Nikon 70-200mm 2.8 + Nikon TC20E II Converter..

Edit My Images
No
Hi,

I've recently purchased a Nikon 70-200mm 2.8 VR1 and a Nikon TC20E II Converter for my D300s... ... i'm hoping to venture out tomorrow to try them out, but in the meantime, i was wondering if anyone had any photos taken with this combination to give me an idea of what i could expect? I know the lens is a cracking piece of kit, but just wondered what the results would be like once it coupled up with the converter...

I look forward to seeing some images...

Cheers,
Moey!

Got em and have images with my library from air shows etc. Can't point to em cos am out and about in mobile. I was very pleased with the results and well worth the money.

I am thinking of going the route of teleconverter also while I save towards a 400 f2.8

Thanks for the replies, pleased to see i'm not the only one wanting to see images with this combination... ... on a more sour note, i went out to a local nature reserve yesterday to test it out and came back with poor results.... however, I'm pretty sure it wasn't the setup, it was more the fact that i need a lot of practice, much more in fact.. .. i've deleted all the shots and hoping to go out again for another try... ... the worst thing is, when i arrived at the reserve, i got my lens on and just got out of the car to hear some commotion around me... when i looked across, i realised a group of people pointing up... i looked to see, what i believe was a buzzard carrying a sparrowhawk... i don't know my birds (feathered ones) at all, but i was told that's what it was from the group who were watching... i didn't have time to look at what the camera was set at, so just grabbed it off the seat and started firing... ... i would have needed a hell of a lot of luck and technique to grab that... unfortunately as you may have guessed, i didn't capture it... ...

I'm still looking forward to seeing results from other forum members, so please feel free to share your shots to show us what this lens and converter combination is capable of.. ...

Moey!

I took this with a D300s & the 70-200mm VR (not sure if it was with a TC-20E or 1.7x or even the 1.4x) that was virtually straight from the D300s as am crap at photo editing :LOL:

drfly.jpg

Hi,

I have a couple of photos taken with the 70-200mm and TC-20E III on my flickr. Here is a recent one. The original looks sharper before the upload. I'm pretty new to this lens combo and find that any poor results are normally down to my user error:LOL:

_DSC3990edit1 by .:W:., on Flickr

Hope you decide to purchase.

Puddle

Last edited:
Well, i finally went out yesterday with the intention of shooting anything that moved, just to try out my new lens and converter.. ... ok, so this subject wasn't really moving too fast, but hey, i have to start somewhere... ... here is one of my attempts shot at a local nature reserve... ...
7122727059_999002db44_z.jpg

All comments welcome...

Thanks,
Moey!

I used to have the 2.0 II and wasn't really ever happy with the results on my 70-200mm vr.
I replaced it with the III version and that is a completely different beast. Not cheap though, but with the amount of use I get out of it, it's worth every penny to me.

Kev.

I used to have the 2.0 II and wasn't really ever happy with the results on my 70-200mm vr.
I replaced it with the III version and that is a completely different beast. Not cheap though, but with the amount of use I get out of it, it's worth every penny to me.

Kev.

That's interesting to know Kev as i did wonder if there was a big difference between the two converters... ... i've only just got this combo and so far, i've not been too overjoyed with the results either.. .. i know most of it is human error, but putting those issues aside, i'm not too happy with the image quality... i know i'm not going to get the results of a 400mm 2.8 lens with this combo, but i was hoping for something better than i'm getting at present.. ... i'd love to see some results of your combo as i may decide to go for the III instead...

I've got a feeling that this was a crop of that combo, from last years RIAT. A big crop if I remember correctly.
I lost about 1500 images on my usual image storage site, so I'm having to go from memory until I reload them onto flickr.

It's fairly well documented on here That I rave about the 2.0 III converter. It is amazing with the 300mm 2.8.
I have great expectations for it when I get the D4 and couple it to the 200-400mm f4. The D4 will auto focus with it.

6654733187_cbf1479c3d_o.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

The flying helmet isn't distorted. That's how it is. It has bubbles all over it.

An example of the 300mm with the 2x fitted:

5065178319_8647e2c5e6_o.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Kev.

Last edited:
Amazing pics Kev. What was your vantage point - a cloud? ;)

Amazing pics Kev. What was your vantage point - a cloud? ;)

If you look really really closely (like nose to the screen) you can see Kev's reflection on the cockpit canopy :p :LOL: :coat:

Wow... awesome shots Kev... .. yes, it definately shows the quality of the new 2x converter... ... well, just when i thought it was time to stop spending... ... ... ...

Wow... awesome shots Kev... .. yes, it definately shows the quality of the new 2x converter... ... well, just when i thought it was time to stop spending... ... ... ...

It's never time..;) :D

Back