Marcel

Kim Jong Bod
Admin
Name
Marcel
Edit My Images
Yes
Nikon UK is pleased to announce the introduction of the D2xs professional
digital SLR camera, following the success of the award-winning Nikon D2x.

While the D2xs shares many features with its predecessor, the new model boasts
an array of refinements that enhance performance and improve the user
experience. For further information about the D2xs please visit:

http://www.nikon.co.uk/press_room/releases/show.aspx?rid=217

Seems the same as mine apart from the extra flash features, the added colour profiles and a couple of minor changes to the write speeds and stuff.
I don't think the Army will be buying these just yet.

well, when they do, my names at the top of the list for a d2x, should you happen to 'lose' one accidentaly ;)

(bribe to be attached later when I have something you might want, having said that, I do have two younger sisters..........)

I'm already trying to work out how to 'exchange' my D1x for a D2x when it comes time for me to hand them back when I get posted out of here...

Arkady said:
I'm already trying to work out how to 'exchange' my D1x for a D2x when it comes time for me to hand them back when I get posted out of here...

I take it brute force and an unhealthy display of violence and aggression is frowned upon then? :LOL:

I get issued the kit and it's 'mine' for the duration of the posting. The rationale is that we need to keep the kit with us for 'continuation' training, so as to avoid skills-fade (as the military put it).
This was all agreed tacitly years ago on the understanding that we don't overtly advertise for work. But all military phots do 'Homers' to keep in practice and to top up the pocket-money.

Some outside the photographic trade frown on it, but that all stops as soon as they need a wedding or family portrait and realise how much a civilian photographer charges. Quid pro quo...

The current batch of kit is good, although all the lenses are the older generation originally designed to work with the F5/F90x series of film cameras. They work OK but aren't as fast on the AF front as newer optics. The Sigma 14mm is horrible and exhibits lots of flare whenever I use it, which is seldom as I hate it so much. The Nikkor 14mm I was issued when I was CCT at Land Command was infinitely better.
We are scheduled to be receiving the first of the new batch of kit generated under the 'Smart Procurement Programme' next month - this means that as new kit is rolled out by the manufacturers, we automatically upgrade as kit needs replacing (not a case of: 'ooh there's a new Nikon, can I have it', more of when the camera dies through natural causes you get the latest model availble as a replacement).
We're supposed to be getting the latest VR 80-200 f/2.8; 17-55 f/2.8 and the new tele-converters. D2x will remain until the next generation comes out - I don't expect to see the D2xs model being issued by the Army.

Arkady said:

Tippex

Arkady said:
(not a case of: 'ooh there's a new Nikon, can I have it', more of when the camera dies through natural causes you get the latest model availble as a replacement).
I take it they frown on "it slipped out of my hand, the neck strap boke then a 7.5 tonner drove over it can I have a new 'n?"

Gemok said:
I take it they frown on "it slipped out of my hand, the neck strap boke then a 7.5 tonner drove over it can I have a new 'n?"

"Where is it?...it stuck to his wheel...."
"No...I didn't get a registration...."

Quite - you're supposed to bring the bits back. In the case of 'it fell overboard' or 'it fell out of the helicopter door' you have to provide a list of witnesses on an official Loss-Rep form.
It's do-able, I suppose, especially as you tend to only pay 10% of the target price in cases of total negligence where the accident was completely avoidable. Maybe if I was a real scrote I'd try it, but why bother - I get the latest kit to use as and when I need it...

In cases of Exercise or Operation loss or destruction, we tend not to have to pay anything.

It could get awkward, as in: "Yes my Challenger II/Apache helicopter/Type 42 Destroyer was blown up/crashed/sunk by enemy action, can I have another one please?"

Back