Nikon Camera for gig photography?

Name
Jo
Edit My Images
No
Hey guys and girls,

Just got a question that has been on my mind for a while.
At my college, in the first year we are only allowed to take out Nikons, not Canon cameras (DSLR's).
As I don't have my own, I borrow from the college. However I have never really used any Nikon camera as Canon is my main preference.
In Feb, I have a charity gig that I have to shoot for and want to get the best shots poss.

The question is: What Nikon DSLR would be suitable for gig photography in order to get the best shots? Meaning great detail in the shots and clear images. Also, what would be best if you are a bit shaky in the hands? ('cos I'm moving around a pub, I can't use a tripod).

I have heard the D90 is quite good, but I'm not sure if anyone thinks different?
Let me know. Thanks :)

First, both Nikon and Canon is fully capable of shooting gigs without a problem.

It all depend on the lighting on the stage etc.

I would suggest a body that can shoot pretty high ISO and fast glass will do.

It all depend on your budget. D90 is a good camera and will do the job without a problem.

AT the end of the day it depend what glass you stick infront of that camera to make it happen.

i think we talking about limited budget here lol.

D90 with primes will do the trick lol.

Its more the lens than the body TBH. Jared Polin has shots gigs with a D3100, but he uses top quality glass like the 14-24 f/2.8 and 24-70 f/2.8.
Stick any of the f/2.8 nikon zooms on any Nikon body made in the last 5 or 6 years and you'll get the shots you want. I also used a 85mm f/1.8 a lot and got good results.

Tom's advice is good. If you can't afford Nikon fast zoom, you can get the prime lens.

85mm f1.8AFD, 50mm f1.8 AFD and 35mm f1.8AFS is cheap and definite worth the money.

D90 is a good camera. If you can stretch to a used D300 then it will last you for a very good while.

Hey everyone,
Thanks for your messages. The budget isn't a problem, the college I go to has a huge range of Nikon and Canon cameras we can borrow, I'm just not allowed a Canon because I'm a first year and haven't been inducted (rubbish, I know).

The last time I did photography for gig, I was limited to a Sony a200 and I found that the shots looked fine on the camera but on the computer, parts of it were out of focus which was dissapointing. Out of 500 shots, I could only use less than a third of them and they were 'ok'.

I'm going to take out the D90 and grab a couple lenses this weekend and see how that works in low light. The gig venue is in a really low lit pub so, like you suggested - high ISO.

Just nervous because I'm the only shooter and I don't want to mess it up!

Cheers!

Pubs are the worst to shoot usually, as they just have a few spotlights, so you'll probably want at least ISO 1600 and preferably a f/1.8 lens.
Of course at f/1.8 the DOF is really shallow, you'll only have a few mm in focus on any picture, so focusing on the right thing is critical. (singers eyes, guitarists hands etc) Dont just point and shoot, pick your shots, use all the focus points on the camera if you can, although depending on the camera used, not all focus points will focus very well in such low light.

So you going out and buy a camera and lens or you choosing a wide range of camera from your college?

I don't know why your college would not allow to use canon at first year ...... i personal think their is nothing to do with first year or not lol. Is matter of preference on which system you use.

You said your college have wide range of camera to borrow. How about taking a D3s or D700? and loan out couple of fast zoom and prime?

Flashes at gigs is usually horrible and at most venues not allowed. At a pub this wouldnt be an issue, but I still would strongly advise against it.

TCR4x4 said:
Flashes at gigs is usually horrible and at most venues not allowed. At a pub this wouldnt be an issue, but I still would strongly advise against it.

i do a lot of stuff in pubs and not once have i been asked not to is flash or told flash ain't aloud.

Although i have heard of this but only on this forum

:thinking: Did I read this right - a Canon user recommending a Nikon :shrug: :naughty:

He recommend Nikon because the OP said the first year student can only take out Nikon cameras and Canon is not allow.

What was the college thinking? What differents will that make for a first year student? hahahahaha

i do a lot of stuff in pubs and not once have i been asked not to is flash or told flash ain't aloud.

Although i have heard of this but only on this forum

Thats why I said AT A PUB this isnt an issue.. You try pulling out a flashgun in a photo pit at a venue and see how far you get.

TCR4x4 said:
Thats why I said AT A PUB this isnt an issue.. You try pulling out a flashgun in a photo pit at a venue and see how far you get.

I do more club and events rather then gigs although i have done gigs but nothing on a major scale

duttytd said:
I do more club and events rather then gigs although i have done gigs but nothing on a major scale

Well I have done gigs on a major scale all around Europe and never used flash and never wanted to even if I could have. It ruins the ambience of the event unless you want those silly 2nd curtain light trails.

TCR4x4 said:
Well I have done gigs on a major scale all around Europe and never used flash and never wanted to even if I could have. It ruins the ambience of the event unless you want those silly 2nd curtain light trails.

Wow shoot me down why don't you! Sorry we ain't all shooting on your level!

i think in term of artistic type of view, the photo look better without flash on gigs.

duttytd said:
Wow shoot me down why don't you! Sorry we ain't all shooting on your level!

Not shooting anyone down, just expressing my real life experiences as you said you hadn't heard of the no flash rule outside of the forum. I can confirm its in force all over Europe.

Hey guys,

Basically the college have everything, flashes, lenses etc. I hate using flash at gigs though. When I did the gig photography before, there were about 6 of us and a couple guys were using flashes which annoyed me. It makes the pictures look quite horrible, in my opinion.

It is rather annoying about only being limited to Nikon's. I've had more experience with Canon camera's then Nikon and frustrating 'cos it's a personal preference I can't have!

Definitely going to have a gander at the different Nikon types for the highest ISO etc as I want a quick shutter speed. (It's mainly rock/metal bands playing who are quite lively on stage, so need clean shots).

What's this about the fast zoom and prime? I haven't heard it before... (I know, I know, degree level and I have no idea what you're on about, I should just quit ;) ) In my defence, I do prefer film photography!

And just so we are all clear, I'm BORROWING a camera from the college. Not looking to buy anything. :)

Cheers again guys.

Jowanee said:
Hey guys,

Basically the college have everything, flashes, lenses etc. I hate using flash at gigs though. When I did the gig photography before, there were about 6 of us and a couple guys were using flashes which annoyed me. It makes the pictures look quite horrible, in my opinion.

It is rather annoying about only being limited to Nikon's. I've had more experience with Canon camera's then Nikon and frustrating 'cos it's a personal preference I can't have!

Definitely going to have a gander at the different Nikon types for the highest ISO etc as I want a quick shutter speed. (It's mainly rock/metal bands playing who are quite lively on stage, so need clean shots).

What's this about the fast zoom and prime? I haven't heard it before... (I know, I know, degree level and I have no idea what you're on about, I should just quit ;) ) In my defence, I do prefer film photography!

And just so we are all clear, I'm BORROWING a camera from the college. Not looking to buy anything. :)

Cheers again guys.

Fast zoom = zoom lens with fast aperture, usually f/2.8 or faster
Prime = fixed focal length lens

It was a metal bands I was photographing, and I stuck to ISO 1600, would have liked more, but the d200 I was using at the time was noisy as hell above 800. With most modern bodies you'll be fine at 1600 with some noise reduction afterwards. Shoot raw so you can rescue the highlights too.

Think most of these are ISO 1600 with noise reduction in photoshop, they cleaned quite well.

_DSC7350 by TCR4x4, on Flickr

_DSC7326 by TCR4x4, on Flickr

DSC_7583 by TCR4x4, on Flickr

_DSC7453 by TCR4x4, on Flickr

Last edited:
What was it about photos with flash that you didn't like?

I'd imagine it's them completely overpowering the ambient light. Would remove the atmosphere from the shots. That's of course notwithstanding their not being allowed in a lot of venues.

For gig shots, don't be afraid of using ISO3200 or 6400, even on a D90. The air quality (smoke, water) will impact things as much as noise. The balance between ISO, aperture and DR (in some really horrible (for photography) lighting you're better off shooting at a lower ISO, underexposing, then bringing back up on PC to avoid blowing a colour channel, and there can be isues with DoF at really wide apertures) moves about a bit.

Don't know if TCR is able or willing to link to his images. Those would help to show what makes the most difference. Otherwise this guy is pretty good.

ausemmao said:
Don't know if TCR is able or willing to link to his images. Those would help to show what makes the most difference. Otherwise this guy is pretty good.

Beat me to it! Was just inserting some. Not perfect by any means, but absolutely no flash!

I took this with flash

http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/duttytd/6396661373/in/photostream/

Looks like the flash didn't effect the ambient light!

You are far closer to him than one typically gets to acts at a gig, and he's posing, not flailing about as drummers and guitarists tend to do when playing. ;)

I'm not saying that flash can't be mixed with ambient.
I'm saying that conditions at a gig when photographing acts tend to preclude it, (that slow a SS would introduce a lot of motion blur as the ambient would contribute a lot of light to the exposure) and as mentioned before, you often don't even have the option of flash.

ausemmao said:
You are far closer to him than one typically gets to acts at a gig, and he's posing, not flailing about as drummers and guitarists tend to do when playing. ;)

I'm not saying that flash can't be mixed with ambient.
I'm saying that conditions at a gig when photographing acts tend to preclude it, (that slow a SS would introduce a lot of motion blur as the ambient would contribute a lot of light to the exposure) and as mentioned before, you often don't even have the option of flash.

Point taken lol

Messiah Marcolin is the man ;)

He is the nicest man you will ever meet too! He is like a little lost child. His wife phoned him up everyday to make sure he had eaten lunch!

We went out for dinner in Paris with my wife, Messiah and Christofer from Therion. Us 3 just ordered a small main, Messaiah went the whole hog and had a 5 course meal with cheese board and wine, but then he felt really guilty that he was eating and we had finshed. He asked us not to leave him there cos he couldnt remember the way back to the venue lol.

TCR4x4 said:
He is the nicest man you will ever meet too! He is like a little lost child. His wife phoned him up everyday to make sure he had eaten lunch!

We went out for dinner in Paris with my wife, Messiah and Christofer from Therion. Us 3 just ordered a small main, Messaiah went the whole hog and had a 5 course meal with cheese board and wine, but then he felt really guilty that he was eating and we had finshed. He asked us not to leave him there cos he couldnt remember the way back to the venue lol.

Lol

Fast zoom = zoom lens with fast aperture, usually f/2.8 or faster
Prime = fixed focal length lens

It was a metal bands I was photographing, and I stuck to ISO 1600, would have liked more, but the d200 I was using at the time was noisy as hell above 800. With most modern bodies you'll be fine at 1600 with some noise reduction afterwards. Shoot raw so you can rescue the highlights too.

Think most of these are ISO 1600 with noise reduction in photoshop, they cleaned quite well.

_DSC7350 by TCR4x4, on Flickr

_DSC7326 by TCR4x4, on Flickr

DSC_7583 by TCR4x4, on Flickr

_DSC7453 by TCR4x4, on Flickr

These are really cool photos. Basically what I want to try and achieve with the quality, focus and style of the images...

Thanks for explaining the fast zoom and prime too, understand what you mean. I'll have to ask at the desk what lenses they have etc.
Pretty fortunate that I'm not at my A-level college 'cos that was just a Sony a200 with the choice of a zoom lens!

And I don't like the flash because it's usually just too harsh, if someone jumps in front of you, you get their head instead of the potential subject you were aiming for. Personally, I only use flash in the studio or if it's too dark without it:

With flash in studio: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...19157017.85197.308096605867155&type=3&theater

Flash at night: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...32119702.91596.308096605867155&type=3&theater

Also, here's some examples of my gig 'photography' using the a200:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...0177180823782.367623.669748781&type=3&theater

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...0177212163782.367648.669748781&type=3&theater

Not the best photo's I've ever seen but it was pretty tough to do as the bloke who set it up is OBSESSED with strobe lighting, which I found a complete pain the backside!
Shot them in black and white too, thought I'd be different. (Had about 6 other photographers - which is far too many for such a small space/gig - 2 using flash and all shooting in colour).

Cheers again.

Jowanee said:
And I don't like the flash because it's usually just too harsh, if someone jumps in front of you, you get their head instead of the potential subject you were aiming for.

I don't mean to sound harsh but really? The flash is not the reason you see other people if they jump in the shot!

As for the flash being to harsh... There are diffusers and That's why you have different power outputs on the flash also the flash compensation on the camera to turn it down.

I think you need to have a good sit down and learn about flash before you start slagging it off as it seems to me that you have no idea about it.

Last edited:
Flash is not allow on gig venue is because it will disturb the band's performance on stage. I play in a band and when i do gig i certainly don't want 5-10 photography flashing at me .........

More like health and safety reason actually.

Good use of flash photography it is very good.

Weather you use or not is up to the photographer's artistic style.

I don't mean to sound harsh but really? The flash is not the reason you see other people if they jump in the shot!

As for the flash being to harsh... That's why you have different power out puts on the flash also the flash compensation on the camera to turn it down.

I think you need to have a good sit down and learn about flash before you start slagging it off as it seems to me that you have no idea about it.

Excuse me? I meant if someone moves in front of you and you take the shot, with flash, you'll have the back of their head as a focus point. The rest of the shot will be dark (hence why you're using the flash in the first place) and you then have a lovely shot of someones hairdo.

And I'm not slagging it off, I'm saying it's a personal preference. I don't like it or using it for my photo's because I can do fine without it in gig photography, which is what this thread is about. Not who likes flash and who should learn about it etc.

All throughout this thread, you have been saying about flash and got annoyed when TCR 'shot you down', so don't get all high and mighty and do the same to me just because I don't like something you obviously do. I asked for help on gig photography not your opinion on flash. Rant over. :)

Jowanee said:
Excuse me? I meant if someone moves in front of you and you take the shot, with flash, you'll have the back of their head as a focus point. The rest of the shot will be dark (hence why you're using the flash in the first place) and you then have a lovely shot of someones hairdo.

And I'm not slagging it off, I'm saying it's a personal preference. I don't like it or using it for my photo's because I can do fine without it in gig photography, which is what this thread is about. Not who likes flash and who should learn about it etc.

All throughout this thread, you have been saying about flash and got annoyed when TCR 'shot you down', so don't get all high and mighty and do the same to me just because I don't like something you obviously do. I asked for help on gig photography not your opinion on flash. Rant over. :)

Lol why would your focus point change just because your using flash?

Yes we have established that you will not be using flash but you still went on to say you don't like it because its harsh so im telling you flash don't have to be harsh if you use it correctly.

What year are you at college?

P.s the rant between me and TCR don't need stirring thanks.

Last edited:
Back