Nikon Capture NX & Picture Control, a question for D3\D300 users

Name
Tomas
Edit My Images
No
Hmmm, I've been having a play around with the picture controls (Standard, Neutral, Vivid etc) and active D lighting on my D3.
I always shoot RAW but realised that the picture control options were effecting the appearance of the RAW file when viewed on the LCD screen, but
I've noticed that post import to lightroom or photoshop, the picture control\active D lighting settings are lost or not being read. :(

There's a similar discussion on flickr here

I have read somewhere that Lighroom can't read the .NEF side car file that contains the picture control\active D lighting info and Capture NX2 will only read this info and apply it to the image correctly.

I don't feel comfortable shelling out for Capture NX2 but I do want to see the different effects available on my camera.

I thought that maybe if you have RAW saved to one CF card and JPEG to another, I'll at least be able to see the difference or benefits (if there is any) in using the picture control\active D lighting.

Does anyone have any experience\solutions\guidance or thoughts with this?
Do I have to buy Capture NX2?

I'm a bit stumped really :thinking:

When I was using Lightroom v1.0, it would read the RAW files from my D80 exactly as I took them, but now with v1.4 (to support the D300) Lightroom wouldn't recognise all the colours of the RAW files, exactly as I took them. I have the camera set to use 'vivid' picture control.

It sounds like you have a similar problem and it's really annoying!

When I was using Lightroom v1.0, it would read the RAW files from my D80 exactly as I took them, but now with v1.4 (to support the D300) Lightroom wouldn't recognise all the colours of the RAW files, exactly as I took them. I have the camera set to use 'vivid' picture control.

It sounds like you have a similar problem and it's really annoying!
Hi!
I use LR2, As far as I can tell it reads the basic RAW file with no problems at all, all looks good and well, but when compared with the LCD image it's quite obvious that the active D lighting is absent as with any sharpness, saturation, high ISO NR adjustments.
Seems that Capture NX2 is the only way of using these facilities. A bit darn cheeky considering.

Yeah NX2 is the only software that can read the proprietary info out of the NEF to know what to do with it as far as d-lighting, sharpening etc is concerned.

Yeah NX2 is the only software that can read the proprietary info out of the NEF to know what to do with it as far as d-lighting, sharpening etc is concerned.

Cheers for the info mate, a long shot but how about View NX? will that read the active D lighting and picture control info? and allow me to export?
I'm not at home, I'm out and about, I will check and have a play with the 60 day trial when I'm back instead of asking all these questions:LOL:

The original version of Captur NX (not the newer version) also displays with Active D-Lighting options.

The View NX (which is free) also applies these settings and allows you to batch convert too.

The original version of Captur NX (not the newer version) also displays with Active D-Lighting options.

The View NX (which is free) also applies these settings and allows you to batch convert too.

Cheers for that mate, I tried View NX and although it seemed to read ADL and the picture controls it took a millenium to read a RAW file, I have Capture NX2 now and it's marginally better.
NX2 seems like it has some nice features it's just a bit of a shame that it's so slow.

NX2 generally does a better job of processing .nefs than any other software. Sharper, better colours etc.

I've just upgraded my pc and it runs alot smoother and faster now. before was a 2.8 p4 & 2gb ddr now 3.0 c2d & 4gb of ddr3.

NX2 generally does a better job of processing .nefs than any other software. Sharper, better colours etc.

I've just upgraded my pc and it runs alot smoother and faster now. before was a 2.8 p4 & 2gb ddr now 3.0 c2d & 4gb of ddr3.

Cheers Gandhi!

I'm still strugglin a bit, I find when viewing the images on the LCD on camera, they look fantastic, when I open them in either capture NX, lightroom or PS, they don't look as good in terms of preserving highlights and shadows. I'm fairly sure my monitor is telling the truth so I'm a little stumped now :thinking:

Additional, after playing about with both Capture NX2 and my normal Lightroom and PS combo, I'm leaning toward LR & PS.
NX2 does have immediate better sharpness and colours but my overall edits are better in PS.
To be be faor though I'm still stumped as to how and why the camera's LCD displays a better image strraight off. Normally it's the other way round!

Back