinder and the LCD.
Everything else seems to function. I can access menus, view shots previously taken from the CF card, alter settings etc. In manual it mode it will even take shots which also show as black.

Any ideas please

There's only two possibilities I can think of right now:
- your cam is broken
- you haven't removed the protective cap from the lens
Thank you so much for your intelligent and thoughtful response to my post.

I can report that I thoroughly investigated the lens cap location scenario but this was not found to be the cause.

I also reached the conclusion that the camera may be broken or developed a fault.

The purpose of my post was to invite actual suggestions I could investigate prior to returning it to a dealer or disposing of it.

Hasn't been fried in the car has it?
No, I don't think so, though I did wonder if it could have been affected by some of the cold nights we've had since I last used it.
Normally cold drains the battery though and it's still full.

Slapos suggestions were valid, but could it have got damp at some point? water especially condensation getting into the camera can corrode electrical contacts.

Better than guessing is contacting the service, they're likely to have more hints than ordinary users.

Did the camera fall or could it have suffered some physical damage otherwise? I mean dust, moisture, perhaps some tiny insects could have gotten in through an opening or a crack. Has it been close to some strong electromagnetic fields?
Do you happen to have any shy and playful relatives or even pets that had access to your camera?
Is the battery quite ok, as in not damaged by any of what I mentioned above?

I keep a Nikon 5700 in the car for everyday snapping.
I hadn't used it for a while but tried to take some shots yesterday and could only get a black screen through the viewfinder and the LCD.
Everything else seems to function. I can access menus, view shots previously taken from the CF card, alter settings etc. In manual it mode it will even take shots which also show as black.

Any ideas please

don't know much about Nikons as I have a proper camera, but black through the viewfinder is very odd
it implies mirror up

take the lens off:
- can you see the mirror?
- can you see the sensor?
- fire the shutter (set manual 1/000 or so)- can you see it do things?

might give us a clue

The 5700 is a digital compact, so not an SLR and no mirror or removable lens.

excuses!

Thanks for all the replies guys.
The camera has had no abuse and is always kept in its Lowepro AW case.
Changing the battery made no difference.
As mmcp42 suggests, it is just as if the mirror is jammed only as CT says its not a DSLR.

I may just leave it somewhere dry for a week or two to see if damp has affected it and it rights itself.
I don't think I'll throw any money at it though. I've got a D80 but tend to only use that occasionally as the 5700 is so damned convenient.

Back