Nikon 85mm prime - f/1.8 vs f/1.4

Hacker

TPer Emeritus
Name
Colin
Edit My Images
Yes
I am seriously considering one of these, obviously the 1.4 is top of the list but at almost three times the price.....:eek: It will mostly be for weddings (inside poorly lit churches etc) and portraits. I have the 50mm f/1.4 but sometimes need more reach, obviously as a prime it will need to be super sharp like the nifty fifty and most reviews seem to bear this out for both versions but I have seen some adverse comments on the quality of bokeh on the f/1.8.

Any users of either on here?

I have the 1.8.
For reference I also have the 50mm F/1.4

Build is similar on them both, which is nice. AF is internal, which is also nice (but it's not the fastest thing in the world to focus).

I find it plenty sharp, but the bokeh can be a bit odd. This lens with the 50mm F/1.4 is a lovely events combo, though. It's also a nice length & plenty sharp enough for using w/ 35mm if that takes your fancy.

Getting the 1.8 was a bit of a stretch for me, so the 1.4 was out of the question. Depending on how sharp the 1.4 is wide open (I don't know) I would seriously consider it over the 1.8, if I could afford it :)

I was asking the same question a while back and got quite a lot of feedback on a few forums..in the end I went for the 1.4 and have not regretted it.The 1.8 is also a cracking lens but several people that have owned both told me the 1.4 is in a different league.As for wide open sharpness have a look..
DSC_0002.jpg

851.jpg

a8-1.jpg

If it's just for the low light I wouldn't recommend the 1.4 (the minor difference in speed wouldn't be worth the money), but for every other reason I highly recommend the f1.4. Bokeh is superb, build excellent, very sharp, and the pictures have a WOW factor that I only really see with the 70-200. A really great lens.

2/3rds of a stop is really expensive at this level - so bokeh aside - will the couple actually notice you've spent £500 more than necessary to get a good shot? Ask your client WTF is 'bokeh'?

Your own professional/artistic integrity aside - isn't it true that some of your 'best' photos are NOT the ones the client buys?

Leica (30 yrs ago) had a 50mm f1.0 lens (!!!!) for a £zillion-quid (relatively) but did the client care a toss? No

A 30mm f1.8 is just as good really as an 85mm f1.4 with a crop factor as if it's a nice shot - the client doesn't give a frigg about noise etc. And, is it likely that this shot will be an A3 plus size? NO chance - it's an in church mini-shot to help the story along

If YOU want to spend loads on gear that's fine - does your client notice/care - NO

Will you get referrals & more business on the back of it - No - if you are a nice chap/ess will you - Yes

Being nicer to deal with, or offering better service than your competitors is what matters most

Does your client care? I would argue, yes, they do. They don't care about the lens, they don't care about the better light gathering, but they absolutely notice the quality of the shot.

Does your client care? I would argue, yes, they do. They don't care about the lens, they don't care about the better light gathering, but they absolutely notice the quality of the shot.

Have to agree with this statement..

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply, Dave I appreciate the effort you've put into your response but I cannot say agree with all of it.....

2/3rds of a stop is really expensive at this level - so bokeh aside - will the couple actually notice you've spent £500 more than necessary to get a good shot? Ask your client WTF is 'bokeh'?

I am well aware that 2/3rds of a stop is expensive but I try and maintain very high quality control and if shooting in low light inside a church noise can be a factor and is noticable.They might not know what bokeh is but it can make a difference between an okay shoot and a good shot.

A 30mm f1.8 is just as good really as an 85mm f1.4 with a crop factor as if it's a nice shot - the client doesn't give a frigg about noise etc. And, is it likely that this shot will be an A3 plus size? NO chance - it's an in church mini-shot to help the story along

I must admit I don't follow the comparison here, two totally different lenses with varied characteristics and uses. With regard to noise if you are a Nikon user it is something you have to be aware of as it is more pronounced although hopefully the new models will go some way to rectifying this. I cannot say for certain what shots the client will choose and some have chosen the church shots to be enlarged, I need to be prepared for every eventuality and cannot dismiss a shot or lower my standards because I don't think the shot is impotant enough to warrant enlargement.

Will you get referrals & more business on the back of it - No - if you are a nice chap/ess will you - Yes

Being nicer to deal with, or offering better service than your competitors is what matters most

I agree 100%, people buy into people but it must be backed up by a decent and consistent standard of work which sometimes can only be achieved by investing in the proper kit, otherwise we would all be running around with Kodak Instamatics. I get the gist of what you are saying Dave and as I stated earlier I appreciate it but for me image quality is everything, particularly where clients are involved.

I think you've talked yourself into the 1.4 Hacker! I have the 85mm 1.8 and am delighted with it - use it a lot.

The 85/1.4 is really very good.

Another lens you might not have considered that's probably on a par with it is the 105/2 DC, which can be had used for about £100 less. You lose a stop obviously, but it's also deadly sharp wide open, and it has the DC feature which you can use to exaggerate the out of focus areas for romantic effects.

Okay the 30mm reference wasn't that clear in retrospect, so I'll try to explain my thoughts here

An 85mm lens is more likely to suffer camera shake than a 30mm one at a low-ish shutter speed, hence it needs to be faster to ensure the same level of sharpness and lack of motion. In this respect, a 30mm f1.8 is more likely to render a sharper image at a low shutter speed, i.e. 1/30th than an 85mm f1.4 one would, bearing in mind the inverse rule-of-thumb on focal length & shutter speeds dictating a 1/85th sec ideal min shutter speed for the 85mm

In practise then, the 2/3rd stop difference is less than the difference from 1/30th to 1/85th; meaning that if the shot has to be taken at 1/30th you stand more chance using the 30mm than the 85mm of getting it sharp

Now consider the actual image taken. In almost any album these days the largest photo is likely to be less than A3, and probably nearer A4 in size. On a 10mp camera or above, that's about native resolution size at 300dpi, so no enlargement is made at all. Most inner church shots are also unlikely to be used this big, so in making them smaller we're throwing away some of those expensive pixels anyway. With modern pro-end cameras a 1/4 of the image size will still produce a very good A4 print and years ago a pro showed me a 20x16 he'd made from a 3p camera and it was easily acceptable

In reality then, we can crop into a 10+mp image a long way, meaning we can effectively get a wider lens to produce an image in much the same way as a longer focal length does - especially where it's a smaller than A4 use too. Of course we don't do that if we can help it, but at lower shutter speeds it's 'safer' to use a wider lens to ensure no camera shake and crop it, than to risk a slightly blurred shot that needs no cropping

Also, a wider lens cropped at f1.8 will give more depth of field than a longer lens at f1.4, so if you want the couple both to be as sharp as possible (assuming they aren't always on the same plain), a wider lens cropped will give the more usable image

My final point then is really that although the Nikon f1.8 isn't as good as the f1.4 version, it's still a very good lens indeed. I really doubt if any client, and even most togs, would ever look at an image and think 'he should have used the f1.4 instead'

That said, if you think you need an 85mm lens and have the extra dosh burning a hole, then buy the f1.4

Ken Rockwell has an interesting point here too, the 70-200 f2.8 VR is obviously an 85mm too, and as the VR bit can save 2 stops of camera shake, you're about there with it anyway but benefiting from the greater DoF at the same time. Now if the f1.4 was also a VR!!!

You may not agree with the above, but at least I hope what I meant is clearer now?

Can't fault your well reasoned and explained arguement! :D Good point about the 70-200mm VR which I already use and had taken into consideration but slight movement on slow shutter speeds can ruin a shot.

Thanks for the input and giving me more to think about. :bang:

Get the 1.8,try it if it isn't what you want sell it and get the 1.4...by the way the 1.4 will be much better at 2.8 than the 70-200mm at 85mm and 2.8. as the zoom will be wide open although as mentioned you would have vr.

Leica (30 yrs ago) had a 50mm f1.0 lens (!!!!) for a £zillion-quid

The Nocilux is an amazing lens. I had the good fortune to borrow one for a week and was stunned by the results.

I was never able to try out the Canon f0.95 50mm lens though. Any body care to lend me one for aweek or so?

Back