Nikon 60mm f2.8 G AF-S ED Micro Lens questions??

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
Yes
hi there i was looking at the Nikon 60mm f2.8 G AF-S ED Micro Lens and was wondering if anyone could tell me about the macro work it does? i.e. has anyone got any photos taken on this lens? or advise me of a better lens for macro photography... i'm used to using a s100fs but recently brought a nikon d90 this lens says i can focus at 7.3" with a 1:1 reproduction ratio? does this mean i can get very good clos shots? or is there other lenses in this price rang (upto £400) that will do a better closer job? cheers ben

its a very good lens, any 1:1 macro lens will render the image at the same size. 60mm gives you less working distance than the more popular 90-105mm lens, but are easier to handhold (although handholding and macro isn't really the way to go)

I think you could spend much less than £400 and do just as well - for example Nikkor 55mm f/2.8 AI-S, Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Di, Tokina 100mm f/2.8 AT-X Pro etc, Sigma 150mm f/2.8 etc etc.

I have the older version of this lens and I really like it. You have the option to use it as a 'true' macro lens which limits the reproduction to 1:1 but you can also flick to switch to full which will enable you to get much closer. I have also used this lens with extension tubes which allows you to get up really close. The only limiting factor (as puddleduck mentioned) is that you have to be so close to your subject, I've never used anything but my macro lens so I can't really comment on the others. I probably dig up some shots if you wanted to have a look.

ive been asked for work to take shots of the electronic packages for the US military and i'm in need of a very good close-up lens that reproduces well as they will be used for our customers and our website.. i dont know much about macro but will be using a tripod and remote shutter release.. which other lens would you recommend? and can i see anyones macro shots with some nikon lenses?

cheers ben

also does anyone know what macro extension tubes i can use on my d90?? to get really close..

I have a PK-13 extension tube which as far as I can work out is a 27.5mm extension tube. This would give me effectively a 90mm macro lens when attached. The problem with using extension tubes is that you will have to get even closer to your subject than you did previously. Because you have a really really close focusing distance you have to take into account how this will affect your depth of field. To get sharpness I tend to stop down to f/16 pr even f/32, as you will be doing this in controlled conditions it will be possible for you to do this but in all honesty I would advise you to get a longer lens in the first place. I've heard good things about puddleduck's suggestion of a Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Di so perhaps look for that.

has anyone got any close-up shots taken with their macro lenses?

has anyone got any close-up shots taken with their macro lenses?

Why not search pbase or flickr using the lens name as the search criteria? You'll get more results than you'll know what to do with. :)

Pretty much any shots on my photostream of flowers or small things were done with my macro lens.

I have the older AF version and they are very good lenses. Here are a couple of photos. The 1st is a block of steel about 40mm square and the 2nd is a close up, both taken with the 60mm AF 2.8

aDSC_0886.jpg

Width across photo is about 30mm

aDSC_0837.jpg

Mick.

I've been thinking about one of these since moving to Nikon. Never dabbled in macro before. But being a 60mm lens, presume this would work equally well as a portrait lens?

Also thinking about the 50mm 1.4 but the attraction of 60mm macro is that it may serve two purposes, if can do nice portraits at F2.8? Any one used it for this purpose?

I've got the non AF-S version of the 60mm lens and I love it. It's so sharp, you could cut your fingers on it. I used it as a walk around lens for a while when I first got my D700.

Here's a few I've shot with my 60mm

I've done some portraits with it, I'll have to dig them out though but it's a lovely general use lens.

Dunno if it helps but i have the 105mm VR version and it's awesome, if the 60mm is of the same quality i would highly recommend it. i would prefer the longer working distance of the 105 though.

Chris.

I'm also looking for a macro lens, and have decided on the 105VR. Razor, razor sharp and fantastic bokeh (not that your clients will notice that of course).

Other than working distance, I'm struggling to see why you'd choose a 60 over 105 (on FF). Anyone?

I'm also looking for a macro lens, and have decided on the 105VR. Razor, razor sharp and fantastic bokeh (not that your clients will notice that of course).

Other than working distance, I'm struggling to see why you'd choose a 60 over 105 (on FF). Anyone?

A great portrait choice too (y)

Here's one taken with the Nikkor 105mm micro

AW2_2648.jpg

Back