Nikon D lenses

Name
Jan
Edit My Images
Yes
Are the G lenses much better than the D lenses, I have the 50m & 85 d lenses, but wondering if there are any differences in the D & G, I love my 85, and can't see the new one being any sharper as this one is tack sharp, just wondering though, if I upgrade to D750.

Thanks Chris, I do love it, so I will keep it. It's nice to get views especially since you have used both.

Some prefer the bokeh of the older lenses. As well as the differences above G lenses have newer coatings making them less prone to flare.

G stands for 'gelded' meaning the aperture ring on the lens isn't present. It's a 'feature' of Nikon's more modern lenses which in turn means that they'll often have other modern features such as better lens coatings, silent wave focus motors and sometimes VR etc. Some 'D' lenses have these features too. It's really worth judging each lens on its own merits.

There is a difference. If that's worth paying for is very dependent on your shoot. Generally the G are better in high contrast or backlit situations. They also render colours slightly warmer. The G lenses are very useable in studio, whereas the
Ds blew goats there

Unclear whether or not there's any difference in image quality between the lenses (I'd agree the coating are better on the newer lenses - whether or not the clinical look is desirable or not is personal preference) but in the long run it's cheaper to get the non-motor D lenses because of the risk of the AF-S focus motor breaking. Also in the long term manual focus and aperture are more desirable as they can be adapted to more platforms.

Back