Nikon Advice...D5600, D7500, D750 or D500?

I can see the big mistake you're making there. ;)

Don't worry; I got wind of Mr Rockwell some years ago. He's always good for a bit of entertainment. Speshly whilst there's no footy on... ;)

I recently sold my D7200, mint condition, boxed with everything, 17k actuation. I got £400 for it, which I thought was a bargain for the guy who bought it. I upgraded to a D500 and can use all the same lenses I already own. Its a great step-up and cost £899 from Eninfity as a grey import. I would go for the D500 all day long if you can stretch your budget. Lenses 2nd hand can save you a fortune.

I can't thank everyone enough for the very helpful advice, it's always best listening to folk who use or have used the gear for more than just an online review.
Anyway, I've narrowed it down, I think. I'm not sure I'll have the pennies for the D500 if I decided on DX, I've got this terrible feeling I'll be sat here which a fantastic
camera but with no money for lenses:giggle: filters, a bag and all the bits we end up needing/wanting. The only piece of equipment I kept from my last outfit is a Manfrotto,
and our lass now has her spotting scope attached to that...

The past couple of days I've been looking at two cameras that were mentioned but not on my list, the D610, new, or a secondhand D7200. For a little over a grand,
I can get the body, grip and a nikkor 300 mm F4 in Wex...But as you can see, I still haven't/can't decided between FX or DX, although I can hear the D610 singing
in my ears. I can see the DX having the advantages of extra reach and the focusing sensors covering more of the view finder, but under general use, I'm trying to
think how often would I benefit from those advantages! I' m going to say, that FX wins, I think :giggle:

Don't worry; I got wind of Mr Rockwell some years ago. He's always good for a bit of entertainment. Speshly whilst there's no footy on... ;)

I don't know if it's just me. I do like reading his reviews, I just don't like his images, the fake colours and if I can say, the overly sharp pixels that look as though the image is breaking up.

Last edited:
The past couple of days I've been looking at two cameras that were mentioned but not on my list, the D610, new, or a secondhand D7200. For a little over a grand,
I can get the body, grip and a nikkor 300 mm F4 in Wex...But as you can see, I still haven't/can't decided between FX or DX, although I can hear the D610 singing
in my ears. I can see the DX having the advantages of extra reach and the focusing sensors covering more of the view finder, but under general use, I'm trying to
think how often would I benefit from those advantages! I' m going to say, that FX wins, I think :giggle:
I'm happy that you have chosen what you want and have found the thread helpful. :) Hope you are happy with whatever you get. As I said previously though, try and handle the camera before shelling out. It will not be a trivial amount you are spending, and having to put up with something that may not comfortable just because it cost a lot may not encourage use it. Just my opinion. :)

With regard to how often the extra reach and spread of the AF points may be beneficial, the former maybe not that much, the latter probably more so imho. Even in general day to day photography a subject may not be centrally situated in the viewfinder and covered by the AF points in a FF camera, and it can aid and speed up composition options by moving the focus point(s) rather than focus and composing in a DX camera. Plenty been using FF for decades though with similar limitations. ;)

I don't know if it's just me. I do like reading his reviews, I just don't like his images, the fake colours and if I can say, the overly sharp pixels. Have I said that right?
I'd use his images in a court of law to prove that digital should never have been allowed to replace film:giggle:
I can't say I have seen his images. As soon as it was pointed out that he says that he writes for entertainment and could change what he writes because of that, whatever he writes can't be taken seriously imho. And the thing is, the statement about why and what he writes is not, or it wasn't, front and centre on the home page. Leading some poeople taking some of his entertaining statements as fact. :thinking:

He occasionally pops up in threads when he has made a 'controversial' statement that spreads, which leads to traffic to his site. He is very successful in what he does, and seemed to make a very good living the last time I visited his site many years ago.

As I said previously though, try and handle the camera before shelling out. :)

This is a problem I'm facing being on lock down for three months. I've been after another camera for a few years and had planned to buy one later this week.
It's my birthday and I get my pension, not that it's worth much! But it would have give me something to do for the next three months.

While I remember, you'll like this:giggle:

One Christmas a couple of years back we're at my folks. After dinner it's pressie opening, and my folks gave me quite a heavy bag, one of the Christmas shopping size
paper ones. Inside was two presents, I reached in for the smaller one first, opened it to find a battery charger for a DSLR camera. I can't tell you how excited I got.
I went in for the second pressie thinking they've had a chat with our lass on the side, and she's told them I've been after a camera. I opened the second box, and what
did I find. A one litre jar of Coconut oil! My mum, God bless her, had been on Amazon, found someone of the same name and thought that was my wish list...Still, it came
in handy for cooking:giggle:

One Christmas a couple of years back we're at my folks. After dinner it's pressie opening, and my folks gave me quite a heavy bag, one of the Christmas shopping size
paper ones. Inside was two presents, I reached in for the smaller one first, opened it to find a battery charger for a DSLR camera. I can't tell you how excited I got.
I went in for the second pressie thinking they've had a chat with our lass on the side, and she's told them I've been after a camera. I opened the second box, and what
did I find. A one litre jar of Coconut oil! My mum, God bless her, had been on Amazon, found someone of the same name and thought that was my wish list...Still, it came
:LOL:

This is a problem I'm facing being on lock down for three months. I've been after another camera for a few years and had planned to buy one later this week.
It's my birthday and I get my pension, not that it's worth much! But it would have give me something to do for the next three months.

TBH I would choose a used D750 over a new D610. It's not that the D610 isn't a good camera, it is, it's just that the D750 is a bit better in a lot of areas making it overall a noticeable upgrade. The grip on the D750 is much improved too making it nicer (imo) to hold.

TBH I would choose a used D750 over a new D610. It's not that the D610 isn't a good camera, it is, it's just that the D750 is a bit better in a lot of areas making it overall a noticeable upgrade. The grip on the D750 is much improved too making it nicer (imo) to hold.

After all I've said regarding the D600/610, I'd echo that, unless you can get a new D610 really cheap. But then; I wouldn't pay too much for a D750, seeing as it's now a 5 year old camera. Which doesn't mean it's 'crap' ( ;) ), just that something like the Z6 will be a noticeable step up from that. Either way; a FX cam over a DX is definitely the way to go for all round use, imo.

Last edited:

To me, biggest advantage of the D750 body design is the flip-out rear screen - so much nicer than having to grovel in the dirt for a low-angled shot.

Stop it, you've got me all going again:ROFLMAO: I hear what you're all saying, but looking at some of the prices I'd be a little loathed to pay that for a second hand camera.
I've had a look on Gumtree, granted, it may not be the best place, but out of five cameras, two have had the shutter replaced. Is this normal for this model or is it digital cameras
in general? London Camera Exchange have one in with a shutter count of 876 for £750.00 which doesn't seem too bad, but then it's not a huge saving from buying new on import
prices.

To me, biggest advantage of the D750 body design is the flip-out rear screen - so much nicer than having to grovel in the dirt for a low-angled shot.
Forgot the D610 doesn’t have a tilt screen, tilt screens are a major plus for landscape photography (amongst other genres) imo.
Stop it, you've got me all going again:ROFLMAO: I hear what you're all saying, but looking at some of the prices I'd be a little loathed to pay that for a second hand camera.
I've had a look on Gumtree, granted, it may not be the best place, but out of five cameras, two have had the shutter replaced. Is this normal for this model or is it digital cameras
in general? London Camera Exchange have one in with a shutter count of 876 for £750.00 which doesn't seem too bad, but then it's not a huge saving from buying new on import
prices.
I try to buy most of my stuff used these days as it saves you a packet, and you tend to lose less if/when you sell it on. I only tend to buy “as new” though as I like my gear spotless ;) There’s plenty of reputable stores selling used, and you get 6-12 months warranty depending on where you get it from. Shops I’ve bought from and would recommend are:-

Harrison Cameras
Wex
MPB
Park Cameras
Camera Jungle
London Camera Exchange
Castle Cameras
Clifton Cameras
SRS Microsystems

There are others too but I’ve not used them.

Last edited:
prices.

Nikon did a sensor clean/shutter replacement service FoC, for any D600 owners. This was because SOME D600s had an issue with oil getting onto the sensor glass. I never bothered cos mine was fine. The D610 was introduced with an 'improved' shutter mechanism that apparently eliminated this. D600s with new shutters probably have this new mechanism installed. Either way, it's really not something to worry about.

£750 is way too high, no matter how low the shutter count. D600s are going for around £400 for a good one, D610s perhaps a £100 or so more. D750s, around £7-800. You can get a new D610 from E-infinity etc for less than £650. Prices are dropping cos it's a discontinued model now.

Forgot the D610 doesn’t have a tilt screen, tilt screens are a major plus for landscape photography (amongst other genres) imo.

This is a very good point. I didn't realise just how useful the tilt screen on my Z6 would turn out to be, until I needed such a feature.

Bottom line: s/h D600/610 = more budget for lenses. S/h D750 = a 'better' cam, overall. New anything = full warranty etc. But in the long run, any cam will enable your to take great pics; the only limiting factor is your own talent.

I try to buy most of my stuff used these days as it saves you a packet, and you tend to lose less if/when you sell it on. I only tend to buy “as new” though as I like my gear spotless ;) There’s plenty of reputable stores selling used, and you get 6-12 months warranty depending on where you get it from. Shops I’ve bought from and would recommend are:-

Harrison Cameras
Wex
MPB
Park Cameras
Camera Jungle
London Camera Exchange
Castle Cameras
Clifton Cameras
SRS Microsystems

There are others too but I’ve not used them.

Much appreciated snerkler, and apologies for late reply, our lass had it away with the laptop this morning! Some of the prices on MPB are barmy, over a grand for used D750.
I think at the moment I'm still edging towards a new D610 or used D7200..

Prices of used Nikon bodies seem to have increased recently, with a used D750 in reasonable condition going for about £700 (try Ffordes or Park) now and a new one £889 on e-infinity. Last year it was around £600 used and £750 new IIRC.

Nikon did a sensor clean/shutter replacement service FoC, for any D600 owners. This was because SOME D600s had an issue with oil getting onto the sensor glass. I never bothered cos mine was fine. The D610 was introduced with an 'improved' shutter mechanism that apparently eliminated this. D600s with new shutters probably have this new mechanism installed. Either way, it's really not something to worry about.

£750 is way too high, no matter how low the shutter count. D600s are going for around £400 for a good one, D610s perhaps a £100 or so more. D750s, around £7-800. You can get a new D610 from E-infinity etc for less than £650. Prices are dropping cos it's a discontinued model now.

This is a very good point. I didn't realise just how useful the tilt screen on my Z6 would turn out to be, until I needed such a feature.

Bottom line: s/h D600/610 = more budget for lenses. S/h D750 = a 'better' cam, overall. New anything = full warranty etc. But in the long run, any cam will enable your to take great pics; the only limiting factor is your own talent.

Doesn't matter how many times it's been mentioned, I kept forgetting about the tilting screen. Not a priority, but handy to have. But I'm having problems paying £750-£800 for a used camera,
I think that means a new D610 for £670.00 is more likely, may be :giggle:

Doesn't matter how many times it's been mentioned, I kept forgetting about the tilting screen. Not a priority, but handy to have. But I'm having problems paying £750-£800 for a used camera,

Used D750 for £699?
https://www.parkcameras.com/p/SH-48-7157/used-nikon-digital-slr-cameras/nikon/used-nikon-d750-body
https://www.parkcameras.com/p/SH-84-0406/used-nikon-digital-slr-cameras/nikon/used-nikon-d750-body
https://www.parkcameras.com/p/SH-87-1765/used-nikon-digital-slr-cameras/nikon/used-nikon-d750-body £749

Last edited:
I'm not sure if you can access the forum classifieds yet but there's a fairly low shutter count (12K) D750 listed in there for £650.

It's neither mine nor anyone I know, just thought I let you know.

I’m assuming that’s grey for £670 as the D610 is still over £1k UK.

Obviously you need to do what’s right for you but if you’re in it for the long haul I’d still recommend stumping up the extra £200 for the D750, you get a lot for the extra £200:-

Better ISO range (12800 vs 6400)
Better metering (91,000 pixel RGB vs 2,016 pixel RGB)
Better low light shooting -3ev vs -1ev)
Tilt screen
Better LCD (1.2m dots vs 921k dots)
Better AF system ( 51 point with 15 cross type vs 39 point with 9 cross type)
Better grip
Wifi
Better processor.

Obviously you need to do what’s right for you but if you’re in it for the long haul I’d still recommend stumping up the extra £200 for the D750, you get a lot for the extra £200:-

Tilt screen
Better grip
Wifi
Better processor.

Absolutely this. Very much worth having a slightly used D750 over a new D610 for the extra features.

Tilt screen
Better grip
Wifi
Better processor.

Definitely the long haul, and the D610 is probably an import at the price. UK seller with 2 year warranty. I can't disagree with any of your comments, I'd rather pay a grand on a new
one than £700-£800 on used. Just not sure I can stretch to a grand for body only. The used prices are too high, but a grand for a new one seems quite good compared to the D780
which if I'm right in believing, is it's replacement?

Specs are touted to sell cameras, but I think it helps to see what makes any practical difference, and what doesn’t, though.

Better ISO range (12800 vs 6400) 1 stop. Useful if you shoot a lot in low light situations.
Better metering (91,000 pixel RGB vs 2,016 pixel RGB) In camera light meters were pretty much sorted 20, 30 years ago. So thousands of pixels, so what. Its knowing how to actually use a lightmeter, that really counts.
Better low light shooting -3ev vs -1ev) That relates to the AF sensitivity. Yes, it’s an improvement, but only really if you work a lot in low light.
Tilt screen You don’t know how useful this is, until you have it.
Better LCD (1.2m dots vs 921k dots) Meh. Again; so what. If you want to look at stuff on a screen, do it when you’re editing.
Better AF system ( 51 point with 15 cross type vs 39 point with 9 cross type) An improvement. I didn’t notice it all that much, I have to say. But an improvement, granted.
Better grip Can’t say I noticed. They all look and feel very similar, they have similar controls.
Wifi Woop de do. You can get a WiFi adapter for the D600/610 if you really want to. I did; I’ve seldom used it. Very limited actual use. My Z6 has a newer, better system, but again, I just don’t use it. Pft.
Better processor. Yawn...

Sorry, but just putting it out there. So what really makes a difference? The better AF performance, the slightly improved low light performance (the D600/610 are already very good in this respect anyway), a tilting screen. All the other stuff you won’t notice really. I’d still go for the D750 over the older cameras, mind. Well, actually I’d go for the Z6, cos it’s that much better than a D750 but that’s by the by. You wont go ‘wrong’ with a D610. End of.

Specs are touted to sell cameras, but I think it helps to see what makes any practical difference, and what doesn’t, though.

Better ISO range (12800 vs 6400) 1 stop. Useful if you shoot a lot in low light situations.
Better metering (91,000 pixel RGB vs 2,016 pixel RGB) In camera light meters were pretty much sorted 20, 30 years ago. So thousands of pixels, so what. Its knowing how to actually use a lightmeter, that really counts.
Better low light shooting -3ev vs -1ev) That relates to the AF sensitivity. Yes, it’s an improvement, but only really if you work a lot in low light.
Tilt screen You don’t know how useful this is, until you have it.
Better LCD (1.2m dots vs 921k dots) Meh. Again; so what. If you want to look at stuff on a screen, do it when you’re editing.
Better AF system ( 51 point with 15 cross type vs 39 point with 9 cross type) An improvement. I didn’t notice it all that much, I have to say. But an improvement, granted.
Better grip Can’t say I noticed. They all look and feel very similar, they have similar controls.
Wifi Woop de do. You can get a WiFi adapter for the D600/610 if you really want to. I did; I’ve seldom used it. Very limited actual use. My Z6 has a newer, better system, but again, I just don’t use it. Pft.
Better processor. Yawn...

Sorry, but just putting it out there. So what really makes a difference? The better AF performance, the slightly improved low light performance (the D600/610 are already very good in this respect anyway), a tilting screen. All the other stuff you won’t notice really. I’d still go for the D750 over the older cameras, mind. Well, actually I’d go for the Z6, cos it’s that much better than a D750 but that’s by the by. You wont go ‘wrong’ with a D610. End of.
There's far more to the metering system than it being a light meter. But I think you missed the point, no-one here is saying that the D610 is a bad camera, but for £200 the D750 is that much better. IMO the AF system is quite a step up, wider AF coverage, faster, more reliable (from my experience), and the low light shooting not only makes it better in low light, but also in light that's not perfect. As for the grip, not sure how you didn't notice that tbh, quite a difference. As for your comment about wifi, that means spending more money on the D610 narrowing the price even more. I'm not even going to comment on the processor.

Last edited:
Err there's far more to the metering system than it being a light meter. But I think you missed the point, no-one here is saying that the D610 is a bad camera, but for £200 the D750 is that much better. IMO the AF system is quite a step up, wider AF coverage, faster, more reliable (from my experience), and the low light shooting not only makes it better in low light, but also in light that's not perfect. As for the grip, not sure how you didn't notice that tbh, quite a difference. As for your comment about wifi, that means spending more money on the D610 narrowing the price even more. I'm not even going to comment on the processor.

For a £200 difference in price buying the D750 is a no-brainer. It's an all-round better instrument.

For a £200 difference in price buying the D750 is a no-brainer. It's an all-round better instrument.
Absolutely, in the UK the D750 is actually cheaper too :eek:

From camerapricebuster
Screenshot 2020-04-01 at 08.18.24.png

Definitely the long haul, and the D610 is probably an import at the price. UK seller with 2 year warranty. I can't disagree with any of your comments, I'd rather pay a grand on a new
one than £700-£800 on used. Just not sure I can stretch to a grand for body only. The used prices are too high, but a grand for a new one seems quite good compared to the D780
which if I'm right in believing, is it's replacement?
Definitely grey, as above the cheapest UK price is £1199 at the mo for the D610 (y)

Grey the D610 is £638 vs £889 for the D750 on e-infinty. Even at £250 difference the D750 is well worth the extra imo.

There's far more to the metering system than it being a light meter. But I think you missed the point, no-one here is saying that the D610 is a bad camera, but for £200 the D750 is that much better. IMO the AF system is quite a step up, wider AF coverage, faster, more reliable (from my experience), and the low light shooting not only makes it better in low light, but also in light that's not perfect. As for the grip, not sure how you didn't notice that tbh, quite a difference. As for your comment about wifi, that means spending more money on the D610 narrowing the price even more. I'm not even going to comment on the processor.

I didn't miss the point at all. Just pointing out that some 'improvements' don't really add up to much in real world use. I think it's helpful to understand this. The OP is on a limited budget; a cheaper cam will allow for more money to be spent on lenses etc. A 'better' cam will perhaps give certain performance advantages. But to say 'oh it's only £200'; well, that's a lot of money for a lot of people. So maybe it's better to offer a range of options and point out facts, rather than to just keep saying 'spend more money'.

Given that; the OP mentioned a total budget of around £1500. Personally, I think the D750 + 24-120mm lens deal is fantastic.

Last edited:
Just seen the D750 at £1099 on Jessops

I don't know if this is grey import, but just found a company called Cotswold Cameras, D750 body, £999.00, or £1329.00 with the 24-120 lens.
£55.00 cheaper than NextDayCamera which no doubt does sell grey imports.

https://www.cotswoldcameras.co.uk/Nikon-D750-Digital-SLR-with-24-120mm-VR-Lens

Given that; the OP mentioned a total budget of around £1500. Personally, I think the D750 + 24-120mm lens deal is fantastic.

I think I was being a little optimistic at £1500.00, at a push I might be able to get there, but that has to include any extras, UV filter, memory card, bag etc.
If I can get that amount together, at Cotswold Camera prices, I'd have my basic kit:)

I'm beginning to think the best course of action would have been to look no further than the D5600 with twin lens kit for £652.00, and just be happy that I
have a camera:giggle:

https://www.nextdaycamera.co.uk/acatalog/Nikon-D5600-AF-P-18-55-VR---AF-P-70-300-VR.html

I didn't miss the point at all. Just pointing out that some 'improvements' don't really add up to much in real world use.
We'll agree to disagree on this (y)

The OP is on a limited budget; a cheaper cam will allow for more money to be spent on lenses etc. A 'better' cam will perhaps give certain performance advantages.
I normally agree and say lenses make more difference, but for the difference in price between the D610 and the D750 that is money well spent imo

But to say 'oh it's only £200';

Can you point out where I've said this please as I'll amend it if I have (y)

well, that's a lot of money for a lot of people.
It's a lot of money full stop (y)

So maybe it's better to offer a range of options and point out facts, rather than to just keep saying 'spend more money'.
Again, where have I done differently to this? I don't keep saying spend more money, if I did I'd have said go for the D500 (as that was one of the initial options) or recommended a Z6/7, or even a Sony A73/A7R3. IMO the D750 is better value for money at £889 than the D610 is at £639 (YMMV) and for someone on a budget value for money is important. I also think in buying the D750 you're less likely to want to upgrade in the future, or at least upgrade as early. The D750 is one of those cameras where it can do everything you throw at it, so unless there's a pressing need to swap it's a camera that could last you a lifetime.

IT's a very good combo for sure, I was always happy with it.

Last edited:
I did read through the thread yesterday, but I can't remember whether anyone mentioned size, weight and the much higher cost (and weight) of FX lenses. I use a D7200 for landscapes, and have exhibited prints at A3. It is a neat, reasonably compact package, and no bother to carry over large distances. It squeezes into my bag with a 17-55 f2. 8 and my F3. I have used a D810, and I find it an absolute lump. I recently did some photos for a restaurant using both cameras, and not one of the shots from the D810 made the final selection. I think you'll find that the only 'real world' advantage of the FX is in high ISO, though I suspect that I shall be the target of 'full frame opprobrium' for having said it!

I did read through the thread yesterday, but I can't remember whether anyone mentioned size, weight and the much higher cost (and weight) of FX lenses. I use a D7200 for landscapes, and have exhibited prints at A3. It is a neat, reasonably compact package, and no bother to carry over large distances. It squeezes into my bag with a 17-55 f2. 8 and my F3. I have used a D810, and I find it an absolute lump. I recently did some photos for a restaurant using both cameras, and not one of the shots from the D810 made the final selection. I think you'll find that the only 'real world' advantage of the FX is in high ISO, though I suspect that I shall be the target of 'full frame opprobrium' for having said it!
The gap is that much narrower these days, and until very recently I ran the m4/3 system alongside the FF system and even with that you were hard pressed to tell the difference in certain situations.

The D7200 and D7500 are excellent choices and as you rightly say DX lenses tend to be lighter and cheaper. Nikon’s range of DX lenses isn’t as extensive as FX though.

For what it’s worth when I had the D7200 I started to see a noticeable difference in noise compared to the D750 at around 800 iso, YMMV. Another reason I prefer FF is the more shallow DOF.

The D750‘s viewfinder is noticeably bigger and brighter which makes it nicer to use imo, and of course there’s the flippy screen.

But it’s horses for courses, all cameras mentioned in this thread are capable of great images. FF isn’t the holy grail though, it’s a matter buying the right tool for ‘you’ (y)

Last edited:
To the OP, just to add to that, the camera you choose should suit the things you plan to shoot. If smaller size, longer reach, greater depth of field of focus are going to be advantageous then a crop sensor camera is likely a better bet. If lower noise, more control over shallow depth of field, greater range of choice over wide angle lenses and you like a large, bright viewfinder then full frame is a better bet.

If budget is more constrained than you first thought but you still really want full frame, there's nothing wrong with picking up a used D600 for £350 or D610 for £400 or perhaps £450 (sold mine a year ago for £600 with a bunch of lenses). However as pointed out, the D750 is worth the extra investment, then add lenses gradually afterward.

To the OP, just to add to that, the camera you choose should suit the things you plan to shoot. If smaller size, longer reach, greater depth of field of focus are going to be advantageous then a crop sensor camera is likely a better bet. If lower noise, more control over shallow depth of field, greater range of choice over wide angle lenses and you like a large, bright viewfinder then full frame is a better bet.

If budget is more constrained than you first thought but you still really want full frame, there's nothing wrong with picking up a used D600 for £350 or D610 for £400 or perhaps £450 (sold mine a year ago for £600 with a bunch of lenses). However as pointed out, the D750 is worth the extra investment, then add lenses gradually afterward.

Appreciated Toni :) And it makes sense. I fully understand and appreciate the comments from AZ6 and snerkler. If I had a D610 I'd be a very happy man, and I'm sure it'll cover
all my needs. I've looked at quite a few images taken with a D610 and even on my old laptop they looked impressive. I can also see that if I compared both cameras I'd appreciate
the upgrades/advantages that the D750 offers. But, I'm not prepared to pay the second hand prices for a D750, it'd make more sense to buy a new one in my mind. If funds weren't
a problem, I'd have already ordered one based on the advice received...I'll know in a few days, and what ever I end up with will get me taking piccies again:)

Appreciated Toni :) And it makes sense. I fully understand and appreciate the comments from AZ6 and snerkler. If I had a D610 I'd be a very happy man, and I'm sure it'll cover
all my needs. I've looked at quite a few images taken with a D610 and even on my old laptop they looked impressive. I can also see that if I compared both cameras I'd appreciate
the upgrades/advantages that the D750 offers. But, I'm not prepared to pay the second hand prices for a D750, it'd make more sense to buy a new one in my mind. If funds weren't
a problem, I'd have already ordered one based on the advice received...I'll know in a few days, and what ever I end up with will get me taking piccies again:)
In terms of the final image/image quality there is negligible difference between the D610 and D750, they share the same sensor and whilst the processors are different the actual difference it makes to the sensor output is splitting hairs.

We'll agree to disagree on this

I don't remember agreeing to this... ;)

If I had a D610 I'd be a very happy man, and I'm sure it'll cover
the upgrades/advantages that the D750 offers.

When I bought my D600, the camera I had planned to buy was a D800/810. Which offered a lot more bells and whistles. But when I really thought about what I actually needed, rather than getting carried away by the marketing hype, it was clear that the D600 more than suited my needs. So I bought that. And saved a LOT of money. Which I then proceeded to spend on lenses, a flashgun and other useful stuff. Which aided my photography far, far more than more megapixels, faster AF or a faster processor ever could. This was a similar approach to the one I employed way back in my student days; Nikon F4, which would swallow up all my funds and leave me with nothing to buy any lenses, or a cheaper camera and a few lenses? I really don't think I suffered at all, by taking the latter approach. Quite the opposite in fact. Some here might think spending £200+ on a 'better' cam is the way forward, but if that £200+ can buy say a nice 85mm or 60mm macro lens, or a decent flashgun, or a decent tripod and camera bag, then maybe that becomes a greater consideration? I think a lot of people get carried away with specs. Learn how to work round your equipment's pros and cons, that's what will make you a better photographer.

I don't remember agreeing to this... ;)
:LOL:

I think a lot of people get carried away with specs. Learn how to work round your equipment's pros and cons, that's what will make you a better photographer.
They sure do, and manufacturers rely on this to sell the latest gadget. I take specs into consideration, you'd be daft not to, but like yourself I work out what I need/want, what I can make use of and what's a waste of time. To be honest, we don't "need" most of the tech on cameras, after all we managed with manual SLR's but boy does it make life easier ;)

With things like AF systems it will obviously depend on what you shoot, so if you only shoot landscapes then an AF system doesn't really matter. If you shoots sports, wildlife, your kids running around etc etc then AF systems matter more. Likewise AF point spread, not an issue with landscape but with other genres it could mean having to crop quite a bit due to having to get (part of) your subject within the AF point area and therefore leaving a lot of 'empty' space at the edges.

Tilt screens again not essential, but boy do they save my back,... and my washing bills from not having to lie on the floor ;)

The point I'm making is that specs matter more to some than others, and shouldn't be completely disregarded (not that I'm implying you said that ;))

Back