Nikon 70-300 AF-P FX Price Drop

Does anyone know why the price of the 70-300 af-p dropped from £699 to £519?

Add in £90 cash back at the moment and its a very good price.
I don't know why, but I've been seriously contemplating it myself over the past week or so. Even without cash back it's only £20 more than the outgoing lens, and with cash back it's cheaper which is very odd. I thought it might just be a 'promotion' on amazon but even the Nikon site has RRP listed as £519.

I saw that Nikon also had the rrp listed at £519 which is why in thought it must be a price drop and not a promotion.

I looked again yesterday and it had changed to £539 (on Nikon) so I pre ordered with Amazon as I couldn't resist. Most places seem to be awaiting stock.

Wow, I had no idea about the cash back! I’ve just bought one at £519 and have submitted the cashback claim.

Thank you!

i already tried one a little while ago (when it was £699) for a few weeks.

i think its better than the last version in every way apart from it feels a little cheaper built to me. for £699 i couldn't justify it. for £429 i can.

7V7Fu-IVuN8jPPVPFM-KtQBOZKrWOLoEM10UKZ0xrjyG8x9rCA-QobtTgyNbrAkogQNCltWnpsVrW8VJSzNoOvh8p6-otDBnURAAlnvxrimA-h5N8p2StGiIZH0pGBvo7AqFYACAsAxt6okw0SdHV_kfuY0MHSOUVJjf2jwzlR4gQUs42Z5MaI_uGHYf_9ljnxk6rZLa690W5NmMdsm2OeSW52eZuRIs3crFE_bzqG8O0hu2XyGJ2nZ283-7H6u8r2BUcseEDskkvVL1T1TC60NeDqh96XkrEAj6BJRAHBxHNNXDfUFStz9B9_sJhrOkc_UJVeK3axDi3ObvtW32u12XIqvQG1qB5S1XUxBBXSreTPYfHUqTLbpwrVc1bzBi6IrgiwwVKca9rr-zQ956_pBGv-g5UWrXHexLYDlqS4JJceeogdG9e3pxeG8Oee2OHsSUY-42ZfjQko38A9eor58uSYWCBh_XkIdlCS33AfTv6QxgCrwUyiZtRSm-POc2xVEbltFqwBwTWOt1t3M0qg8QVl8dRJdOQHNUm3jiMAkB3No4g1neClj8p-IxyM4Qp0XQCfnitPuXOXiHsZL9p2eSSqsMD6evgCdNad2W=w1024-h1093-no

Last edited:
I would love to know how it compares optically to the Tamron 100-400mm. For me it’s a choice between weight and the extra 100mm reach, but if one’s noticeably better optically that’d make my decision easier.

if it wasn't for the weight i would take the 80-400 over the 70-300 any day.

id love to know as well how the tamron 100-400 and 70-210 compare to the nikons.

with the 100-400 vs the 70-300 you also lose the 70-100 end which i would miss. this is where i find the 80-400 more of a compromise.

Last edited:
if it wasn't for the weight i would take the 80-400 over the 70-300 any day.

id love to know as well how the tamron 100-400 and 70-210 compare to the nikons.

with the 100-400 vs the 70-300 you also lose the 70-100 end which i would miss. this is where i find the 80-400 more of a compromise.
It’s the price of the 80-400mm that puts me off tbh. At 400mm it’s not really any better than my Tamron 150-600mm at 500mm in terms of sharpness. I did contemplate the 80-400mm now that I have the D810 which in DX mode is still 19mp (effectively giving me a 600mm lens with a 19mp image) as I’m suffering more and more with my fibro and the 500g or so saving would be very welcome. But £2k new or £1300 used is a lot to pay for a 500g saving :eek:

But this is also why I’ve been contemplating the 70-300mm, for the times I’m struggling and also for motorsport instead of lugging my 70-200mm f2.8 around. I’m not prepared to go as far as using my Olympus system as my primary system just yet ;)

It’s the price of the 80-400mm that puts me off tbh.

Completely agree. I got mine at a good price which is the only reason i even contemplated it.

Im still torn between the long lenses i have due to weight and back issues. I think to myself 'ill get the new 70-300 and sell the 80-400' but then think how much i like it and decide not to again for a while.

Its the same with the 200-500. If i stupidly lug it around all day i decide its getting sold, but then i see the images and decide ill regret it. So right now i have the 3 and use whichever my back will let me.

Hi Doug, what are your thoughts on the lens?

So far the few sample images I've taken with it have exceeded my expectations of the lens. I'm going to be using it properly this week so hopefully do some more meaningful testing.

This review really helped me decide between the various options: http://www.dslrbodies.com/lenses/ni...-lens-reviews/nikon-70-300mm-f45-56-af-p.html

This is a travel lens so needs to be packable. I intend to get a 150-600 Sigma down the line for dedicated wildlife when required.

Just had the confirmation from Nikon that they've accepted my claim and photo evidence of warranty card and invoice. Hopefully that cashback will be processed soon :)

Just had the confirmation from Nikon that they've accepted my claim and photo evidence of warranty card and invoice. Hopefully that cashback will be processed soon :)

My 70-300 AF-S has given up the ghost on the VR side of things....

Where did you buy from in the end?

I have a d7200 and thinking of purchasing this lens - can anyone explain this to me:-
Re - compatability
Meter off defocus issue: D3 series, D4 series, Df, D300 series, D700, D800 series, D810, D5200, D7000, D7100, D7200.

Thanks

They were out of stock when I ordered but got the lens in within 2 days so maybe drop shipping them?

I have a d7200 and thinking of purchasing this lens - can anyone explain this to me:-
Re - compatability
Meter off defocus issue: D3 series, D4 series, Df, D300 series, D700, D800 series, D810, D5200, D7000, D7100, D7200.

Thanks

From what I remember reading this is.

When the camera goes into standby and then out again the lens will lose it's previous focus location, requiring you to refocus.

Reactions: Doc
would you not consider the nikon 28-300mm optical just as good maybe better quality build and a wider range
i have one and find the 28-300 a go to lens

would you not consider the nikon 28-300mm optical just as good maybe better quality build and a wider range

I've never used the 28-300. Have you used a 70-300 to compare?

The 28-300mm isn't as good optically as the older 70-300mm G VR let alone the new AF-P one. Obviously depending on what you shoot and how you shoot, and on what body combo you put it on will determine how much difference and whether it's noticeable to the individual (y).

Last edited:
Grays of Westminster have them in stock at £519 (£6 postage)

Super fast focus - quicker than I've ever seen on a Nikon :)

My earlier version will not focus consistently (rattles somewhat :( ) - repair or replace? Then this came along - GAS exploded :)

From what I remember reading this is.

When the camera goes into standby and then out again the lens will lose it's previous focus location, requiring you to refocus.

Also, later cameras will overcome this issue with a firmware upgrade but not all are supported (D700 for example)

And I've just had my email from Nikon confirming my 'cashback' will be in my bank account within 10 days! :)
Me too. :) Very efficient by Nikon imho.

Thanks for the heads up in this thread. (y) I will end up having a £700+ lens for £430. :D

Last edited:
I got the confirmation email from Nikon on 18/07/18 saying that they had received my cashback claim and it was being processed by their team. I got another email on 20/07/18 saying that my Nikon Cashback had been processed and would be in my account within 10 working days of receiving the e-mail. £90 cashback put into my account on 24/07/18. Very efficient. :) Well done Nikon. :clap:

Thanks again to Richard for starting this thread and highlighting the price drop and the cashback offer. :)

Last edited:
Just ordered this lens, tried hard not to but at £429 after CB it was just too hard to resist ;)

A great lens for what it cost. Just applying for cashback now. Ideal for most of what I shoot outdoors, but still need a 2.8 70-200 lens as well.

A great lens for what it cost. Just applying for cashback now. Ideal for most of what I shoot outdoors, but still need a 2.8 70-200 lens as well.
Can’t beat the 70-200mm f2.8 but decided to get this lens for something lighter for motorsport and the occasional Wildlife when I can’t use my 150-600mm (y)

My 70-300mm arrived today from amazon.co.uk, whilst it won't get a proper test until the weekend my initial impressions are good. AF appears fast and accurate, and it appears to be sharp. It's also light yet surprisingly well built for a lens of this calibre and price point (even before cash back).

I just have a couple of queries for those that have sent off their cash back claims. It looks as though the warranty card is now just the back of the manual rather than a separate card, is this correct? Also, on my warranty 'card' the lens model is listed but where it says serial number it's blank, as is everything else. Is this the same for everyone else and have Nikon accepted it OK, or did you fill in all the details yourself? Last time I had a cash back claim (70-200mm f2.8 VRII) it had a separate warranty card and the serial number was on the warranty card itself.

Mine got declined (reason: Delivery Note / Invoice required). I had submitted the order summary from amazon (one of the invoice options) which showed all the information required.

Ive resubmitted with the full invoice pdf (which ive taken a screen shot of as you can only submit jpgs!)

We shall see....

Back