Nikon 80-200mm for use with live view and auto focus

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone,

I am looking at getting an 80-200mm Nikon, and I have seen a few versions floating about.
I use a Nikon D810 currently, and use live view for everything (as I can't hold the camera, I use a tablet to control it and live view through the tablet)

From my reading, it seems that the AF-S 80-200/2.8D IF ED has the fastest AF, is this right, and does this work ok with live view? Are there other versions of the lens that I should consider?

I have seen the Nikon AF 80-200mm f/2.8D IF-ED, One Touch for £430 in excellent condition, is this the same version or is the one touch different?
Are there any things i should look out for or be aware of in terms of issues etc?

Finally, is mpb an ok to buy from, and are there any other places that would be recommended?

Thanks,

I had an 80-200 one touch a few years ago on a D700.

My copy was a slow focuser through the viewfinder (didn't try it on live view) and was quite soft at f2.8 but stellar from F4 onwards.

I'd go for a newer 70-200 If I were you as newer lenses have faster AF motors in them.

But I think in live view most lenses will be slower to focus as you are using contrast detect.

Live view with this lens on the D810 will be approx the same speed as your current lenses, the camera AF using contrast detection is the limiting factor, not the lenses. You can probably get a 2 touch (AF-S D) for that kind of money, its the better lens.

I have the one touch 80-200 AF-D which I use on my D810. Focus in live view is slow but reasonably accurate. The newer 70-200's are certainly faster to focus and sharper at 200mm but I have to admit that I find the 80-200 quite a bit better at 80-135mm vs the VRII. There is obviously a substantial difference in price too, as the older AF-D lens should be available around the £250-350 mark used.

The AF-S version is less desirable as the AF motor is no longer available so if it fails, the lens becomes manual focus only.

Ok, thank you everyone!
Are all the two touch 80-200's AF-D?
@GreenNinja67 I would like a 70-200, but they cost 3 or 4x the cost of an 80-200 (and I do like the images I've seen of the 80-200!)

To be honest if you need fast auto focus in live view you need to go mirrorless.

It doesn't need to be super fast, just reasonable and reasonably accurate.
At the moment, cost would stop me from moving to a mirrorless Nikon set up (and that they're fairly new in the Nikon line up) so i think it will be a few years until I am able to afford a mirrorless!

Ah, the old pellical mirror.

Getting harder to find nowadays.

Id be surprised if we see another A mount from Sony but the A68/77ii/99ii are still available new. Used market isn't to bad, some real bargains around on older models and lenses.

Just a thought for you as it may be £400 better spent, I posted this in the Olympus forum, its an amazing deal in my opinion...

https://www.castlecameras.co.uk/oly...th-14-42mm-ez-and-40-150mm-lenses-black/p4742

Equivalent focal lengths of the lenses are 28-84mm and 80-300mm. You'll get super fast AF in live view, excellent image quality in stills and video, 5 axis image stabilisation built into the camera body and a much smaller lighter setup you can control from your phone.

Just a thought for you as it may be £400 better spent, I posted this in the Olympus forum, its an amazing deal in my opinion...

https://www.castlecameras.co.uk/oly...th-14-42mm-ez-and-40-150mm-lenses-black/p4742

Equivalent focal lengths of the lenses are 28-84mm and 80-300mm. You'll get super fast AF in live view, excellent image quality in stills and video, 5 axis image stabilisation built into the camera body and a much smaller lighter setup you can control from your phone.

Ah, I do appreciate the thought!
But, I am lucky to have a sister who does photography, and this means that I can borrow her decent selection of nikon lenses. So, at the moment I'm sticking with Nikon. The autofocus speed isn't a deal breaker, I just wanted to make sure that an older lens would be able to be focused at a decent speed through live view.

The main difference in lenses af-s and af-d is which af motor the lens uses. Af-d are older and use the built in af motor in the camera body, slower af than af-s but it’s reasonable. The second AF-S lenses have their own af motor but as mentioned above the 80-200 afs is getting on a bit and cannot be repaired- we’re beginning to see a number come up as manual focus only.

there are 2 one touch af-d 80-200 and 1 two touch af-d 80-200. And one AF-S 80-200.
For your application I’d recommend the two touch 80-200 afd.
It’s the fastest focusing of the afd series 80-200.
I own a one touch and a two touch - my favorite lenses from Nikon, superb image quality and more than usable on the 810.
I would recommend against the 1 touch 80-200 as it is a push pull lens, if the lens has some wear the zoom will creep if not kept horizontal. As you mentioned the camera is mounted that could be an issue.
Plenty of 80-200 two touch af-d lenses about.

The main difference in lenses af-s and af-d is which af motor the lens uses. Af-d are older and use the built in af motor in the camera body, slower af than af-s but it’s reasonable. The second AF-S lenses have their own af motor but as mentioned above the 80-200 afs is getting on a bit and cannot be repaired- we’re beginning to see a number come up as manual focus only.

there are 2 one touch af-d 80-200 and 1 two touch af-d 80-200. And one AF-S 80-200.
For your application I’d recommend the two touch 80-200 afd.
It’s the fastest focusing of the afd series 80-200.
I own a one touch and a two touch - my favorite lenses from Nikon, superb image quality and more than usable on the 810.
I would recommend against the 1 touch 80-200 as it is a push pull lens, if the lens has some wear the zoom will creep if not kept horizontal. As you mentioned the camera is mounted that could be an issue.
Plenty of 80-200 two touch af-d lenses about.

Thanks @toohuge was good to read the differences!
I'm struggling to find the 80-200 two touch for some reason, I looked on mpb and can't seem to find that exact version, all the ones I see are AF-S. Am I just failing to see the right version?
On another site I managed to find the 80-200mm f/2.8D one touch version, but can't find the two touch! What am I doing wrong!

I'm struggling to find the 80-200 two touch for some reason, I looked on mpb and can't seem to find that exact version, all the ones I see are AF-S. Am I just failing to see the right version?
On another site I managed to find the 80-200mm f/2.8D one touch version, but can't find the two touch! What am I doing wrong!

MPB don't have any two touch in stock.
There aren't many around other than on eBay (though you can still buy them new).
Don't discount the one touch, yes the zoom may get a bit slack but the image quality is generally superb.

They come up from time to time - however there’s a reason why they sell quickly ;)
Check wex as well - very reputable and a longer warranty

MPB don't have any two touch in stock.
There aren't many around other than on eBay (though you can still buy them new).
Don't discount the one touch, yes the zoom may get a bit slack but the image quality is generally superb.

Agreed the image quality is brilliant.
I was worried that as the op is using this on what I can assume is a tripod / stand the zoom may creep when it’s not horizontal and, the 2 touch has the tripod mount too

Agreed the image quality is brilliant.
I was worried that as the op is using this on what I can assume is a tripod / stand the zoom may creep when it’s not horizontal and, the 2 touch has the tripod mount too
How easy does the creep occur? By that, I mean, is a relatively small angle downwards likely to cause it?
I will definitely keep trying to source the two touch, as I think it'll be the last lens I need for the foreseeable (famous last words, right?)

How easy does the creep occur? By that, I mean, is a relatively small angle downwards likely to cause it?
I will definitely keep trying to source the two touch, as I think it'll be the last lens I need for the foreseeable (famous last words, right?)
Simply gravity but it depends on the lens itself. My copy is pretty loose as it’s been used a lot ...
However if you’re mounting the camera id look for the two touch version with the integrated tripod mount - they are heavy lenses and it’s not worth the strain on the mount nor having the camera unbalanced on your tripod

My one touch version will only creep if the zoom is somewhere between 80 and 200. Even then, the angle down or up required to get it to creep is pretty steep. At either end it doesn’t move unless I’m walking and it’s moving around at my side.

AF wise in liveview, I don’t think you’ll see much of a difference between the versions. I tested a current AF-S 70-200 f2.8 VR II and that is equally slow using liveview. Using the viewfinder with phase detect AF is a whole different story.

I've managed to source an 80-200 in Excellent condition from misfuds!
It arrives next week, so I will take lots of photos of it and with it to make sure it is ok!

Is there anything I should look out for as issues in particular with this lens?

Which version do you have?

cant think of any horror stories. On the two touch version there’s the fragile af/m selector, apart from that no issues I can think off.
Both of mine have been serviced as the af was dragging a bit and my two touch is loose at the end as the screws have come loose, again.

That said, my two touch got hammered this summer - it shot over 100k frames in 7 weeks and got beat up pretty bad. They’re tough pro lenses

Which version do you have?

cant think of any horror stories. On the two touch version there’s the fragile af/m selector, apart from that no issues I can think off.
Both of mine have been serviced as the af was dragging a bit and my two touch is loose at the end as the screws have come loose, again.

That said, my two touch got hammered this summer - it shot over 100k frames in 7 weeks and got beat up pretty bad. They’re tough pro lenses

Silly me! It's the Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8 AF-Dn ED Telephoto Zoom Lens two touch version

Will I likely be able to see any issues when looking through the lens or taking pictures?

Silly me! It's the Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8 AF-Dn ED Telephoto Zoom Lens two touch version

Will I likely be able to see any issues when looking through the lens or taking pictures?
Ok great - you should be good. If it’s not all wobbly then it’s not falling apart!

the af/m ring can be fragile but you’ll know if it’s not working. But you’ve purchased from a well known used dealer in excellent condition so get out shooting! It really does deliver excellent images

About the only semi normal issue you may see is missed focus when using the phase detect AF focusing on things closer than ~1.5m. There is a little tid bit in most nikon camera manuals detailing the focus accuracy issues. Focus in live view is unaffected by this bug and should work as expected.

Beyond that, the iris should be completely closed and the aperture ring locked to f22 for normal operation. If it's not, you will see f/EE on the camera when you try to use it.

I'm excited!
Thank you everyone for the help here. It feels good to buy such a good lens that doesn't cost the earth!

Hey everyone,

So the lens came today!
The lens was well packed with foam peanuts and some bubble wrap. However the box looked fairly squished. I think the packaging meant the lens was ok (I will only get to try it out on my camera in a few days) but the end rubber part seems a bit squished and squarer than it should be. Should this be ok and will it just eventually go back to being round?
I've attached some photos, I'm excited to try it out though!

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2019-11-18 at 15.49.02(1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2019-11-18 at 15.49.02(1).jpeg
    106.1 KB · Views: 12
  • WhatsApp Image 2019-11-18 at 15.49.03(1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2019-11-18 at 15.49.03(1).jpeg
    74.2 KB · Views: 12
  • WhatsApp Image 2019-11-18 at 15.49.03.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2019-11-18 at 15.49.03.jpeg
    111.1 KB · Views: 12
That's only a lens hood. It should come with a metal Nikon one as standard (mine did).

My worry would be possible fungus behind the front element.

I hope it's not the case but from that photo either the front element needs a good clean or their may be problems.

Hopefully it's just the angle the photo was taken from.

Last edited:
I'll try and take a better photo! The listing did state fungus free though, so hopefully just some dust. What is the best way to try and capture an image of this?

Edit: on the advert it does say comes with caps and rubber lens hood, so that bit is cleared up at least! (although the lens hood isn't on the photos in the advert)

Last edited:
That's fairly normal of collapsible rubber hoods. The standard hood is an optional accessory. (HB-7) Can be seen in this pic of my 80-200.

Dust behind the front element group is pretty common as it can find it's way in around the collar which holds the group in the lens body. With a filter fitted, the lens is decently protected from dust getting in. It can still get in around the controls and rings but less so. You could shine a torch through it but be advised that it can make even a lens that looked clean as a whistle look filthy.

I've taken a few photos of the lens now!

Does it look ok fungus wise? Looking through it, it looks clean, but the photo shows some marks that might be dust?
The first one is with a flash.

Attachments

• 20191119_135550.jpg
    20191119_135550.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 20191119_135605.jpg
    20191119_135605.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 20191119_135641.jpg
    20191119_135641.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 7
and another picture!

Attachments

• 20191119_135650.jpg
    20191119_135650.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 5
Nothing obviously an issue there. It looks reasonably clean with a few specks of dust, certainly a bit better than my 80-200 which was chock full of dust. (so bad I took it apart and cleaned it)

Test it out and see how it performs.

Hi everyone
I tried it out today. Initially I got an fEE error. I googled a bit and it said to set the aperture on the lens to f22 which I've done. The error has gone, but, I can't change the aperture with my camera (Nikon d810), do I need to do something with the camera settings or something else with the lens to control the aperture with the camera?

Try using it in Aperture Priority Mode and changing the aperture with the command wheel. :)

Try using it in Aperture Priority Mode and changing the aperture with the command wheel. :)
I did try that! It didn't alter it though. I can try again though. Are there any other settings I might need to change?

Is the lens set to Auto - 'A'?

Ignore that ... brain freeze.
Try setting the body to Manual and try the aperture command dial, see if that alters the aperture setting.

Last edited:
Set the lens to f22 and lock it - there's a small tab.

Check in the menu's of the D810, there is a setting that allows you to use the manual aperture ring or not.

If that is enabled you wont be able to change it.

Also, did you mount the lens with the aperture set to f22 or mount the lens then change the aperture? If so, re-mount the lens with the aperture set to f22 and you should be good to go.

I mounted the lens set at f22.
I'm trying to find where I can alter the right setting. I have attached two pictures. Is this the right area? It won't let me change the apeture lock setting though.
Or am I in the wrong area!

Attachments

• IMG-20191124-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20191124-WA0005.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG-20191124-WA0006.jpg
    IMG-20191124-WA0006.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 6
Never had to fiddle in there with any of my camera bodies and 80-200.
Lock the aperture ring on the lens to f22 (max) fit it and go ... can't understand why yours isn't working.

Back