nikon 70-300 af-p fx

Very interested to see if you gets any replies to this as I'm considering one to replace my 70-300 VR which doesn't produce very good results at the long end. It's either that or a 70-200 F4 plus 1.4x TC for me (I already have the TC). Have you posted similar before? Assuming you didn't get much of a response?

I have the VR version, I am no expert but I am very pleased with it, it is very fast to focus and in my opinion gives very sharp results.
It is very light and only has a plastic mount but is great value for money, it uses the new stepping motor, I also have the newer 18-55 kit lens which is the same and they have also released the 10-20mm in the same format.
Just make sure your body is compatible, there is a list on the Nikon web site, on some bodies you cannot turn the VR off.

I have the VR version, I am no expert but I am very pleased with it, it is very fast to focus and in my opinion gives very sharp results.
It is very light and only has a plastic mount but is great value for money, it uses the new stepping motor, I also have the newer 18-55 kit lens which is the same and they have also released the 10-20mm in the same format.
Just make sure your body is compatible, there is a list on the Nikon web site, on some bodies you cannot turn the VR off.

Correct me if im wrong but i believe you are referring to the DX version,as you mentioned the 18-55 which is not available in FX ,also the 10-20 either .
Apologies if i have this wrong.

Tried it and sent it back. Was not impressed with its performance on the D750 at all.

I think it’s overpriced for what it is. It felt quite cheap and was already suffering from lens creep.

Indoor focussing was slow and painful.

Outdoors it was better but really couldn’t say it’s any better than the old 70-300 VR FX.

Overall I found it disappointing.

Tried it and sent it back. Was not impressed with its performance on the D750 at all.

I think it’s overpriced for what it is. It felt quite cheap and was already suffering from lens creep.

Outdoors it was better but really couldn’t say it’s any better than the old 70-300 VR FX.

thanks for the helpful post

may just buy the 28-300mm instead

Interesting (and disappointing in this case) to get some real world feedback. All the reviews I've seen suggest it's a great piece of kit compared to the old model. Same old same old when it comes to reviews then it seems (latest is greatest of course)! Would you say focus speed was worse than with the old FX version then?

no its the FX version I'm interested in
Yes i was replying to sean wilson,just in case you didnt realise he was talking about the dx version but i guess you realised.
Thom Hogan gives a good review of the FX version as he did of the DX also

Interesting (and disappointing in this case) to get some real world feedback. All the reviews I've seen suggest it's a great piece of kit compared to the old model. Same old same old when it comes to reviews then it seems (latest is greatest of course)! Would you say focus speed was worse than with the old FX version then?
I do feel Thom Hogan reviews are critical when needed and he gives good balanced reviews genrealy

Maybe it was a bad copy and maybe I have been spoilt with the quality of the 70-200 F4.

I've bought Chris' dx version - tried it out at lunchtime and and appears to be fine on the d500. Typically a grey day when a new lens comes so f6.3 = ISO2500. Focus is fine, not exactly snappy but no hunting either..grey squirrels on a grey day :popcorn:

Did leave me with 2 concerns though..

1) 300mm isn't long enough
2) f6.3 on the dx version isn't bright enough

BUT for the money, you can't do wrong if you can get a used one i'd say. Its been a long time since i had a 70-300 and this AF-P is bloody tiny and weighs nothing

Hi, sorry for any confusion, yes I was talking about the DX version, I didn’t realise they was a full frame equivalent

Opps...posted a thread exactly as this one before seeing it...apologies did not mean to hijack anything...so will be interested in the conclusion here.

I have the S version and wondering if it's worth upgrading to the P version...it seems not given the response so far.

There are several threads about this in the Nikon lens section over on DP review.
Most experiences seem positive.

The dx P that i have is completely silent in focussing and is very very small and lightweight compared the the AF-S

Back