Nikon 70-300 vr help needed

Name
Ann
Edit My Images
Yes
I have just bought a Nikon 70-300 vr lens while i was focusing on my dogs and birds it was making a lot of noise a bit grating i also have the 55-200 but this is very quiet when focusing has anybody experenced this, have i got a problem lens

Was this on auto focus? If yes, does it make that same noise when manual focusing?

There's probably a bit of sand or something in the AF mechanism. Have you taken it to a beach recently? does it do it when it zooms?

I have both the same lenses and that doesn't sound right, My 70-300 is as quiet if not more so than the 55-200. I would take it back to where you got it and ask for a exchange.

Are you sure it is not the VR clonking about a bit :shrug:

Try turning the VR of and seee if it still makes the noise. Although it may still be a badun at least you might know what the problem is :thinking:

I have just bought a Nikon 70-300 vr lens while i was focusing on my dogs and birds it was making a lot of noise a bit grating i also have the 55-200 but this is very quiet when focusing has anybody experenced this, have i got a problem lens

My 70-200 be made a hissing noise as did the cheaper vr lenses I've had, the 70-300 made a worse noise. Grating or running water? It's normal.

Take it back is my advice.
I have the same lens and it is really quiet, auto and manual focus.

Yup, my copy is quiet too; as quiet as the 55-200mm. The only VR lens I have had that was noisy was a 18-200mm. It really was loud and was sent straight back to the shop.

I remember with my VR 70 to 300 a distinctive "wobbling noise" when VR was doing it's bits and bobs. You could feel the shifting....it's a cracking lens, absolutely love mine.

G.

Thank you very much for all your help i have taken it back this morning there was a problem on the focus ring they changed it straight away i am off out now to give this one a go

Thank you very much for all your help i have taken it back this morning there was a problem on the focus ring they changed it straight away i am off out now to give this one a go

Good for you - enjoy it it is a cracking lens.

I presume that as you have taken it back you bought it from a high street shop - despite the slightly higher prices thats the main advantage over the internet (y)

I had one of those lenses, i could only just hearing it operate when there wasn't any other sounds. While attempting to get some decent moon shots ;)

Good for you - enjoy it it is a cracking lens.

I presume that as you have taken it back you bought it from a high street shop - despite the slightly higher prices thats the main advantage over the internet (y)

Yes, it is a good job i did i am spending next weekend on cannock chase hoping to get lots of bird and wildlife shots i very much doubt if i had it offline i would have gotten it back in time. I am already pleased with the photos i have already taken with it

Back