Beginner Nikon AF-S 300mm f/4 ED

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
as our hoilday like everyone else has been cancelled SWBO has said that I can use some of the cash to spend I'm looking at getting the Nikon AF-S 300mm f/4 ED to go with my D7000 & D3100, to have a go at wildlife photography (when allowed ) would it be a good match?

Superb lens and sharp too, doesn't have VR so you need to match your shutter speed to the focal length at least, also goes well with the TC14E mk 2.

Mine doesn;t get much use because I have the more versatile zooms (80-400 and 200-500) but that f4 is a huge bonus.

What’s your budget up? I’ve shot the 300 f4 in af-d, afs and pf variant... they’re all excellent and produce wonderful images. However - I do find 300 a tad short for wildlife - but it’s one of my favourite lenses.

If I could afford it - I’d go for the 300 pf - the size and weight are a huge bonus! But optically - the afs is superb too - it’s a really good bit of kit.
I think mpb have some around the 300 mark - but if looking for something for wildlife and spending more than that - I’d seriously consider a bigger zoom like a 150-600 imo.

thanks to you both for answering my question as I'm just tipping my toes into wildlife don't want to spend loads in case it doesn't go anywhere so I would say budget is up to £500

It's a lovely lens, you get a lot of lens for your money on it too. If you got that and 1.4x TC (so makes the lens 420mm f/5.6) then the combination of that plus your D7000 will give you pretty good reach for wildlife.

I found the above combo a little short on full frame, but equally I don't put much (if any!) effort into wildlife work so you might be able to get closer & find more to your liking.

I think a 300mm is a good focal length for wildlife particularly on a crop sensor. I get away with a 70-200mm for tame wildlife on my full frame body. I think a smaller lens has its benefits being more manoeuvrable, more portable and less conspicuous when approaching wildlife. It depends what your photographing and how you plan to shoot. Longer lenses suit ‘camping out’ and waiting for wildlife to come to you more, shorter lenses allow for more movement / shooting whilst on a long walk for example. I also find shorter lenses are faster without breaking the bank and allow for easier isolation of the background if you can get close enough

Last edited:
thanks to you both for answering my question as I'm just tipping my toes into wildlife don't want to spend loads in case it doesn't go anywhere so I would say budget is up to £500

In that case, then the 300 f4 is an excellent choice, or perhaps a 70-200 vr i 2.8 - it depends how much telephoto glass you have and how committed you'll be to using this lens. That sounds odd - but whilst this lens is relatively compact - outside of pf variant, it can be a little cumbersome to carry around. But I think it's worth it.

I use mine for 'local' wildlife:
20200416-DSC_0549 by Chris Reynolds, on Flickr

It doubles as an excellent portrait lens too:
NFG_720_0066-2018-3-L by RO Photography, on Flickr

Sprint_squad-720_5126-181018-17-L by RO Photography, on Flickr

These were all shot with the ancient AF-D version - it's a tank, with slow AF (it'll work on your D7000 not the D3100) but for how much they are, they can't be touched on a value for money basis imo.

superb lens ,but can develop A/F problems ..known fault

I have used the 300mm F/4 for years and it's my favourite lens once you get the knack of it you'll love it.

Considered the sigma 150-600mm? Roughly the same price for double the reach. And it has OS so you can handhold at 600mm easily.

I was looking at the same - c version. 750 new. Some one also mentioned the 300mm f4 on as mother forum.
Prices seem okay but if adding teleconverter then can bring in line with the variable zooms. My other half won't let me buy the sigma I will have to sneak it past her

The Sigma is a strange lens. OH bought the EF fit to go to Costa Rica last spring, having been envious of my Nikkor 200-500.

We tried it in the shop and after a long think, and one was bought. The one we tried felt good to hold.

Get to Costa Rica and we both struggled with the lens; couldn't work out why it felt great in Colwyn Bay but awkward in Costa Rica. It was sold on not long after.

Moral of the story - try, try and try before buying.

I ended up getting the 300mm f/4 with a broken AF motor just as a 'kick about' lens, fell in love with it and ended up deciding to get it repaired!!

Back