Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 VRII or f4 or Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 SP Di VC USD for weddings.

Edit My Images
No
I'm close to buying a lens of this focal range for wedding photography and rehearsal/set photography for local dramatics groups and I've narrowed it down to three options. Two of are f2.8 and one is f4.
My dilemma is whether or not the f4 is capable of allowing a D750 to focus quickly and accurately in low light. I want to use available light only.

Of the Nikon f2.8 some seem to cite the weight as an issue others not. This lens has also been around for 6 years now, maybe it's coming up for a refresh? They could update the VR system and remove the focus breathing feature for example which would make a difference for some I'm sure. Maybe even shave a few oz's off it's weight.

I had even considered the older 80-200 f2.8D ED two ring zoom. Older design and no VR but excellent optics. Can be had for bargain price as well. Again, not sure if this would work for me or against me considering I want to use available light only and it has no VR. To counter this the D750 has excellent high ISO capability so is this an issue or not??

If anyone has any first hand experience of these lenses under similar circumstances and can offer an honest appraisal I'd be pleased to hear it!

Thanks.

Last edited:
I have the tamron vc, it's superb but you can't use TCS with it.

I've owned the sigma 70-200 non OS, the OS version, the nikon 70-200 2.8 vr and 80-200 2.8 twin ring. The tamron is better than all of them.

Thanks for this, can't beat experience for a review. Tamron seems to be in high demand lately!

Nikon 70-200 f4 is really impressive and light too if you don't need 2.8

That's the thing. I'm trying to work out if I do need it. It could be an expensive mistake otherwise.

I think teleconverter use is very secondary for me, so maybe this is favourite so far...
Maybe Tamron will release their own for this lens.

That's the thing. I'm trying to work out if I do need it. It could be an expensive mistake otherwise.

I recently moved on an f4 because I wasn't using it, its a great lens and focused brilliantly but I think I'd want f2.8 for weddings in low light.

If you want the best then go for the Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VRII. Simply stunning lens, renders beautifully and is the best lens I've used. Weight isn't an issue if used on a sling strap.

Where do you suppose we are in the life span of the current VRII lens? It's 6 years old now, due a refresh any time soon?
Obviously you can't suspend a purchase indefinitely on a hunch.
Maybe it's replacement would be considerably more expensive...

Thanks for all the replies so far!

If you want the best then go for the Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VRII. Simply stunning lens, renders beautifully and is the best lens I've used. Weight isn't an issue if used on a sling strap.
My wife bought me one of the Joby sling straps, it's brilliant. This is encouraging news, for either using the Tamron or Nikon f2.8...which is what I think this thread has determined to be the best choice.

My wife bought me one of the Joby sling straps, it's brilliant. This is encouraging news, for either using the Tamron or Nikon f2.8...which is what I think this thread has determined to be the best choice.
Can't vouch for the Joby, but the q-strap neo is excellent. I use a secondary tether just to be on the safe side ;)

I can't comment on the Nikon as I am a Canon user but I have the Tamron and it is an excellent lens, if you look on you tube Matt Grainger ( That Nikon Guy) did a detailed side by side review on the Tamron against the Nikon 70-200 vr2 and Canon equivalent. This convinced me on the Tamron.

As to carrying yes the slings are very good for heavy lenses, however I recently switched to the Spider Pro system. This is considerably better, the waist is moved to the waist, also you don't have to worry about it catching on the ground when you bend over, kneel down etc.

I can't comment on the Nikon as I am a Canon user but I have the Tamron and it is an excellent lens, if you look on you tube Matt Grainger ( That Nikon Guy) did a detailed side by side review on the Tamron against the Nikon 70-200 vr2 and Canon equivalent. This convinced me on the Tamron.

As to carrying yes the slings are very good for heavy lenses, however I recently switched to the Spider Pro system. This is considerably better, the waist is moved to the waist, also you don't have to worry about it catching on the ground when you bend over, kneel down etc.
Yeah I saw that the Tammy is sharper than the Canon. What I find lacking in reviews though is the look that a lens gives and they just tend to talk about sharpness. Look is far more subjective though and something difficult to quantify. The VRII is stunning though in this regard IMO.

Yeah I saw that the Tammy is sharper than the Canon. What I find lacking in reviews though is the look that a lens gives and they just tend to talk about sharpness. Look is far more subjective though and something difficult to quantify. The VRII is stunning though in this regard IMO.
Exactly my experience...I've been there, done it, gone through every 'cheaper' option to ultimately end up with the read deal and be fully satisfied. It did cost me a lot more money and time to get there that way.

I owned the Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VR for many years until I finally sold it for an 85mm f1.8 instead !!!

Sounds weird I know - but its FAR lighter, smaller, far more inconspicuous and faster with less DoF too. Its been a game changer for me in how I use that focal length and I wouldn't go back :)

Just a thought

Dave
It's a great prime, but wouldn't fit my needs. Obviously you have to use what suits you (y)

So is the Tamron IME. Its not just sharp.

So is the Tamron IME. Its not just sharp.
Never said it wasn't, but I just preferred the examples I saw taken with Nikon, and since owning it it hasn't disappointed in the slightest :p

Have had most of the 70-200 options for Nikon at one time or another the Nikon VR2 is the best option however in terms of value for money the Tamron is a good option. The Tamron gives about 90% of the performance for nearly half the price. Wouldn't consider the f/4 version for weddings.

I owned the Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VR for many years until I finally sold it for an 85mm f1.8 instead !!!

Sounds weird I know - but its FAR lighter, smaller, far more inconspicuous and faster with less DoF too. Its been a game changer for me in how I use that focal length and I wouldn't go back :)

Just a thought

Dave
An interesting one too. I have an 85mm f1.8 and have been thoroughly impressed with it. The work I've done so far I've used that and a 35mm f1.4 (Sigma Art series lens) and have found that between them it's a good range covered and bokeh on either is very good.

For weddings, I never use anything longer than a 85.
And it's seconded!

I don't have anything longer than an 85mm available to me. Am I talking myself into needing this or do I need something to give a little more reach if needed??

Never quite as simple as you first thought...

Some great discussion points and suggestions being made though, thank you!

Last edited:
Do you need more 'reach' than an 85 mm ??? Good question

I asked myself that long & hard before selling my 70-200; so I looked through lots of Weddings to see what sorts of focal lengths I'd been using it at and mostly it was between 70-140 ish mm

Considering I have a 24mp camera cropping to the same view a 140mm length would give me is a no-brainer in terms of still being enough quality of image - so my extra-reach is just a bit of cropping if I can't walk forwards lol

I've already found that as its far lighter, focuses closer and is also faster I use it far more than I did the 70-200 anyway

I'm very happy with the move :)

Dave

Do you need more 'reach' than an 85 mm ??? Good question

I asked myself that long & hard before selling my 70-200; so I looked through lots of Weddings to see what sorts of focal lengths I'd been using it at and mostly it was between 70-140 ish mm

Considering I have a 24mp camera cropping to the same view a 140mm length would give me is a no-brainer in terms of still being enough quality of image - so my extra-reach is just a bit of cropping if I can't walk forwards lol

I've already found that as its far lighter, focuses closer and is also faster I use it far more than I did the 70-200 anyway

I'm very happy with the move :)

Dave
This seems to make sense. I think what I may do as far weddings go is try the same approach as I have a 24mp camera also. When the Tamron 70-200 becomes available through one of the 'non-UK' sources for £688 I may go for that for my own personal photography. As 'f2.8' said, 90% of the performance for nearly half the price.

I should add that I own a 70-200 vrII. The only use its gotten in 6 months was when a friend borrowed it. I must put it up for sale.

85 is perfect for weddings. Wide open its great for dark churches and portraits. It's light and discreet. As someone said, paired with a 24mp+ body, you can crop to zoom if really needed.

I should add that I own a 70-200 vrII. The only use its gotten in 6 months was when a friend borrowed it. I must put it up for sale.

85 is perfect for weddings. Wide open its great for dark churches and portraits. It's light and discreet. As someone said, paired with a 24mp+ body, you can crop to zoom if really needed.
I'll look out for the ad in case the price fits my budget!

Back