Nikon 70-200 vr 1/2

Name
Craig
Edit My Images
No
Hello,

I picked up a second hand Sigma 70-200 2.8 (i think this is the fist one they did) a while back but have never really been happy with the results I get, I find even on just cloudy days its still not any better than my cheap 70-300. I Find that i have to bin nearly 50% of what i take and still im not fully happy with the ones I keep.

I have tried to Fine tune the lens on a test chart also with little to no improvment.

Im now getting ready to dig deep and splash out on maybe a nikon version, Im temted to try and hire one but this is proving more difficult as im never home to reccive the delivery.

Is the Nikon VR 1/2 in a differnt league to my old Sigma ?

Will be used on my D300s , mostly Feild hockey some football and rugby Some road cycling events.

Here is a Link to some taken with the sigma http://craigsmithphoto.zenfolio.com/p813682237

If any one has any exp in this please let me know.

Thanks

Hi Craig, I bought a Nikon 70-200 2.8 and its awesome, even in the dim winter light and under floodlights. Here's a few from one of our game Southend -v- Jersey.

Both of us club togs use the Nikon 70-200 2.8, mine on a D300s and the other guy uses a D300.

Its a lot of money Craig but you will notice the difference. I bought mine 2nd hand as well, which is another way to go.

Just had a quick look through some of your images, seems to me missed focus on main subject, a few people behind the main subject are sharp. :shrug:

Just had a quick look through some of your images, seems to me missed focus on main subject, a few people behind the main subject are sharp. :shrug:

Yes its strange some times it back focuses and some times its not

or you missed the focus, happens to me most of the time. People move faster than the motor, if your keep rate is rising then you're getting better ;)

or you missed the focus, happens to me most of the time. People move faster than the motor, if your keep rate is rising then you're getting better ;)

I have found a shop in bristol to hire a Nikon 70-200 vr2 so will find out the weekends but im sure its no me :)

I used my D5000 for rugby and found quite a few of my shots were not the sharpest, but since getting my D300s everything I aim at is in focus due to the better and faster AF.

But he's using a D330s, I would hope that's giving him a better chance to get more keepers.
Looking at his shots, his lens is very faulty or he's missing the focus on the subject, I'd go for the latter, but not blaming his ability, more his expectation of his Sigma. What focus points are you using?

Yeah sorry Phil, should have made myself clear as I was replying to your quote "or you missed the focus, happens to me most of the time".

Leave me alone, just waiting for some new brain cells to come along :LOL:

And if I dont get paid from a gig I landed I will have 1 for sale at the end of the month

But he's using a D330s, I would hope that's giving him a better chance to get more keepers.
Looking at his shots, his lens is very faulty or he's missing the focus on the subject, I'd go for the latter, but not blaming his ability, more his expectation of his Sigma. What focus points are you using?

I use the centre only, as i was told this was the best way to get the fastest AF speed.

some one also point oput to be a while back that i might be missing, but I think i might have been at first but I have taken that on board and checked in the nikon software that shows where the focus point selected and On the non keepers there on the target. (so i can only see that i have a non sharp copy) OR doggy Af motor

This weekend will tell as I am booking a nikon to try, as at the moment i feel i dont know any diff. but maybe the months of :bang: will be over fingers crossed.

Sorry forgot to say thanks :) for all the comments and people taking the time to look at the pics to help.

Something else to check...!

In the D300/D700 plus cameras there is a focus lock setting that is used for tracking, i found that i had to change that to get the most out of my sigma.

The option is how long it will pause before it refocuses so if you are shooting football and someone crosses your line of field it will not just focus on them then go back to where it was...!

I changes mine to short i think so if someone gets in the way it will just focus to them. This means that in my view you should get more shots in focus.....

Or i might be wrong .... :)

Back