Nikon 70-200 & TC - IQ loss with landscapes?

Name
Stu
Edit My Images
No
Hey all.

Mulling over how to get some extra reach with my D750 & 70-200 2.8 (VR1 model) when landscaping, and the rare times I need more reach than the 200mm provides.

I know pretty much no one has complaints over the 1.4x TC in terms of degradation of IQ & AF ability, does anyone have experience using the 1.7 or 2x TC at landscape friendly apertures?

Any loss of IQ etc?

Cheers,

Stu

Had the mark II version of the lens mate, 1.7x worked well but IQ lost. 2x was terrible, If I was you mate just stay with the 1.4x and if you need more reach get something like a 300mm f/4 and put the 1.4x on that?

Had the mark II version of the lens mate, 1.7x worked well but IQ lost. 2x was terrible, If I was you mate just stay with the 1.4x and if you need more reach get something like a 300mm f/4 and put the 1.4x on that?
Good to know. I know the 2x isn't great, but I wondered once you'd stopped down etc whether it improved.

I can't see me ever needing more than 300mm (well, 280mm I suppose!) so I expect the 1.4 would be fine.

Good to know. I know the 2x isn't great, but I wondered once you'd stopped down etc whether it improved.

I can't see me ever needing more than 300mm (well, 280mm I suppose!) so I expect the 1.4 would be fine.

I wouldn't bother getting the 1.7x or 2x in your case mate, the 1.7x is okay on the 70-200mm and fairly nice when stopped down, the 2x was a waste of time and money for the MK II in my opinion so I would 110% avoid it on the MK1, just stick with the 1.4x mate and get the best IQ.

I wouldn't bother getting the 1.7x or 2x in your case mate, the 1.7x is okay on the 70-200mm and fairly nice when stopped down, the 2x was a waste of time and money for the MK II in my opinion so I would 110% avoid it on the MK1, just stick with the 1.4x mate and get the best IQ.
Cool, it's just at the idea stage at the moment but some extra reach wouldn't go a miss from time to time.

If I was you mate, personally I would get a nice condition 300mm f/4 on the used market, best option IMHO...
I see where your coming from, but the lens wouldn't get used very often so it would be a lot of money tied up in it. Least a 1.4 would be relatively cheap.

sadly I agree with Joe
1.4 - no issues & can use any time
1.7 - Suck's even stopped down - mines going on ebay
2.0 - only to used as last resort & stopped down to f8 (still soft though)
This is on the 70-200 Vr2.

I've got a 80-200 2.8 and have never used it for landscapes! If think you'd be better off shooting at 200 mm and cropping into what you intended on shooting in PP! For what quality you'd lose anyway in shooting with the TC attached

sadly I agree with Joe
1.4 - no issues & can use any time
1.7 - Suck's even stopped down - mines going on ebay
2.0 - only to used as last resort & stopped down to f8 (still soft though)
This is on the 70-200 Vr2.
Cheers Pete. I did wonder if stopped down apertures helped at all on the longer TCs but evidently not. I shall look into getting a 1.4 at some point.

I've got a 80-200 2.8 and have never used it for landscapes! If think you'd be better off shooting at 200 mm and cropping into what you intended on shooting in PP! For what quality you'd lose anyway in shooting with the TC attached
Well it seems a 1.4 isn't too bad, I have cropped in on other shots but a shame to loose all 24mpx if I don't need too.

Cheers Pete. I did wonder if stopped down apertures helped at all on the longer TCs but evidently not. I shall look into getting a 1.4 at some point.

Well it seems a 1.4 isn't too bad, I have cropped in on other shots but a shame to loose all 24mpx if I don't need too.

What would you rather have a 24mp fuzzy soft focused image than a pin sharp 10mp image?

Back