Nikon CEO confirms they are working on a pro mirrorless system.

Why, if you want shallow DoF nothing does it like medium/larger formats. Full frame is fine, but its not like Phase One.

Fastest Phase One lenses are only f/2.8. On their 100mp sensor, that's DoF equivalent to f/1.9 on full-frame.

As a great all-rounder, taking into account all important aspects of imaging, full-frame is hard to beat.

Fastest Phase One lenses are only f/2.8. On their 100mp sensor, that's DoF equivalent to f/1.9 on full-frame.

As a great all-rounder, taking into account all important aspects of imaging, full-frame is hard to beat.
It won't matter in the future. You'll just tell the camera you want everything in focus plus or minus 6" of the focus point and the software will do the rest. The next iPhone is rumoured to have a laser for rangefinding so probably you'll have multiple lasers in your bigger (real) camera and you'll choose which bits to have in and out of focus, it'll be called hocus phocus:(

That was my fear - as I am not getting any younger, finding a system which is CONSIDERABLY MORE COMPACT AND LIGHTER IS VERY APPEALING, but it has to come with superb imaging too. The Fuji certainly seems to fit the bill, but I am concerned at the number of adopters who then ditch their kit very quickly afterwards. It makes me wonder why they changed their minds.

The layout is familiar to me, having started with fully manual film, then I got smart and bought a motordrive unit! Actually using an aperture ring, to my mind, is an advantage over rotating a wheel, even after all these years of wheel rolling, I still don't like it, I just live with it.

The only way to get smaller, lighter cameras AND lenses is to go with a system that uses a smaller sensor - lens size will always be controlled by sensor size for a given field of view (not focal length).

Well that would be true if MF had a vast array of very fast glass...
MF for me is too limiting, it has a specific purpose (posed / studio shooting etc) and the price / value ratio isn't for me. If I had £10k to spend on one body and lens, I would probably end up with a Leica M10 & summilux.

I'd be quite happy to explore medium format digital when the d810s I have bite the dust.

The dynamic range and colour depth you get with these larger sensors would work for me in the field

The only way to get smaller, lighter cameras AND lenses is to go with a system that uses a smaller sensor - lens size will always be controlled by sensor size for a given field of view (not focal length).

Or you could just use smaller lenses with modest apertures. You'll give up reach and razor thin dof but save bulk and weight.

Primes between 24 and 85mm or so do me nicely and not having long zooms makes for a very compact FF system. My A7+35mm f2.8 is tiny compared to my old 5D.

Basically what Alan said. There are small primes you can use to have a small FF package. Also more so if you are willing to adapt, you can even get speed and thin DoF with small sized primes.

Or you could just use smaller lenses with modest apertures. You'll give up reach and razor thin dof but save bulk and weight.

Primes between 24 and 85mm or so do me nicely and not having long zooms makes for a very compact FF system. My A7+35mm f2.8 is tiny compared to my old 5D.

Yep, and lenses with those same apertures will be smaller and lighter when designed for a crop-sensor or M43 camera than when providing full frame coverage. My wife's E-M10 and 14-42 zoom is barely bigger than her previous panasonic compact.

100th anniversary digital S3 ;)

Basically what Alan said. There are small primes you can use to have a small FF package. Also more so if you are willing to adapt, you can even get speed and thin DoF with small sized primes.

Sony A7, Zeiss 35mm f2.8 and 55mm f1.8, best small, light and portable FF mirrorless setup imo. :)

Does anyone have an idea of when the launch of this new camera is going to take place, is it in the next few weeks, months or years??
Neil

Does anyone have an idea of when the launch of this new camera is going to take place, is it in the next few weeks, months or years??
Neil
With Nikon making a statement, you'd think this year... perhaps they have been waiting for Sony to release a body to beat their top of the line D5 before reacting.
Nikon probably have a FF mirrorless body lockup in the safe ready for the right moment.

Or

it could be another Nikon DL saga! :D lol

Neil

I suspect it could be a while to be honest, nothing more solid right now than a vague comment from the CEO that they're working on it, they could probably have said the same at almost any point over the last few years.... Nikon tends to leak like a sieve, if something was anywhere close to launch/unveiling there would be leaked info all over the rumor sites.

With Nikon making a statement, you'd think this year... perhaps they have been waiting for Sony to release a body to beat their top of the line D5 before reacting.
Nikon probably have a FF mirrorless body lockup in the safe ready for the right moment.

Or

it could be another Nikon DL saga! :D lol
They can't afford another DL disaster. IF they are indeed making a pro level FF mirrorless body it now has to be top notch straight of the bat, they can't afford to do 'beta' testing with models like Sony have done. Same goes for Canon too imo.

They can't afford another DL disaster. IF they are indeed making a pro level FF mirrorless body it now has to be top notch straight of the bat, they can't afford to do 'beta' testing with models like Sony have done. Same goes for Canon too imo.
I agree, Sony originally released the A7 series as a test, to see how well they would sell etc, luckily for them it worked.
Less than 4 years since the original A7 was released....... staggering progress.
I predict by the end of next year the professional's will have access to native long prime lenses.... :)

Both Nikon and Canon need to respond to Sony and retain existing customers looking to go mirrorless.

After they figure out how design a shutter without issues? :p
There will always be issues as no camera is ever going to be perfect, somebody always finds something they dislike etc.
Nikon is a good brand... :)

There will always be issues as no camera is ever going to be perfect, somebody always finds something they dislike etc.
Nikon is a good brand... :)
Oooops just seen the D750 shutter re-call news... I see what you mean but this isn't the first time Nikon have had problems.... the D600 saga was epic, D7000 has issues.... what else?
When you have so many moving parts, things can and do go wrong.

Oooops just seen the D750 shutter re-call news... I see what you mean but this isn't the first time Nikon have had problems.... the D600 saga was epic, D7000 has issues.... what else?

Yes not the first time, which makes matter worst really. You'd think one would learn :p
Other DSLR brands haven't had similar problems have they? They have equal number of moving parts if not more in case of Pentax.

p.s. I do like Nikon, they seem to be able to get most out of sony sensors than Sony themselves.

Last edited:

d5000, d810

Sony A7, Zeiss 35mm f2.8 and 55mm f1.8, best small, light and portable FF mirrorless setup imo. :)

I've thought about this set up a lot. I'm sure it's great, but the last Sony I owned was so frustrating (NEX7). The D750 I have with 35mm f2 & 50mm 1.4 is still a pretty compact kit. If Fuji made a FF I'd probably buckle and buy it.

I've thought about this set up a lot. I'm sure it's great, but the last Sony I owned was so frustrating (NEX7). The D750 I have with 35mm f2 & 50mm 1.4 is still a pretty compact kit. If Fuji made a FF I'd probably buckle and buy it.
lot has changed from nex7 to A7. I'd suggest a re-try, perhaps borrow and try?

same goes for fuji, XT1 was frustrating but XT2 is pretty responsive.

lot has changed from nex7 to A7. I'd suggest a re-try, perhaps borrow and try?

same goes for fuji, XT1 was frustrating but XT2 is pretty responsive.
I agree.... technology is moving on at a very fast pace!

d800 issue on some I think

Back