Nikon 70-200mm vs Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 Sport

Name
Gaz
Edit My Images
Yes
Afternoon all.

I mainly shoot equestrian, and I have recently upgraded to the D850. As a result, I am looking at getting a new lens for my equestrian photography (outdoor & indoor), and have been looking at the above lenses.

Does anyone have any experience of these? From research it seems the Nikon 70-200mm is amazing, but I wondered if the Sigma 120-300mm was a worthy rival in this situation and is worth looking at? I could also look at getting a converter going forwards to take the Sigma to 400mm at f4 if I wanted further reach.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

I've been using a Sigma 120-300 f2/.8 Sport for motorsport and for rugby. Biggest drawback is its a heavy lens, but that is to be expected. Would certainly recommend you considering it. Works quite well with a teleconverter if extra reach is required and can't be achieved by cropping. I still have a 70-200 and a 100-400 (lighter but less good in lower light as not f/2.8)

Nikon 70-200 VR2 isn't bad either. I can see the attraction of the 120-300 Sigma though, by all accounts a superb lens but always with a bit of a question mark with 3rd party lenses.

The latest version of the Sigma 120-300 is a very good lens - the previous versions were always highly regarded as well. The lens is well made and robust. Sigma's service department wasn't as quick as Canon's own service department but based on what I've read elsewhere, probably as quick as Nikon.

If you need 300mm and f/2.8, and need a zoom and don't have £ 10k to spend on the Nikon version, the Sigma fits the bill.

I'm an equestrian photographer and have both.

The answer to your question is - get the 70-200. Each and every time.

It is the absolute, basic, must have for equestrian sport. The 120-300 is not a substitute, it is an add-on.

Big thanks to everyone who has taken the time to reply and offer their views and opinions, really appreciate it!

Looks like the 70-200mm is the winner! Thanks all.

Back