Nikon CLS settings?

Name
Rob
Edit My Images
No
What would be the best settings to use an SB800 and an SB600 together wirelessly off a D300? Want to use them on low power for water drop type shots. Any advice would be welcome. Haven't really explored the CLS system possibilities yet, beyond the basics. Thanks.

Not sure if water drop type shots and CLS are a good combination. Manual flash settings might be much easier.

How are you triggering? Normally for those shots you would have the shutter open in a (near) dark room, and have a trigger fire the flash (triggered by the drop interrupting an IR beam). This would rule out CLS, but maybe you work differently?

Not sure if water drop type shots and CLS are a good combination. Manual flash settings might be much easier.

How are you triggering? Normally for those shots you would have the shutter open in a (near) dark room, and have a trigger fire the flash (triggered by the drop interrupting an IR beam). This would rule out CLS, but maybe you work differently?
You don't have to use ttl when using CLS. Manual power is an option.

I don't have a proper trigger system unfortunately, maybe a visit to ebay is needed, I was going to trust to taking many many shots (thank god for digital) and hopefully getting something good out of them all. If that fails then maybe taking an easier shot, like the dyed water or milk maybe immediately as it enters the water where it's slower. So forget CLS and reduce the power to make the flash duration shorter?

Sir SR is right, you can use manual with CLS, so the on camera (master) flash sets off the slaves. You can then set power from the camera for the external flashes, if they are compatible.

I think even on full power the duration of the flash will be short enough to "freeze" droplets.

It will be a bit hit and miss without a trigger, but indeed with digital you can afford to take lots of shots.

Don't know if you are into electronics at all, but if you happen to have an Arduino you can program it as a trigger, and have a cheap solution. All you need to add is a lightgate (and of course the work in setting up the Arduino).

Thanks Pieter. Yeah, my job is in electronics, I don't have an Arduino but I'll probably build a trigger from basic components soon. Just need to try and set this up and get some kind of result this weekend if I can. I think a lot of trial and error will hopefully give me a few useable images. Fingers crossed!

Back