Nikon Coolpix 8700 for a beginner?

Name
Mick
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all, hope you can help me,
I'm an absolute beginner to the world of photography but since joining this site have become addicted to viewing what is possible with a digital camera.
A friend is offering to sell me their Nikon Coolpix 8700 at a very reasonable price, however i have just read an online review of the camera and although it says the Coolpix is ideal for a beginner the add on accesories availible are very poor.
Can anybody clarify this for me or even let me know if this is a problem at all.
I aim to be concentrating on Landscape and People Portraits. Do i even need more lenses, filters etc until my skills develop?
Thanking you in advace for your help to a confused starter.

I thought the idea of the Coolpix was that you do not need more lenses or accessories as its all built into the camera :thinking: I had one of the more basic coolpix cameras and all the different settings were in the menu, so I could choose between portraits, landscapes, macro all by using the settings.

Does seem to be that way. Like i say i;m a total beginner, the only digital camera i have had prior to borrowing the coolpix was on a phone. Are you saying the camera is a jack of all trades master of none? Basically i'm on a small budget and am worried that if i fork out a fair amount of my wifes' new big telly fund on a camera, then catch the photo bug big style i'll have to upgrade the camera again very soon. Thanks for your reply i didnt know that was the case.

If you do catch the bug big time you could well have to upgrade, so make sure your wife has her tv first!! The camera I had did good basic pictures but the settings were all in camera so there was not a lot that could be changed re dof and that sort of thing, so if you want a lot of control over the look of the picture it may not be enough. Why not see if you can get the person offering it to show you how much it can do and let you have a go with it before you decide?

The coolpix I had took good enough pictures and they printed quite well, although I only ever did small prints. I know someone who got out a lot and had some super pictures from theirs that printed to A3 size.

Thanks very much, got that sorted. I've got a week off work next week and i've got the camera on loan so think i'm gonna spend the week getting to know it and taking pics, oh and buying a TV of course.

Back