Nikon Codec problem

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi hope someone can help, I have just downloaded the Nikon Codec so that I can view .NEF files in my directories and quick view files in Window's viewers. It seemed to work in that I could see my NEF files in Windows Explorer but when I load them I only get the top inch or so of the image.

It shows the whole image whilst loading the photo but when the "loading" icon goes and the image is fully loaded theere is only the top inch showing. Even if I zom in and then back out its the same.

I have just had a go at loading some other images up and it would imply that it will load some up but not others. Has anyone had an issue like this. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the subject matter as its a night star shot and there is little visable data (pre stack) though some older ones with slightly more detail (trees in the forground) do load.

I'm a little confused but guess this is just a little too unusual for it to have cropped up before but I thought I'd ask :)

Are you using Vista 64 bit by any chance?

Hi hope someone can help, I have just downloaded the Nikon Codec so that I can view .NEF files in my directories and quick view files in Window's viewers. It seemed to work in that I could see my NEF files in Windows Explorer but when I load them I only get the top inch or so of the image.
[...]

This came up on nikonians.org.

It is apparently a bug in the Nikon codec (Nikon's, not ours), and it only happens to files that have been edited with Nikon Software (CaptureNX). Are the files that have this problem straight from the camera, or have they been edited with CaptureNX?

David Blake

Back