Nikon announce 18-300mm lens

If it performs well it will be a very handy lens to have.
I wonder how much ££.

I'll definitely be interested in this lens. What a great all purpose lens it would be.

Zharrt said:
$999 is correct

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/New-Nikon-Lens/ci/19254/N/4100277591

I wonder what the UK price of the 18-300 will be

Nikon lens have a world wide guarantee don't they?

Yes they do have global warranties. If Nikon UK charge £999 and people pay that they're just plain daft.....but some people are. I bought my 70-200 VR II from a UK based dealer who sells grey imports for less than people were buying them second hand in the classifieds on here....madness.

I imagine it will be in the £700 to £800 range

I can feel my credit card twitching, but I'll try to restrain myself at least until some reviews appear.

Anyone have an idea on the release date? Was holding out for an 18-200 before the Singapore F1 in September, but the 18-300 is a no-brainer.....hope I can get one in time!

From a Canon user this looks like it could be the zoom breakthrough everyone has been looking for. If the IQ is good and constant from end to end then it should sell by the bucket load. The nearest thing Canon has is the 28-300 L (which I've been lusting after for ages) which is a big lump of a lens, but gives great IQ. If this is as good optically it will hopefully spur Canon and the other lens manufacturers into competition which can only be for the good of all.

My usual camera shop are pricing it at 700GBP here, nice! Anyone have any idea on availability?

Mifsuds have taken delivery of these and they are selling them at £849. Has anyone seen any reviews yet? I do like the idea of it for a holiday walk around lens but I think I'll be waiting a while yet at that price.

So would this be an all purpose lens so to speak from a hobbyist point of view?

So would this be an all purpose lens so to speak from a hobbyist point of view?

Depends on what the IQ is like once reviews appear, but looking at pictures of it online, it's a monster! Looks twice the size of the 18-200 and weighs 29.3 oz./830g, not all that conducive for a discreet "carry all day" type lens.

Hmm I'm leaning towards the 18-200 now after hearing some early reviews regarding the size and weight of the 18-300.

Hmm I'm leaning towards the 18-200 now after hearing some early reviews regarding the size and weight of the 18-300.

Did you see the comparison pics on the net? I think it was DPReview that had the side by side. Amazing how much bigger it has to be for the extra 100mm.

Just bought an 18-300 on my lunch break, it doesn't feel that big in the hand. Will be taking it out for a test drive this evening!

Any chance you could post a pic of the lens on the camera, so I can see how big it looks on the body?

I could ber very interested in this lens!

Try googling 18-300 <camera here> then 'images' looks huge extended lol
Its still quite impressive from an optics/manufacturing POV but i'll stick with a few choice select lenses :)

The MTF looks not too bad. It will be quite a lens for video surely.

Aside from when I need paper-thin DoF, which is where specific primes come into play, I'm seriously considering something like this to avoid lens changing when shooting video. Seems to make sense having a 'do it all' lens....

Just had first outing, the zoom range is amazing! Not done any scientific tests as it was night time up on hills overlooking the city, and my little cheapo tripod really isn't up to long exposures with a lens that heavy.

Was carrying D5100 + 18-300 my usual way just with the stock strap wrapped around my wrist, for a good 2-3 hours schlepping up hills. Obviously heavier than my 17-50 2.8 but not overly so. Balance isn't too bad, bit front heavy on the D5100, but on a D7000 I reckon it would be perfect.

Back