Nikon AF-S 500mm f/4G ED VR versus NIKON AF-S 200-400MM F4 G II ED N VR

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, Looking for some advice. Im contemplating buying a Nikon AF-S 500mm f/4G ED VR Lens. However, I'd be interested in hearing people's thoughts on the NIKON AF-S 200-400MM F4 G II ED N VR. My main interest is wildlife photography with a little bit of sport thrown in. My main question is, do you find the zoom of the 200-400 more beneficial than the fixed 500mm? Is the image quality noticeable? Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks in advance

I have owned both and still have the 500mm, they are quite different. The 200-400 is a fantastic lens on close subjects and is the best lens I have used on subjects less than 10m away, the image quality and short minimum focus distance make it the perfect tool for small birds close to hides. The 500 is far better option for longer subject distances, it is far sharper >10m and is generally quicker to focus. The minimum focus distance is sometimes too short for small birds up close. The 500 is longer heavier and more difficult to transport and carry. I missed my 200-400 when I sold it but I did not use it enough to justify keeping it. Overall they are both excellent, but also both need a heavy duty tripod and a good gimbal head to get the most out of them.

I have owned the 500mm, the 600mm and the 200-400mm (three times!) I just keep going back to the 200-400mm. It is a great lens. The primes will alway be the best. But I love the versatility of the zoom and a bit lighter in weight. I sold my 500mm to my mate. He sold it on because of the weight. My 500mm and 600mm were cracking lenses. Pin sharp. Just preferred my 200-400mm in the end. I won't be selling it a 3rd time.

I've had both and whilst the 200-400 has the versatility of a zoom and is very marginally lighter, IMO there is nothing to recommend it over the 500 f4.
My 500 f4 was super sharp and could be used with all three converters (1.4iii, 1.7ii & 2iii) to good effect.
If you intend using it for wildlife, remember that reach will be a primary requirement and the extra 100mm will make a difference, though it could be a negative for sport where the zoom might prove useful (or get a 200-500 as well!).

Back