Nikon 80-200 2.8, views and opinions?

Name
Edit My Images
No
Im after a decent zoom which would be good for low light, sisters wedding coming up (im not shooting it! im just happy snapping it) and just want something good for low light inside the church. Ive got the 35-70 2.8 and thats a lovely lens but 70 will be a bit short.

So the 80-200 2.8. I cant afford or justify 1600 for the 70-200 at the moment so decided on this one. But there seem to be a lot of flavours of it out there. Grays have several ranging from £400 to £850 and i just dont know what the differences are.

So does anyone own one? Which model is the one to aim for? General thoughts on it?

I have the 80-200 f2.8 D two-touch, ie not the trombone style. Bloody marvellous lens - everyone should have one. Fast, heavy, tough, well-made, doesn't depreciate, fantastic bokeh and great images

My only criticism is that you tend to have to walk away from subjects at times as the closest focussing distance is about six feet. Other than that it's perfect

From the Ace Cafe Run

2012-ace-cafe-run-4217.jpg

Nick Froome

Last edited:
what does "2 touch" mean though? ive seen them advertised but didnt know what it meant. Is it still push-pull zoom like the 35-70?

The 80-200 is a very good lens, the single ring push/pull being the oldest and generally around the £300-350 mark - good ones are still available but older ones can be prone to zoom creep.
The two-ring version goes for £500+ and is an improvement on the single ring version - it is sharp but lacks the AF speed of the later 70-200 models.
The 80-200 AF-S occasionally comes up for sale at around the £700-800 mark and it has faster AF and the three-button focus presets.
The 80-200 is a very good option for those not wishing to spend the extra on the 70-200 versions.

Two-touch is twist ring rather than push-pull single ring.

I just recently sold my old push-pull 80-200. I had the second gen one-touch, there is an earlier one with a more awkward limit switch. You can tell the oldest type by it's smooth barrel, the 2nd gen push-pull has a more modern limit switch and crinkle coating on the barrel.

Optically all 80-200 models are pretty much on a par. All excellent.

Everything in this set was taken using mine:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cagey75/sets/72157629376270850/

I only sold it on because I'm upgrading all of my gear and I'm aiming to get the 70-200 vr II.

got the two ringer here, fantastic lens, it really is, don't let the size and weight put you off, i first started using mine on a nice sunny day handheld shooting wide open at 2.8 and nearly every shot came out in focus and brilliant, couple that with the all metal build, it's a great if slightly heavy lens which will provide very good quality pictures :)

a favourite shot of mine with said lens @F8 on a D200

_DSC8074 by Seraph82, on Flickr

Last edited:
I have the 80-200 f2.8 D ED and it's a brilliant lens. Yes, the AF is a touch slower than the 70-200 and it's marginally softer wide open, but it's still a wonderful optic.

Here's one from my last shoot with it...
7975595840_cf5512e8c3_b.jpg

Fab lens for the money, I have the push-pull version and I love it. It is heavy though.

Andy

the weight is a bit of a worry but at half the price of a 70-200 you cant moan too much i guess. I actually had a go with a 70-200 vr2 at the weekend in jesspos and was amazed how light it was! but 1600!!! ouch.

Great sample images though, its helped make my mind up.

I looked at the 80-200 but the price difference between these and the 70-200 VR1 seems to have narrowed a bit recently I paid £850 for a mint boxed 70-200 VR1 in the end and am pleased with the choice. I think the VR is worth the extra premium and I am very impressed with the the VR, the focus speed and the optical performance.

The VR would be a godsend in a dim church, 2.8 isn't that fast in low light and you will need to keep your shutter speed up to avoid camera shake, you can get away with much slower shutter speeds at the longer end with the VR. If I had to use an 80-200 in a dark church I'd have it on a monopod.

well it wont just be used for a wedding, i do studio shoots too so it will be good for those. And i'll be using a monopod in the church. Not had a good experience with hiring companies in the past so not really considering that.

I see fixation have a 70-200 vr1 up for grabs but its a private sale so no warranty or idea what condition its in but its a similar price to the 80-200's ive seen. Anyway, 2 weeks to make my mind up :)

I see fixation have a 70-200 vr1 up for grabs but its a private sale so no warranty or idea what condition its in but its a similar price to the 80-200's ive seen. Anyway, 2 weeks to make my mind up :)

Just remember that Fixation quote prices less VAT so you need to add the VAT to the price you see on their site - might not be such a bargain.

The two-ring version goes for £500+ and is an improvement on the single ring version - it is sharp but lacks the AF speed of the later 70-200 models.

Right on the money.

I had the dual ring too and that just about sums it up nicely.

Back