NIKON: Buy a dedicated long reach tele or a teleconverter??

Edit My Images
Yes
I have a Nikon D750 and have a Nikon AF-P NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 E ED VR (as well as some wide angle tele-zooms)

I want to get in to wildlife and bird photography more, so don't know whether to bite the bullet and buy a Sigma 150-600 Contemporary or save a few quid and get a 1.4 or 2x tele converter?? The 150-600 will take some slick negotiations with Mrs Bank Manager. Budget is a bit of an issue...but at a stretch I could maybe do 700 on a good used Sigma but didn't want to go that far if I didn't have to. Part ex the 70-300 could be an option if I went 150-600, as already have a 24-120.

I take it putting a tele converter on that 70-300 would be a big compromise?

Your advice welcome :)

You'll get better results with the 150-600. (y)

Last edited:
Absolutely no contest - talk to your moneyboss !

IQ will take a big hit, but you'll all but lose AF if you go the converter route - you might get away with it on static subjects, but the frustration welcome quick!

No cheap and easy way unfortunately. Maybe consider the older 150-500 Sigma?

Mike

This is why i gave up on tele lenses in general, either its going to be very expensive or very compromised and likely huge and heavy.

I have a Nikon D750 and have a Nikon AF-P NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 E ED VR (as well as some wide angle tele-zooms)

I take it putting a tele converter on that 70-300 would be a big compromise?
Does a teleconverter even physically fit on that lens? As far as I’m aware nikon teleconverters don’t fit many Nikon lenses because they would strike the rear element of the lens. The exotic primes and telephoto lenses are recessed to stop this. I gather the likes of kenko may fit but theres no such thing as a free lunch with teleconverters as there will compromises and reduced performance.

Thanks for the advice, didn't want to go to the full 850 so grabbed the used (9) from. WEX. One Sigma 150-600 Contemporary winging it's way to me :cool:

You won't regret it, they're a pretty amazing lens for the money.

As you're using a 750 you won't need the dock either as you can fine-tune your camera (if you need to). (y)

Does a teleconverter even physically fit on that lens? As far as I’m aware nikon teleconverters don’t fit many Nikon lenses because they would strike the rear element of the lens. The exotic primes and telephoto lenses are recessed to stop this. I gather the likes of kenko may fit but theres no such thing as a free lunch with teleconverters as there will compromises and reduced performance.

Yes and no!

As you say, the Nikkor teleconverters will not physically fit the 70-300 VR - the rear element of the lens makes contact with the front of the teleconverter. The 1.5x Kenko one I have will fit but cropping into a "straight" 70-300 shot gives better results, albeit at a smaller final print size.

@Sky
Thanks for the link.
I wonder if the lens will have the latest firmware... That or its another 40 quid for a Sigma dock :rolleyes:. Can you check on camera??

@Sky
Thanks for the link.
I wonder if the lens will have the latest firmware... That or its another 40 quid for a Sigma dock :rolleyes:. Can you check on camera??

You're welcome. I'd figured you probably knew about it, but I put in for others who may not have known what I was talking about. ;)

It's worth having as Mike says. However, I only ever used mine once and that was to reset to defaults and check latest firmware on the day I got it - that was a couple of years ago.

I mainly use it at around 500 - 550mm anyway, so wasn't too worried about setting different focal lengths.

You can only check the firmware with the dock unfortunately. :(

Back