Nikon Coolpix P520

Name
Geoff
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello folks,
I wonder if someone could answer my query please.

I have the above mentioned camera and the battery seems to have died. Do these re-chargeable batteries have a life, i.e reach a point where they won't hold a charge anymore?

If I need a new one, any recommendation where to buy where I am less likely to be sold a dud.

Many thanks.

My experience of working life from a battery is more than 10 years - I'm still occasionally using a Nikon D70. Try Amazon for a replacement - if it doesn't work as expected you can send it back.

My experience of working life from a battery is more than 10 years - I'm still occasionally using a Nikon D70. Try Amazon for a replacement - if it doesn't work as expected you can send it back.
Thank you for that ancient_mariner. I did try Amazon but it's not currently available through them. I'm a bit wary about eBay. I have just checked and I purchased the camera in the Summer of 2013, so it's been 9 years. Apologies for what seems like a very basic question but I'm an 81 year old, only slightly techie chappie!

Thank you for that ancient_mariner. I did try Amazon but it's not currently available through them. I'm a bit wary about eBay. I have just checked and I purchased the camera in the Summer of 2013, so it's been 9 years. Apologies for what seems like a very basic question but I'm an 81 year old, only slightly techie chappie!

The questions are fine - I'm a 60 yo whippersnapper, and one of the youngsters here.

There's a possibility that the battery is fine and the camera dead. What are the symptoms?

The questions are fine - I'm a 60 yo whippersnapper, and one of the youngsters here.

There's a possibility that the battery is fine and the camera dead. What are the symptoms?
Hi again, Gosh I hope that the camera isn't dead!! I put the camera on charge and then later when I came to use it, I managed to get a couple of shots but then an error message appeared on-screen that said Battery Exhausted.

EDIT: I decided to put my multimeter across the original battery and have got a reading of 3.67volts. The wording on the battery shows 3.7volts and so this worries me a little. I put the battery back in the camera and booted it up and I scanned through a few images and then the message reappeared saying Battery Exhausted. Surely a reading of 3.67v would seem to be fairly healthy. Is it possible to get a good reading even though it is effectively duff?

2nd EDIT: Did a bit of research and it seems that even though the battery is giving a good multimeter reading it can still be defective. I have taken the bull by the horns and ordered a new battery which should be with me tomorrow.
Thanks again for the help ancient_mariner

Last edited:
Sounds like the battery - if it delivers just below target voltage with no load then it will drop quite a bit if a demand is added.

Using the multimeter on the battery out of the camera you are only reading the no-load voltage. As soon as the camera fires up and you start using it the battery output drops to give the under-load message of 'Battery Exhausted'

I don't think £15 for a replacement battery is going to break the bank I would replace it and if no good send it back for a refund

Last edited:
Back