Nikon d200?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Jonny - none of the Nikon sites work for me and the other one doesn't carry too much new info. Watch this space ... still ?

Venomator said:
Hi Jonny - none of the Nikon sites work for me and the other one doesn't carry too much new info. Watch this space ... still ?
I've updated the links, they're working now ;)

Not being a Nikon man these mean nothing to me. I presume these are supposed images of Nikons new DSLR but what level of the market is it aimed at?

this has been a rumour for some time, be interesting to see if it actually arrives this time!h

Well Nikon have just brought out the D50 which is another entry level DSLR, so my guess looking at that camera is it's going to be aimed straight at the 20D market where Nikon currently have a bit of a gap. It looks pretty business - like, so it will be interestig to see the spec.

I have to admit that a short while ago I looked and handled a D70 and was very impressed with the build quality. All this Nikon/Canon mine is better than yours, really hacks me off, both manufacturers are very capable of making excellent equipment that compete on a level playing field. If I hadn't already bought into the Canon system and was on the market for a DSLR again, I would seriously look at the Nikon range. I am not saying I would change, just that I am not totally blinkered towards Canon.

Nikon and Canon have been supplying the needs of serious pro photographers for decades now and they take the feedback they get from these people very seriously, incorporating suggested changes in their new models, so as a result the cameras are continually evolving as working tools and IMHO are just that much better than other brands. Both cameras are backed up by an enormous system of lenses and accessories too, and I wouldn't seriously consider any other marque.

My Nikon F4 was without doubt the best film camera I ever used and it was a sad day when I parted with it. The rivalry between the two brands is continually forcing improvements and driving prices down for us end users, so it would be a sad day indeed if either marque went under. I don't really see it happening, but it had better be Nikon with my current commitment to Canon gear. :D

Rumour has it there will be more news on the 1st of November re the D200.

Steve said:
All this Nikon/Canon mine is better than yours, really hacks me off, both manufacturers are very capable of making excellent equipment that compete on a level playing field.

I have both Canon & Nikon so totally agree with you.

Steve said:
Not being a Nikon man these mean nothing to me. I presume these are supposed images of Nikons new DSLR but what level of the market is it aimed at?

The Nikon D-200 replaces the D-100, which was aimed at the same market as the Canon 10D. So, the D-200 will probably slot in the Canon 20D segment.

SDK^ said:
The Nikon D-200 replaces the D-100, which was aimed at the same market as the Canon 10D. So, the D-200 will probably slot in the Canon 20D segment.

Thank you sir, now when I am reading the rumours I will be able to gauge the features against something that I know.

and as for that 18-200 VR lens, i cant wait to get my hands on one of those to try :)

Since we are talking rumours...I have today been informed that Canon are worried by the supposed spec of the D200 and that they are likely to release a simplified 5D to counter...possibly called the 50D. This is getting interesting now :ponders:

Again only rumours so make of that what you will. :whistling

What's even more interesting in the long term is their respective stances on the 1:1 format. Canon's launch of the 5D at the price it is seems to clearly indicate their intention to bring this format available to the main stream user in the very near future, while Nikon have no intention of departing from their 1:5 format and I can't help thinking they might be right.

my Nvidia graphics card and Canon camera o\/\/n3 uR fanATIc Nikon ass

ooooohhh, i want one :)

5fps and 10 mega pix :banana: that'll do nicely

sorry no leet speak left in me this time

CT said:
it would be a sad day indeed if either marque went under. I don't really see it happening, but it had better be Nikon with my current commitment to Canon gear. :D

When Canon supply all the world's Law Enforcement and Military, then they may stay afloat.
My department alone spent nearly 6 million this year on new cameras and lenses, just upgrading from previous models. That's for 27 photographers.
The Royal Navy re-equipped all it photographers with D2x cameras to replace the Hasselblads they use for groups and portraits and the RAF will re-equip all thier PR photographers (over 100 of them) with D2x bodies to replace the D1H's they've been using for the past three years.
I was speaking to the US Army Combat Camera Team leader ( a 'full' or 'Bird' Colonel) about the new equipment we've just bought and he was saying that he was pushing through the budget requirement to re-equip all US military photographers (Army, USAF, Navy and USMC) with the D2x by the end of this year. It's unheard of for the US military to all 'sing off the same songsheet', and until now the USMC have used Canon.
Even the Iraqi Army photographer I bumped into in Baghdad was using a D100.

Canon may make a superior product (I've only handled one briefly, so I don't know) but until they offer the same after-marked professional backup as Nikon, they're on the back-foot.
I can take my kit into Nikon in Richmond, hand it all over the counter of the service department, go downstairs for a coffee and an hour or two later, the service manager comes down to tell me all my kit's been cleaned and serviced and ready to go.
When my D1x went a bit Pete Tong after its firmware upgrade, Nikon just loaned me another one until it was sorted.
When I needed a macro lens for some medical stuff I was doing, they just lent me all the kit I needed, no questions asked. No fee required.

I still have my 'old' F5 and although I'll probably never use it again in anger, I'll never sell it, whereas my Leica may well go to finance a set of alloys for the car...

Arkady said:
I still have my 'old' F5 and although I'll probably never use it again in anger, I'll never sell it, whereas my Leica may well go to finance a set of alloys for the car...

Nooooo!! Keep the Leica - f*** the alloys. What model is it?

Hmmm. wonder if it's time to think about replacing my D70!

Not that I can afford it, and I reckon the D200 might come out around the £1200+ mark.

evilowl said:
Leaked site:

http://www.photoshoot.in/d200.htm

More info:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/301237/0

Looks like I've found my next purchase :)

RRP is $1699 which is under £1k so a direct competitior to the 20d

...under £1000..tempting! wonder how much I'd get for my D70 :confused-

:eek:fftopic: notice u've got the D70 kit and the sigma 12-24, does that turn out much wider than the 18-70 kit lens? I've been thinking about that 12/24 sigma lens for a while.

Davey, I'm sure the D200 is going to be a great camera, but you might do better spending the money on good glass and and see as good or better an improvement in your shots. It isn't all about pixel count the way it used to be, and there'll always be a newer, 'better' camera just around the corner, but you need good glass to really take advantage of the improvements. As your camera bodies come and go over the years, the lenses will still be there. ;)

CT said:
Nooooo!! Keep the Leica - f*** the alloys. What model is it?

It's a black M6 (not the TTL - I already sold that, almost unused as I never bothered with a flash - the 'normal' M6 looked better anyway due to the TTL being 2.5mm higher to accommodate the electrics).

It'll go with a 35mm f/2 Summicron

Agree with everyone about the lenses though - the new lightweight budget optics just aren't as sharp as the older heavy glass ones. Too much polycarbonate used in the internal elements IMHO. I really notice the difference not just in terms of sharpness but colour as well. My old 28-70 f/2.8 is markedly better than the newer version even though it weighs twice as much.

Joe T said:
With the normal £-$ exchange rate in the real world, I would make that at least £1200, maybe quite a bit more than that.

..mathematics never was my strongpoint :whistling

DavidUK said:
:eek:fftopic: notice u've got the D70 kit and the sigma 12-24, does that turn out much wider than the 18-70 kit lens? I've been thinking about that 12/24 sigma lens for a while.

Yeah it does go a fair bit wider as you would expect. It's a superb lens in every way, but if I had the money to spend on wide angle glass now I would probably go for the Sigma 10-20 which wasn't available when I got my 12-24 last year

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/lenses_all_details.asp?id=3301&navigator=6

The best bit is that it's a lot cheaper too!

http://www.onestop-digital.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=24_28&products_id=130

Joe T said:
With the normal £-$ exchange rate in the real world, I would make that at least £1200, maybe quite a bit more than that.

The $1699 price that seems to be floating about is not a manufacturers suggested retail price from what I can make out. That will be closer to £1200 but in reality you can get the Canon 20D for as little as £800 odd (body only) so I would guess the web prices for the D200 will be very similar within a few months of release.

I'll probably upgrade my D70 to the D200 at some point next year, I'll keep my D70 body though as it won't be worth much second hand and I'll just give it to my g/f to use.

The new 18-200 VR lens shown in the release pictures is not really being talked about though, and tbh this looks like a great general-purpose bit of glass. I'm certainly looking forward to getting my hands on it!

ouch! typical that the UK gets stiffed on the prices though :annoyed:

Well I'd better get down the docks and start offering handjobs for cash a bit earlier than I had hoped to :LOL:

:coat:

evilowl said:
ouch! typical that the UK gets stiffed on the prices though

I can see alot of people importing this one if it does indeed come in at $1699 in the US, unless the UK based sellers cut a good chunk of RRP... £300 or so is quite a saving.

p.s. I'm not even gonna comment on the other part of your post :shock: :D

Nice camera! I'd expect the UK price to be down around a £1000 a few months after launch if you can manage to wait.

evilowl said:
Yeah it does go a fair bit wider as you would expect. It's a superb lens in every way, but if I had the money to spend on wide angle glass now I would probably go for the Sigma 10-20 which wasn't available when I got my 12-24 last year

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/lenses_all_details.asp?id=3301&navigator=6

The best bit is that it's a lot cheaper too!

http://www.onestop-digital.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=24_28&products_id=130

...thanks evilowl :) I may look at purchasing one of those when I have the necessary funds!

CT said:
I'd expect the UK price to be down around a £1000 a few months after launch if you can manage to wait.

I expect your right, once Canon release the 20D replacement (rumoured to be around Febuary) it should start off a nice little price war in the shops, everyone wins... for that one reason alone Canon and Nikon fans should get along better :D

Both sides are being treated to some exciting and very highly specked cameras of late. The 5D from Canon has filled a gap and answered the calls buy the full frame brigade and now Nikon has released the D200 with full weather sealing and a larger sensor. Again catering to a certain market.

Both sides will gain new customers due to these cameras and like you say the battle of the manufactures will continue, giving us the customer more choice and helping our wallets become lighter.

Well, I hope it lives up to the hype as I've just pre-ordered the D200 and 18-200mm VR :D

Back