Nikon 70-200 E FL

Edit My Images
No
I cant find any discussion on the Nikon 70-200E.

Does anyone have one. Do they love it?

I have pondered over a 70-200 for a while now (for a d500) and although i was first looking at the tamron vc g1 originally i cant stop looking at the E now.

Its a lot of money i know but almost reasonable from panamoz. Would anyone buy it from there?

I find it hard to believe that there would be much improvement on a good used VRll ... Panamoz have a good customer service record here.

ive heard of panamoz but never purchased from them. they suggest they give a 3 year warranty that is through nikon themselves. we only get one year in the uk on nikon lenses unlike the us that get 5 i believe so thats a definite positive.

ive read what reviews i can find and they all seem to conclude the same thing. that the E is a definite improvement on the VRii. Same as the tamron g2 is a good improvement on the g1. (i just think the g2 is ugly, but havent seen one in person)

I have pondered over a 70-200 for a while now (for a d500) and although i was first looking at the tamron vc g1 originally i cant stop looking at the E now.

Its a lot of money i know but almost reasonable from panamoz. Would anyone buy it from there?

My answer is based on some assumptions, so apologies in advance if I've added 2+2 and made 5! Assumptions are (i) if this is for a D500 then you're not pro and (ii) if you were originally looking at the tamron then you're not pushing the boundaries of the lens' performance for sports / action etc.. As such, save yourself a lot of money and buy a mint second hand 70-200 VRII as you really don't need the extra performance from the E version. Use the spare cash to buy another lens as well :)

My answer is based on some assumptions, so apologies in advance if I've added 2+2 and made 5! Assumptions are (i) if this is for a D500 then you're not pro and (ii) if you were originally looking at the tamron then you're not pushing the boundaries of the lens' performance for sports / action etc.. As such, save yourself a lot of money and buy a mint second hand 70-200 VRII as you really don't need the extra performance from the E version. Use the spare cash to buy another lens as well :)

all your assumptions are correct :)

how bout the tamron vc g1. that would save even more cash and probably do everything i want. does that lens have a good rep around here?

We have one in our bag but as a recent switcher to Nikon, I can't give you that many insights unfortunately.

The only thing I can compare it to, is the Pentax D-FA 70-200mm on the K-1. In comparison to that, it is definitely sharper across the board, focuses a lot faster and is a lot lighter!

From a Nikon point of view, we recently did a shoot with our newborn and the first thing we did after that was sell our 85mm F1.8. The 70-200 FL was sharper, even wide open, more convenient with the zoom and a hell of a lot faster to focus.

The decision was a lot easier for me as we got ours for less than £1700, 2nd hand, unused and grey admittedly but a no-brainer for the price.

It comes with a very high recommendation from me but without any experience with any other versions!

As an example, this is a 1:1 crop from a D810, 135mm, wide open.

DSC_1146.jpg

Last edited:
That image should be 1600 pixels wide, does the forum automatically re-size them?

Note the D500 is a DX camera and the Nikon 70-200mm lens range are primarily for FX Nikon cameras. So if you got one for yours the MM length would be different times 1.4 or 1.5 times more can't remember which.

There is no equivilant Nikon DX lens

Last edited:
I find it hard to believe that there would be much improvement on a good used VRll ... Panamoz have a good customer service record here.
Reviews and tests show that it's sharper wide open, although I've no complaints with my VRII in this regards. I think one of the biggest things is they've sorted the focus breathing for the E, if that's important to you.

what does a 70-200 vrii go for used at the moment?
Around £1300 for excellent bought from a store, so probably know a couple of hundred off for private.

Note the D500 is a DX camera and the Nikon 70-200mm lens range are primarily for FX Nikon cameras. So if you got one for yours the MM length would be different times 1.4 or 1.5 times more can't remember which.

There is no equivilant Nikon DX lens

Yep I'm used to DX cameras. It's a shame nikon don't do a dx equivalent. I used to use a Pentax 50-135 which was a great lens. Pentax made that lens in conjunction with tokina who do the same 50-135 in their own style. I've thought about this but it's pretty primative.

Sigma do a very nice 50-100mm f1.8 for DX but obviously it's a bit shorter.

Not forgetting the Nikon 70-200 VR1 (officially just VR.)

As mentioned, you could opt for a cheaper option, still have a great lens and money for more kit?

Also, any 70-200 is a desired lens. Selling it on will be straight forward.

Back