Nikon battery compatibility

I

Ian T

I was looking on eBay at Nikon batteries (or rather, cheap unbranded ones trying to be passed off as Nikon ones) and people were advertising them as usable with the D50, D70, D200, etc.

But, I thought the D200 used different batteries to the D50 and D70? Is this correct, or are the batteries interchangeable?

Thanks.

I bought one of these a while back (it cost less back then) but it's worked fine and has saved me some wedge. Will be buying more soonish for my D200.

the official nikon ones dont last long enough as it is.

Not in my experience. Each of my batteries for my D80 lasts around 1000 frames. I'm upgrading to the D300 that takes the same batteries and I expect it'll be the same for that, too.

I paid about £50 for two new genuine Nikon batteries from eBay.

But this is the thing, the spec for the D50 says it uses the EN-EL3, as does the D70. However, the D200 is specc'd with the EN-EL3e. The battery linked above on eBay claims to be backward compatible, and hence suitable with any of these three bodies.

Perhaps my question should be: Can I use EN-EL3 batteries on a D200, or should I only use EN-EL3e ones, assuming I am using genuine Nikon stock only?

Thanks again for the help.

I sold a D70s recently, I kept the spare battery for it to use in my D200....guess what....it didn't fit, so I sent it on to the D70 buyer.
I'm not entirely sure but I think a D200 battery will fit both D70 and D200, but a D70 battery bought as a D70 battery specifically, won't fit a D200.

As an owner of both D200 and D70s, I can confirm that D200 batteries do fit the D70s, but NOT the other way round. For both cameras, I have the original Nikon version batteries, and each has a £10 ebay job too - both work as well as the 2 nikon originals and last as long, and as the D70 cheapo has now lasted 2 years, and the D200 version over a year, I think they were worth the minimal investment.

Shak, the D80 is much better on battery life than the D200. I dont know how much the D300 has improved on the D200 in this respect.

I'd heard this. I wonder if any D300 users could shed any light on the matter. I sense a thread coming on... :thinking:

As an owner of both D200 and D70s, I can confirm that D200 batteries do fit the D70s, but NOT the other way round. For both cameras, I have the original Nikon version batteries, and each has a £10 ebay job too - both work as well as the 2 nikon originals and last as long, and as the D70 cheapo has now lasted 2 years, and the D200 version over a year, I think they were worth the minimal investment.

X2.....(y)

I bought one of these a while back (it cost less back then) but it's worked fine and has saved me some wedge. Will be buying more soonish for my D200.

nice one, i may have to get a couple of those although i already have three official nikon ones so that might be overkill.

The d300 is much better on battery life than the d200, that said i think at best i get 500 raws off of one battery.

A blast from the slight past, but will the EN-EL3e batteries work in a D50?

yes, EN-EL3e batteries will work in a D50

Back