Nikon D3 autofocus point lock switch problem

Name
Steve Hall
Edit My Images
No
Does anyone know how to remove the autofocus point lock switch on a D3? For some reason the switch on this body is extremely tight (cannot move by hand, but can with a tool) so I'm assuming it's either incorrectly fitted or has some dirt in behind causing the problem. I'd like to remove it to check, clean & refit in the hope that sorts it out but reluctant to start dismantling the body if that's what it takes - is it press fit so could prise out or will I just break it? :D Alternatively, if anyone has had this issue before and fixed it I'd love to know how!

Attachments

• ND3_0678lr.jpg
    ND3_0678lr.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 18
  • ND3_0679lr.jpg
    ND3_0679lr.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 18
I reckon it is dirt or grit behind the selector switch causing this judging by the scratches, Maybe a slither of paper underneath to try to push away the offending item/s?

I am sure there will be some sort of workshop manual for the older Nikons on the web somewhere. the cost of sending the camera to somewhere like Fixations probably outweighs the value of the camera now.

Good luck!

I reckon it is dirt or grit behind the selector switch causing this judging by the scratches, Maybe a slither of paper underneath to try to push away the offending item/s?

I am sure there will be some sort of workshop manual for the older Nikons on the web somewhere. the cost of sending the camera to somewhere like Fixations probably outweighs the value of the camera now.

Good luck!
Yeah that's my thinking. It feels like it's been far too tightly fitted - which is indicative of something being trapped behind it. I've tried getting behind but it's too tight, hence I was hoping it might just pull off and I can hoover it out. Not found a good manual yet but the search continues!

I wonder if a discussion with Fixation would throw some light on the issue and whether there is a 'user/DIY' solution?

I wonder if a discussion with Fixation would throw some light on the issue and whether there is a 'user/DIY' solution?
As alluded to above, it's really not worth going to repair centre - it's worth £250 on a good day and personally I tend to keep the focus locked centre anyway. Fixation would have the bill above that in no time, let alone the hassle of getting it there then back again....

Yeah that's my thinking. It feels like it's been far too tightly fitted - which is indicative of something being trapped behind it. I've tried getting behind but it's too tight, hence I was hoping it might just pull off and I can hoover it out. Not found a good manual yet but the search continues!
Tried floss?

Can't get floss behind it; I probably could if I wedge the switch up but I dare say it'll end up stuck in there, doubling the problem :D Honestly, it feels like the whole switch is just too tightly attached. I'm going to leave it in the locked position; if it really needs to move it can, just not by hand. Was hoping it would just prise off but I'm guessing it's not made that way

Been through loads mate, very detailed but the one detail missing is how to remove that switch :(
Oh! none too sure of the cost would be uneconomic, IIRC there is guy in East Sussex (last mentioned I think on another though lens repair thread) who perhaps could help with what sounds like a mainly mechanical repair?

One might hope he could at least quote a price that might be worth it to you?

Drop a message to Alan. Very helpful chap.

Looks like it might be advice only......on the surmise he is indeed happy to do so.......copied from his site page.

Site Last Updated: 18th January 2024

Hi there,

Further to my message last month, I have now decided to retire.

I’ve had a good run, nearly 38 years of repairing cameras and lenses but now my close up eyesight is not so good, spare parts have gone up in price and become more difficult to obtain so It’s time to call it a day.

Needless to say all work on the premises will be completed and any warranty work will be undertaken for the next six months.

Thank you to all my customers over the years. It’s been fun.

The business is for sale if anyone is interested ……. Drop me a line for more details.​

Looks like it might be advice only......on the surmise he is indeed happy to do so.......copied from his site page.

Site Last Updated: 18th January 2024

Hi there,

Further to my message last month, I have now decided to retire.

I’ve had a good run, nearly 38 years of repairing cameras and lenses but now my close up eyesight is not so good, spare parts have gone up in price and become more difficult to obtain so It’s time to call it a day.

Needless to say all work on the premises will be completed and any warranty work will be undertaken for the next six months.

Thank you to all my customers over the years. It’s been fun.

The business is for sale if anyone is interested ……. Drop me a line for more details.​
Real shame.

Back